Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby Petersueco » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:36 am

Hi Dan,

It's in the Database > d8bMkII. Here!

And the Dream Console video:

And your own custom console: The dWb ;~)
dwbMkII-add.jpg
The Dan Worley Beast.
dwbMkII-add.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2309 times
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby High C Double G » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Yep I LOVE the d8b MkII - those were some good times and some good conversation way back when. There are lots of things the C24 will do that the…

MFII - A software controller system for the d8b digital console. Everything you need is in the box.

… will not do, but for what it is and the fact that it will still function like a normal d8b is inspiring and very exciting to say the least… we already have HUI on board in v5.1 but like Marc says… “it’s a totally new way of working” well I just can not wait, but I guess I will have to wait. I had high hopes for the d8b MkII and this the

MFII - A software controller system for the d8b digital console. Everything you need is in the box.

seems like it is really going to happen. I am dancing around the studio right now, good thing I am not on a live video feed, I might get a little embarrassed (even though I am a good dancer)… :lol:
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:19 pm

I am optimistically excited to see it happen, and I will be jumping on it at soon as it becomes available, I guess I'm just a bit skeptical as too HOW MUCH assignability and control you'll actually be able to achieve with it. What will the LED display and Fat channels do? How much customization is possible? Will there be a standard template config with optional templates, or user customizable templates? Will I still have auto-learnable surface mapping in Sonar X1, where once I tell it what my control surface/s are, I can simply right click on any button, fader, etc. in my DAW and using the Remote Control option, assign it any available, button, fader, v-pot, etc. on my control surface automatically? THAT is the 64,000 dollar question. Does 3MCU's equal smooth compatibility to existing DAW control surface auto-assign functions?
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:29 am

May I suggest... for an avatar?

I was actually looking for a photo of Ted Nugent with an axe, but came up with this... Love this one, especially... well just everything, but the K-tel at the bottom is just classic!

Carry on! and Rock On!!!

MPD
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Salvator » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:59 am

Hello Marc,

I'm a programmer and also can help with mac development.
Funny enough I also did my own d8B midi reverse engineering last year, in order to use the D8b with my protools HD rig as a triple HUI. :mrgreen:
I had some good results, but it was thru midi only, and I didn't made the level meters (only faders/mutes/solo etc...)

Your approach is much more in depth and I would be glad to participate for helping the mac/protools port.
So I know some of the midi implementation of HUI that I collected by analysing all the midi messages etc.., OSX core midi (IAD drivers etc...) , can code the mac software with C++ or max msp.
Let me know,
Cheers !

Salvator
Salvator

Postby Salvator » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Daw-8B
Salvator

Postby Axeman098 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Wow, hey Marc, I just realized that the C24 actually has 16 XLR inputs.....wow....now if only we could somehow integrate the Audio I/O section, you would truly have everything a C24 can do and then some. While I DO realize you guys are still working dilligently to perfect the Control Surface, what exactly would be involved, or is it even possible to incorporate the audio I/O into the mod later on??? Maybe 2 versions....1 for Control surface only, and 1 for Control Surface & Audio I/O with two appropriate pricing stages.... just a thought.

C|24 Key Features
•Direct hands-on access to recording, editing, routing, and mixing functions in Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools LE
•24 bankable channel strips, each with a touch-sensitive, motorized fader and dedicated Mute, Solo, Select, Input, Record, EQ, Dynamics, Insert, Send, and Automation buttons
•Easy-to-read, 6-character, dual-row LED scribble strip displays provide instant visual feedback for channel names, plug-in parameters, sends, panning, and other editing functions
•24 high-quality rotary encoders with LED rings
16 high-quality mic / line / DI preamps with high-pass filters and variable input gain allow direct mic, instrument, and line-level connections (via DB25) for recording through a Avid audio interface
•8-channel stereo line submixer, which can be routed directly to the monitor section
Professional, integrated 5.1 surround analog monitor system with trimmable inputs and outputs
Built-in talkback mic and inputs for remote talkback and listenback
•External power supply allows for a more streamlined console design

Sad part is, now that I have fully realized the potential of the C/24 now I REALLY want one :P Anybody got $10k lying around I can borrow? (grin) I mean wow...all that AND 16 audio inputs without having to resort to external pre's???.....DROOL....
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Believe me you have hit just the tip of the Iceberg Axeman... They are all over post houses and studios here in LA. A very systematic useable surface that just makes a whole lot of sense albeit I agree that the price tag is steep but that is "Digidesign” for you. I think it is kudos to the d8b that it looks so much like it. ha ha – rip off!

And to Salvator, how is it you used the d8b in a PT HD rig? I am really not getting how you would do this given how that thing is configured and how the pieces of that particular system is put together and why would you? I don’t mean to be rude, but I just don’t get it… could you elaborate just a little. thanks…

Regards,
High C Double G
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:00 am

You could have limited functionality in Pro Tools as a control surface only, using MIDI and HUI layers (someone please correct me if I am wrong), no Meters unless you did what Marc did and reverse engineered that.

"as a triple HUI.
I had some good results, but it was thru midi only, and I didn't made the level meters (only faders/mutes/solo etc...)"

Again, I see where this would easily be possible based on what I've seen Marc accomplish. As for the C24, IF Marc efforts are able to open up most of the board to assignment, The only thing you'll really be missing vs. the C/24 is the use of the onboard Audio I/O. "Digidesign" stuff is always retardedly over-priced, BUT you DO usually get the best there is for the mind numbing price. $10k is a chunk of change, but only to most home enthusiasts. A production house could run 2 side by side for just under $20K, and have 32 inputs, full dynamic control Surface, and smooth as butter Pro Tools integrated functionality, and not bat an eyelash....I'd have to get a second mortgage.... :/

I am crossing my fingers and saying little prayers that Marc is able to fully open up most of the D8B surface......cause I aint gettin a second mortgage anytime soon ;) I'll run an SKB case with the Mackie CPU, 3 8 channel Pre's(Probably a Profire 26/26 and a couple of 8 Pre's), and some external effects stuff like an Alesis Quadraverb (old school hehehe), and a DBX Compressor if I HAVE to. I can configure a setup to use of course, but as compared to a $10K C|24, I'd pay a good penny in comparison to have the D8B's Analog I/O as well as the control surface. I used to have a Tascam FW-1884 Control surface with 8 XLR inputs, and loved having everything all in one unit. Hell, I'd fork out a good chunk of change for that luxury if it were even possible somewhere down the road. Even though realistically, the M-Audio Pre's are probably better in comparison, I'd still DROOL to have the entire D8B Audio I/O available as well. Or at least just the first 24 channels ;) That would be tha sh*t! :P
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Soundchasm » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 am

Hello Marc,
Please disregard this post, but all you have to do is faders, mute, solo, select, pan and record ready for 24 tracks and I'll be ready to buy your most excellent product. I'm posting primarily to start getting notifications when someone responds to this thread.

One strategy would be to start modestly, let us buy, road test and wreck all your work, and then start a slow and deliberate development and enhancement of your product. Charge us for each new feature you develop. :D

Thanks,
Greg
Soundchasm
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum