Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby Francois Vezina » Thu May 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Hello everyone!

I may have not been posting but I have been reading your comments and everything! :)

@synthjoe: that is exactly right. We can't get rid of the computer box because of the power it supplies BUT I'm tempted to say that it may be something possible to do at some point. The only problem is the connector itself. It's not exactly standard :)

@everyone: Marc said to look at the VFD if you want proof... problem I can't even read it right on the video so here's what it says in case people wondered:
"Java MCU Code: Francois Vezina"
"(C)2011 www.MarcGirard.com"

Anyway, that's it for me... just wanted to say hi to everybody at the same time ;)
Francois Vezina

Postby synthjoe » Thu May 05, 2011 4:55 pm

OK, I've done my homework (reading through the whole thread) and I believe I have the answer to my questions above (MCU done via direct serial, not Etherned or d8b MIDI). However, I'm surprised that the original CPU was too unreliable for the RS232 to Ethernet conversion. Maybe an embedded OS and dual boot (embedded vs. Mackie OS) on the d8b CPU would remedy this?

Concerning Marc's financing question, I'd throw in 200 bucks for such a tested and working solution without thinking twice.
I'm using XP (or Win98/ME on a 366MHz PII MMX, whenever I can... :D).

As to getting completely rid of the d8b CPU/PSU:

anyhorizon wrote:The +/- 16 volt rails do a lot more than run the faders. In fact they're the main power for the board. I thought the 5 and 12 volt supplies were mainly for the board logic and CPU functions.

Peter

Off the top of my head, so don't shoot me if I'm missing something. There are three power supplies in the box.
1) The PC style PSU goes to the CPU motherboard (+/-5V and +/-12V), supplying at the same time +12 volts for the fader actuator motors, V-pot and fader position A/D converters and (regulated down from the +12 going to the motors) +5V for V-pot and fader position readout.
2) The single +5V switching PSU (Aztec) supplies the main voltage for all logic and the A/D-D/A converters, VFD, LEDs, DSPs, etc.
3) The third (linear) supply gives +/-16 volts for the analogue circuits (op-amps on inputs and outputs) as well as +48V for the phantom.

If one is ready to give up all analogue funcions (I/O, talkback, etc.) of the desk, the linear PSU can be discarded right away. If the d8b CPU motherboard is unused, you can leave out the PC style PSU as well, keeping in mind that +12V has to be supplied for the motors and v-pot/fader readout to work. That leaves us with a supply need of +5V (current rating unknown) and +12V for the controls/motors (current rating within normal PC supply spec).

As I see, it would be probably possible to take a higher capaity PC PSU and to replace the BFC with an IEC mains connector, going to this PSU inside the d8b. +12V is currently provided by the PC style PSU, so the new PSU would no doubt be adequate for the job (even more so, because there's no load from the d8b CPU motherboard).

As to the +5V, even if the required current rating is too high with all circuits connected, you can probably disconnect the DSP, DCA and CODEC boards (plus all expansion boards) which would more than likely reduce current requirement to fall well within the rating of a regular PC PSU (DSP probably being the heaviest load, followed by CODEC and DCA).

So, if someone is really willing to go that way, I think that a single box 'controller' type d8b is quite feasible (some tinkering notwithstanding ;)).
Last edited by synthjoe on Thu May 05, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Thu May 05, 2011 4:57 pm

synthjoe wrote:BTW, I guess you cannot get rid of the CPU box because of the power supply, but the serial cable is disconnected and goes directly to the PC, right? Not using the regular MIDI out of the D8B, are you? Maybe you boot the d8b CPU with a small remote host/client SW to the DAW via Ethernet? This latter would be way too cool... :D

This was the original plan for that D8B project. You can have a look at the first videos posted a while ago, my laptop is controlling the D8B via Wi-Fi and it works. We could go down that route but one of the most fragile parts of the D8B is the old computer bundled in the power supply... So we decided it'd be probably better bypassing the computer all along. It's faster, more stable and can prolong the life of the D8B itself (even if the computer is dead). Installation and operation is easier for the user too, since there's no software running on the D8B anymore. For all those good reasons, we decided to leave the ethernet route.

synthjoe wrote:Reichelt.de sells them for around EUR 18, but their shipping policy is not that nice (a minimum order of about EUR 200 lingers in my memories but I might be wrong). Still, it might be OK if you want to purchase 10-14 pieces, or so...

I had few orders with them years ago when I lived nearer to them (Ntherlands) and was always a happy customer. If you order, I'd be curious to hear about your experiences - maybe I'd order some myself!

Casey sold me a few faders, he was kind enough to cut me a killer deal... Thanks for the info.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby synthjoe » Thu May 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Marc Girard wrote:So we decided it'd be probably better bypassing the computer all along. It's faster, more stable and can prolong the life of the D8B itself (even if the computer is dead). Installation and operation is easier for the user too, since there's no software running on the D8B anymore. For all those good reasons, we decided to leave the ethernet route.

Yeah, I got that when going through all the posts, as mentioned 2 posts above - sorry for being late to the party.
However, several manufacturers provide industrial grade WiFi to serial, or LAN to serial solutions (Lantronix is a good example), which might work and would be übercool (especially WiFi). Once the basics are working, you might want to consider that...

A single box (no external PSU) WiFi d8b controller would probably annihilate any current controller on the market (well, maybe not an ICON, but that's a quite different league).

I'm really holding my breath for this project's success! Go, go, go!
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Fri May 06, 2011 12:59 am

Video from the last page... In case you missed it!

Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby FrankH » Sat May 07, 2011 9:04 am

Just a little curious, Marc.....what's going on with fader 1? It appears to be completely attenuated but the metering and audio is seen and heard.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Sat May 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Nobod8by's perfect :-)

I have to say that the scrolling channel feature is genius !

Thanks for doing this guys!
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Marc Girard » Sat May 07, 2011 6:13 pm

FrankH wrote:Just a little curious, Marc.....what's going on with fader 1? It appears to be completely attenuated but the metering and audio is seen and heard.

Yes, got problems with fader #1, it gets stucked on the infinity (lowest) position and it's refusing any moves. I've got trouble with fader #12 too, it's working but it's a bit lazy! Slow updates and gets stucked in the middle of its travel... Casey sold me replacement faders last week, I'm waiting for them as we speak, I'll fix this sucker up! :) I also bought metallic fader caps to replace the white ones, just for looks... It'll look more like a big HUI! :)

Cheers,

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby Marc Girard » Sat May 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a cool name for the project now! I want something more original than "D8B Remote" or "D8B Controller" (those are the names we are using). I thought about "DAW8B" which is funny, but I'm open to suggestions!

Cheers,

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sat May 07, 2011 7:17 pm

GVUC 24 "Girard Vezina Ultimate Controller 24"

there is nothing wrong with a little shameless self promotion :D

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5