Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby siraltus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Peter, I'm well aware that in controller mode DSP will not function - that's why I'm silently hoping that mayhaps after completing the control surface phase of the project and having it nice and stable, Marc would embark on phase two and get limited DSP functionality going (control room, clock card - that's all we really need). :) I like the sound of the Apogee clock card (call me deaf...) and don't have a thousand or so bucks to get an external clock...
siraltus

Postby m33 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:21 am

My damn hard drive just crashed on me. So needless to say, I'm ready to move this bad boy to a glorified DAW controller and ditch the audio portion completely. I have great converters anyway so I'm cool on that.

@Marc I'd definitely pay a couple hundred dollars -as long as it's Mac compatible (lots of audio guys usem). In fact, I'd even pay a little more and be willing to pay up-front to help with dev costs. All I would ask is to be on the list of first delivery.

Hit me up if you're interested.

M33
m33

Postby Timbre Lodge » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:16 am

OMG! I just ran across this thread from the old forum and have read the entire thing. This is so amazing we currently run dual d8bs and have been discussing our options for upgrading to the whole ITB thing with a DAW. I am old school analog, love my rotory potentiometers and my d8bs. You can count me in on the conversion/upgrade X2. Thank you Marc! You have our support.
Timbre Lodge

Postby jumbodingo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:59 am

@Marc- Put me on the list too. Daw controller is my goal as well. Most of the mic pre style firewire interfaces are $600.00 or more. I had the Tascam FW 1884 + 2 FE 8 expanders to control my DAW and that was $1300.00 used. I'd gladly drop $500 to convert my D8b into a controller with you're "Genius Box" and cable. That's it !! G8B ... get it !! Baha :)
jumbodingo

Postby Marc Girard » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:00 am

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello, we're kinda busy on our sides... Frank was struggling with what he thought was a serial cable problem, or a d8b bug. That held us back from making progress. Frank finally squashed the bug, looks like the d8b board can't accept serial commands faster than 50ms on each transmits. Back in the Pentium 133mhz days, I presume it was "normal", but now days the computers are so powerful and so fast that the d8b seemed unhappy about us talking to it a little too fast.

Awesome news: Frank found out how to make the jog wheel work! It's the only thing I couldn't find when I was reverse-engineering the protocol. I'd love to implement the "channel scrolling" feature like the SSL Nucleus, it's simply awesome! But, let's not get carried away, still got to do the basic stuff. Frank will probably have a video ready soon.

Take care and thanks guys for the support, means a lot to us.

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby BJG » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Frank. Thanks for keeping us updated guys. Amazing work!
BJG

Postby fishtail » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Count me in on the upgrade as well. This could be the answer many of us have been looking for: except the d8bmk2 which we all really wanted : ;)
Thanks to all who have the skill and determination to make this happen, this is legendary stuff.
Marco
fishtail
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby neto117 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 am

:shock: I've been following this thread from day one and religiously checking for updates on a daily basis, I'm eager to see the end result of all the hard work that Marc and company are putting into this project. Can't wait to be able to contol SONAR which I've been upgrading practically since it came out and haven't really used much because I din't want to give up the feel of a real mixing console. I just got finished building a dedicated audio DAW to use with sonar and hopefully be able to incorporate it to my D8B rig with the help of Marc & CO. creation... :arrow: Needless to say I'm in this bandwagon from the day it started rolling...Keep up the good work. :D

Ernesto
D8B 5.1, PROBOX, Tascam FW-1804 & US-1800, Scarlett 18i20 Audio Interfaces, Win10 PRO, AMD PhenII X6 3.3 GHz, 16gb Ram, SONAR Platinum, Five 1tb HDs One for OS & Progs Four Mirrored in 2 Vols for Audio & Video files and a 60G SSD.
neto117

Postby bitSync » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:26 am

@Marc,

1. Is there anything about the DAW DLL interface looking like MCU MIDI that would constrict the speed limit of MIDI messages translated to d8b serial? Or does the DLL not using any MIDI device drivers overcome that bandwidth restriction?

2. Apart from the meters bouncing to the channel levels, is there anything that your approach accomplishes that a d8b MIDI mapping would not? Greater MIDI value resolutions?

Thanks
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:22 am

bitSync wrote:1. Is there anything about the DAW DLL interface looking like MCU MIDI that would constrict the speed limit of MIDI messages translated to d8b serial? Or does the DLL not using any MIDI device drivers overcome that bandwidth restriction?

Well, we're still writing the code for MIDI (virtual ports and all) but in theory, the limit would be the speed of the d8b itself, 115200 bauds (around 11k/sec) which is about 3.5 times faster than your normal MIDI speed. We should be fine.

bitSync wrote:2. Apart from the meters bouncing to the channel levels, is there anything that your approach accomplishes that a d8b MIDI mapping would not? Greater MIDI value resolutions?

Yes, we'll have greater fader resolution. Actually, twice the resolution. The d8b transmits steps between 0 to 127, standard for MIDI volume control. Since our software talks directly to the board, it'll push it to 256 steps, without the infamous 0db/normaling error.

Other planned features would include:

- Full time display/location of DAW (without the need of SMPTE or anything else)
- Pan pots without rounding errors (Center will no be 1L or 1R)
- Audio scrubing with Jog Wheel
- Channel Scrolling with Jog Wheel
- VFD Display that shows selected channel name, few surprises too coming in that dept.
- Transport and locator buttons support

Got some ideas for the "channel leds" too as they will have no use... Might light up green and go red when overload happens... Still looking what to do with the "Assign" button. Might be converterted into a "read" button since it's right on top of "write". Anyway, as you can see, there's still a lot of stuff to think about!

Any ideas are welcome,

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum