Change font size   Print view

worried about the forum

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

worried about the forum

Postby Old School » Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:16 pm

Hi All,
Since no one seems to be able to contact Peter, I looked up the domain of this forum to see if there was any contact information listed for him. Didn't find any but I did find out that the Registry for this site expires on the 24th of November of 2024. That's only 4 months from now, should we be worried? I'm not sure how these things work.

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: worried about the forum

Postby doktor1360 » Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:57 pm

Old School wrote:Hi All,
Since no one seems to be able to contact Peter, I looked up the domain of this forum to see if there was any contact information listed for him. Didn't find any but I did find out that the Registry for this site expires on the 24th of November of 2024. That's only 4 months from now, should we be worried? I'm not sure how these things work.

Have a blessed day,
Mike

I don't know about worried... concerned? Yeah, I did some digging as well, and there's not a whole lotta info available... and after seeing that his studio site is 'experiencing technical difficulties' - well, that's not a real good sign, as that's the site of his primary business endeavors to my understanding:

https://www.sonido-7.com/studio/

What does that mean? A lot of speculation until someone/anyone can confirm otherwise. The TLD (top level domain) isn't going anywhere (sonido) in the near term, it's active until 09-MAY-2025... after that, it's anyone's guess. If the bills ain't paid, it's gonna come down... we all know that, business is business...

What to do... somehow, contact Peter or someone who can, I reckon... :|
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:22 am

Because he did a job for me about 11 years ago I did have his phone number, mailing address and email address, but unfortunately the email program that I used (Eudora) crashed and had to be reinstalled, but in the process it erased most of the files --- probably as a result of my complete lack of computer information stuff !!!

I have just done a search through what I was able to salvage at the time and came across the email address that we used, that being --- peter@sonido-7.com -----

Similar to DOK's but without the "studio" reference.

If I am able to find any reference to the original communications, I will pass them along.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:21 am

I have the same email address which worked a few years ago?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:38 pm

That's his email address, I unearthed a contact info page of his :

https://www.sonido-7.com/sonido7/contacts_es.html

I have no idea how valid the this is, it's 16+ yrs old...
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:53 am

last email i sent to peter was of the same concern asking if he was still about stating a couple of guys were asking
that was "Sat May 11, 2024 7:09"
and i have not had a reply ! and to be fair to peter he always got back to you pretty quick.
Last edited by funk on Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Postby csp » Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:17 am

DOK,

I can't be 100% positive but I think that the details you have given were what I had about 11 yrs ago.

Not sure if Peter speaks much English as I don't remember actually speaking to him, but all written communications were in perfect English.

I have no idea if anyone on the forum speaks Spanish or knows anyone who does, who might be able to phone him (after being well versed in what to say/ask him) and see if thery get a response from anyone --- even if not Peter the person answering the phone might have some information that could be passed on to us.

I know a chap who is Spanish, but he lives about 80 miles away and I would want to be with him when he makes the call so that I could guide him or answer any questions while he is talking --- only problem is that he seldom comes to my general location.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:29 pm

Hi All,
I have a mexican group coming to my studio in 2 weeks, I know the dialect is a little different but usually people from Spain and Mexico can easily communicate. I am not quite sure what questions to ask or how to ask them. Perhaps one of you guys could write me a script? At any rate I will have Juan make the call on the 27th unless one of you manages to contact him sooner.

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:04 pm

Hi All,
We may have other problems. I just found this when checking how the software for this site works. Suggestions? I am out of my depth here.

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Attachments
website info.jpg
website info.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 532 times
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:24 pm

Old School wrote:Hi All,
We may have other problems. I just found this when checking how the software for this site works. Suggestions? I am out of my depth here.

Have a blessed day,
Mike

In a nutshell, the version of this bulletin board software app is ancient. The whole site probably hasn't been upgraded in some time. It's pretty clear this site needs maintenance on a regular basis; I did this sort of thing professionally for many years so I'm not commenting off the cuff. The database (MySQL/MariaDB) is gonna require migration as well (I'm sure of it), and if a person doesn't know wtf they're doing here, the end results could be catastrophic (loss of data and/or corruption, etc). It's not Rocket Science, but it's not something I would recommend for a person with little to no experience performing these activities. An alternate plan is almost a requirement at this point if the desire is to keep this community functional... that's not a small endeavor, even from the technical perspective, It doesn't even speak of ongoing maintenance and support (financially, etc). Somehow, the bills have to be paid and the 'new' site will have to be monitored / maintained...

It's fair to say this bulletin board and the community it supports are now on the clock...

Thoughts?
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum