Change font size   Print view

Very Loud CPU! How so silence it?

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

Very Loud CPU! How so silence it?

Postby frama78 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:36 am

Hi there, since i use the D8bridge, i actually don´t need the CPU anymore. exept as power supply.

my D8B-CPU ist terribly loud and an Iso-Case was not the trick. Still too loud for me! Is there a posibility to:

- replace the CPU-Fan and the Power Supply with a quieter one? What Part´s do I need?

- build an alternate PS stright into the D8B and Leave the CPU itself off?

Since I actually want to to keep the D8B´s mixing-option, i´d prefer the first option. but if there´s a simple and reversible opertunity to switch the CPU off. thats my nuber one.

Frank
frama78

Re: Very Loud CPU! How so silence it?

Postby deanoh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi Frank,

Marc wrote here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=505

"Yes, mine is quite noisy too... You can attenuate the noise by unplugging the CPU fan, the Hard Disk and the Motherboard connector. It's quite easy, as the CPU fan and Hard Disk are connected on a splitter (on my unit). Be sure to pull the power off the motherboard and the noise should be reduced. If it's not, your PSU fan might be dirty, a good clean up will be required. Good luck!"

As for your second question, a few of us are thinking about building one but we are not there yet. Stay tuned!
There are only a couple of pages on the D8Bridge Forum, if you look around, you'll find most of your answers...

Regards,
Deanoh
deanoh

Postby Petersueco » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:15 pm

There are some things you can do to lower the CPU noise.

Quiet d8b: In Search Of
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NigelC » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:09 am

I changed the CPU Fan and PSU Fan (cannot remember the exact make but I think it was Fractal Design), I just made sure the fan sizes were the same. I seem to remember having to fiddle with the wires as the new ones had different colours.

I got mine from a company called QuietPC http://www.quietpc.com/

I also fitted some case soundproofing foam.

It is a lot better, however I find on startup its quite noisy and after lots of investigation it seems that the CPU fan spins so fast it vibrates its mounting. But after about 20 seconds it stops making noise and is silent for the rest of the session. I guess maybe the speed gets auto adjusted?

Either way its a lot better. The only improvement could maybe be had from a Solid State Drive. I also think rack mounting can make the noise worse as its sitting in a metal rack as opposed to resting on rubber feet.
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby frama78 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:00 am

well... thank you! so i´d have to take a closer look to the fans inside first.

i´ve build a new wooden housing and filled it up with foam. it also is now 2 meters away from my desk and it´s much better but recording (acoustic guit/vocals) in this room isn´t still the best!

i´m also a bit scared, because the ventilation. i have to check the temperature very well.

Frank

EDIT:
"You can attenuate the noise by unplugging the CPU fan, the Hard Disk and the Motherboard connector. It's quite easy, as the CPU fan and Hard Disk are connected on a splitter (on my unit). Be sure to pull the power off the motherboard and the noise should be reduced"

ok; the cpu-fan and the HDD-connectors are clear to me. but wich one is the motherboard connector?

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/photos.html

i think, i have the old version. :oops:
frama78

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Solved

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby frama78 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:25 am

indeed! the loudest parts are the cpu-fan and the HDD! i pulled the connections and use my D8-Bridge only! it´s a pleasure now :)
frama78

Postby deanoh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:21 pm

Frank wrote:

"Hi there, since i use the D8bridge, i actually don´t need the CPU anymore. exept as power supply."

So unless Frank is going to use it the way the desk was intended to be used or both d8bridge and audio I/O, all he needs to do really, is what Marc suggested and clean/replace the internal PSU fan.

Regards,

Deanoh
deanoh

Postby Red Carpet » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 pm

if you pull off the power from the main board u get the twitchy fader so if you find yourself in this position you know what to do :idea:
Red Carpet

Return to D8Bridge Forum