Change font size   Print view

Faders 1-16 stuck in the infi position

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Faders 1-16 stuck in the infi position

Postby Casey_Pittman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:56 am

Hello everyone,

New to the Forum, been lurking for awhile and have found some great info.

I've been working on d8b's for about 6 years now through other studio's, now I have bought my own it's running version3 and as of right now does not have the clock card.

Any ways after getting the unit home and powering it up I find that so far everything works fine except for faders 1-16 locking themselves at the bottom of the board. Now after some forceful persuasion they become unstuck. But, I do not find that very healthy for the fader.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I've tried calibrating the faders multiple times with no luck. I've taken out every card except the stock clock card and get the same results. Changing layers does not make a difference either.

Could this be a rail capacitor issue or something else completely?

Oh, faders 17-24 and the master work fine.

Thanks for any help you might be able to spare.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Faders 1-16 stuck in the infi position

Postby Petersueco » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:37 pm

It could be that some cables has got loose inside the d8b during transport.

You would try the Ribbon Cable Connection Correction Procedure

Cheers.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Casey_Pittman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:40 am

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. Went through and did the ribbon cable thing nothing really changed other than the faders didn't immediately lock down. I started a calibration sequence but right away 1-16 locked down on me. With out going into too much detail in regards to how I came into this board(many will laugh many will call me an idiot). I will say, I think the previous owner tried to reinstall the OS with out having the data cable connected. If so then the OS wouldn't have loaded properly and thus could be the reason for my ailment. Or at least that's what I'm going with at the moment until I'm proved wrong. I will say someone has tried to do some nasty solder repairs to one of the fader boards. So if I can't get these to work then i might hit up that guy on ebay selling f-board spares......we'll see.

I'll post my results when something has resulted :D

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Casey_Pittman wrote:I will say, I think the previous owner tried to reinstall the OS with out having the data cable connected. If so then the OS wouldn't have loaded properly and thus could be the reason for my ailment. Or at least that's what I'm going with at the moment until I'm proved wrong. -Casey

Hey Casey, why not do a reload of the OS yourself?
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Crash wrote:Hey Casey, why not do a reload of the OS yourself?

Thats what I'm attempting to do but finding a floppy drive is proving to be an experience in it's self.

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:45 am

Just finished the re-installation of the OS and after some Bios Setting issues that were overcome due to the mass knowledge on this and the other forum I over came a error 43 boot load problem. But alas the original problem still persist, so unless anyone has any other thoughts on the subject I'm gonna break down and by some replacement boards for faders 1-16.

I hate it when it turns out I can't fix it without spending major money!

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:09 am

Well, Got the fader boards in today and popped them in and only one of them worked! Damn it!! So now I have 16 working faders and 8 bad ones. But on the other hand I now have 24 bad faders. I really do wish this was the other way around. The 3 bad boards I do have seem to get really hot around the regulators that are on board. I know they are supposed to give off heat but these give off way more than the working ones do. Also all voltages to the PCB's match each other, but I haven't checked the voltages after the regulators to see whats up.

Does anyone have a d8b they bought for parts? And if so would said person wish to sell me a fader board or at least loan it to me to see if it works?

Ahh well, back to the grind stone. Ohh, thoughts or suggestions other than "do a fader calibration" would be very welcome :lol:

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby salvaes » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:10 pm

you have to disassemble the console faders i clean with compressed air
so i really fail faders i will need to replace I had the same bug in addition to being unbalanced
Macpro 12cores ,logic Pro ,RME Octamic2 X4 ,forusrite ISA , apogee DA16X ,
Antelope orion studio - apogee psx100 - TLA CLASSIC VALVE SERIES - SPL GOLDMIKE - Focal twin 6be, Adam A7x ,Mackie d8b
salvaes
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Well after talking to some techs about the problem We have narrowed it down to a chip located under a couple of the faders that send the motor information. This would explain why they are only effected when changing banks not in regular use. I'll be sending the boards to this guy and when it is all said and done I will have 2 working spares, Yay!!

-Casey
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Casey.

That sounds good.

Do you have the same problem in the three spare fader banks you have?

I do have one or two faders stuck in inf position and it has been bugging me for many months. In fact I have always believed is had to be tha fader tha was failing, nos some chip...

Please let us know when it is done and how is the final result.

This Spanish guy (Salvaes) he is just about to try to exchange original faders with alps faders that are not 100% the same that Mackie's. He has promised to make a report about how it goes.

Stay tuned!
Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to d8b Forum