Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby Marc Girard » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:56 am

Hello all,

I'm calling on the long time d8b users here, I need to figure something out with the automation system...

I'd like to know how it works exactly. Is it possible to Write moves on top of old ones? Say there's an automation already in place for a fader move, can I "force" the fader to the new place and my move will overwrite the old positions previously recorded? I thought this was the way to make it work, but the d8b doesn't want to transmit fader positions when the fader is already receiving a position! Result: I cannot write automation on Nuendo while I'm receiving some... Very cumbersome for correcting automation moves...

Now, the easy solution would be to hold a button (say select) while moving the fader, but I'd like it to be more intuitive...

Lemme know what you guys think, thanks!

-Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby Badbass780 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Marc, I use mine d8b as a HUI interface with Logic Pro, and when "WRITE" mode is enabled on my channel strip, whatever I touch overwrites my previous automation. I would imagine Nuendo would do the same.

Eagerly awaiting your release!
Badbass780

Postby Marc Girard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Could you do a quick test for me please? Do the following:

- Write an automation for a continuous fader move. (One channel is enough)
- Duplicate or loop that automation so that it repeats constantly
- Now, while the fader is moving, try to overwrite new automation on top

Let me know if it works, because the d8b doesn't seem to send fader info while receiving some...

Thanks!

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby Casey_Pittman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Marc Girard wrote:Could you do a quick test for me please?------the d8b doesn't seem to send fader info while receiving some...

Thanks!

Marc

Could this be because the faders in the d8b are not touch sensitive like they are on the HUI?

Just throwing out ideas, not sure if my logic is correct.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Badbass780 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Marc, you're right. It doesn't send and receive at the same time. It sends data in "Write" or "Latch" modes, but only receives in "Read" or "Touch" modes. So basically, if you're trying to correct automation moves you probably have to do the section over or correct it with the mouse. This must be what they mean when these faders are being described as non-touch sensitive.

Salvator has been looking at this issue in ProTools and he would be the one with any further insight. Also, he's interested in helping you get your program running on the MacOS side because he's a programmer. You should ring his bell, he's a member. He has a website too; tritonedigital.com
Badbass780

Postby Badbass780 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Salvator wrote:Hello Marc,

I'm a programmer and also can help with mac development.
Funny enough I also did my own d8B midi reverse engineering last year, in order to use the D8b with my protools HD rig as a triple HUI. :mrgreen:
I had some good results, but it was thru midi only, and I didn't made the level meters (only faders/mutes/solo etc...)

Your approach is much more in depth and I would be glad to participate for helping the mac/protools port.
So I know some of the midi implementation of HUI that I collected by analysing all the midi messages etc.., OSX core midi (IAD drivers etc...) , can code the mac software with C++ or max msp.
Let me know,
Cheers !

Salvator
Badbass780

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:27 pm

In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Marc Girard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey! Thanks BadBass for doing the test for me, I appreciate it... It's funny, I was telling myself: One way that I could correct the problem would be to hold the "Select" button to "release" the fader from the automation control... And guess what? Mackie OS does EXACTLY that! (Well, that what I read in Peter's link). So I believe my instinct was right... I'll do it as soon as I get home tonight. Thanks Peter!

MG

PS: I'll try to hook up with Salvator, he even speaks french, we could be doing this! :)
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby Marc Girard » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Hey guys,

- QUICK NEWS -

I fixed a few of the remaining problems in the software. Now it works with pretty much everything that has MCU support in! (I had a few bugs with other hosts than Nuendo). I tested the following DAWs:

- Cockos Reaper 4
- Presonus StudioOne 1.5
- Propellerheads Reason 5
- Steinberg Nuendo 4 / Cubase 5
- Cakewalk Sonar 8.5

The only problematic DAW is Sonar. I don't know why, it doesn't see the virtual MCUs, I think it might have to do with the MCU Sysex Init procedure. Will investigate further more on this.

I also added a variable Meter Decay option. It's not needed for Steinberg's stuff but all the other DAWs are behaving weird if the Meter Decay is not turned on, looks like the meters are stucking at a fixed value (normal since the MCU protocol just transmits Peak levels). Now everything looks dandy!

I also fixed the slowdown during the VFD updates! Now I'm full speed (no more VFD lag) and the occasional garbage is gone. (Yes, I had some weird stuff appearing on the VFD once in a while).

Added a nice feature with the "Phone Cue/Mix 1/2" Pots. Those can be used to move around, select channels and zoom in and out. The Zooming feature is WAY cool as you can zoom your edit window by turning pots instead of clicking on a button a thousand times. It's super fast and works wonders, I'll show this in the next video.

I know you guys are eager to put your hands on this software, I'm doing my best! I just don't want to release a product that's full of bugs and that's a pain to use... I'm all about quality, not quantity! :D

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby Axeman098 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:43 pm

If you need a Beta Tester for Sonar X1, please let me know what I can do to get involved. I'll be happy to pay estimated cost for the product in advance if need be, as I would VERY much like to be able to use it in Sonar X1. I'm curious to see if the issue has been corrected or still exists in X1c, which I have. Anything I can do to help with Any Sonar issues (8.5 OR X1a/b/c) let me know. I will see if I can find anything on the 8.5 issue to assist.
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum