Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby exitmike » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey guys, I've been following this forum from the shadows since this topic was made, and finally decided to make an account.

Marc, you are doing a great job, and I'm very excited about the progress and development.
If you need any help with multimedia for promotion such as videos, websites, design... let me know.
I know peter and others are willing to help... Im sure everyone here would be willing to help.

I live in toronto so when the bridge is erected, Ill come to montreal and celebrate with some cheers and beers :)

keep up the good work. bon chance

PS. good job with the name D8Bridge... I came up with D8B DV8.. but... kinda late with that..

cheers
Mike
Sound Engineer
Exit Studios
http://www.exitstudios.ca
exitmike

Postby synthjoe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Zorba the Geek wrote:...Michael, I see what you mean about not wanting to 'cut the cord', however for those like myself, who no longer use the d8b as part of their primary audio path (but rather as a headphone mixer or digital patchbay etc), we would happily re-purpose or 'cut' the large power cable, in order to make available the extended DAW functions Marc's d8b bridge would provide. As I mentioned however, maybe the best idea would be to purchase a spare large male multi-pin power connector & connect it to an external PSU in order to provide power to the console. A separate custom-made data cable for the control data would also have to be made up to communicate with the DAW.

George, as I wrote already earlier in one of my posts on this thread, it would be quite possible to 'cut the cord'. Additionally, I'm considering a dual serial-to-wLAN solution (not all of them are sluggish), there are a few on the market. Once Marc/Frank gets the thing done and I get their approval and support, I'd do some experiment with available solutions on the market - I have access to some.

For the PSU, I almost think of putting together a kit, a multipin would not be necessary. You could install the PSU right inside the desk and forget about the rack unit (provided fader calibration will be solved, as Marc wrote). A simple IEC power plug (like those on the PC) would replace the BFC - could be totally fanless, hence noiseless. How does that make you feel? :)

I for one, will keep the audio functions working - just pulled the codec board from my desk yesterday and it is laying on the desk next to me. I shall be installing EMI filters (as posted in the other thread) to see if I can bring the noise down by a good 10-15 dB. I would be a happy camper, then. Shall be reporing on that in the next few days.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:04 pm

It would be AWESOME to ditch the Rack unit entirely. I am quite intrigued at the possibility of doing that. Would certainly lighten my rack considerably. But, assuming Marc's conversion software is loaded on a floppy, how would you get around that? If I could whittle it down to JUST the desk that would be fantastic, but I'm VERY curious how to work around that. You're saying you would mount a PSU right in the desk????? I'm REALLY interested in learning more about that...

If all I had to do was bring the desk in it's hardshell case, and my interface rack to any mobile location for DAW control....OMFG, I'd be freakin GIDDY! The Rack PSU/CPU is a beefy bitch I'd LOVE to ditch! Would lighten my rack by at least 40-50lbs or more! Ultimately, MY personal goal would be to replace the CPU/PSU rack with an equivelent sized Rack case CPU for recording. I want to have everything in one rack for quick and easy mobile setups. 1 Rack and 1 ATA flight Case for the desk....GAWD that would be SWEET!
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby m33 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Axeman098 wrote:I But, assuming Marc's conversion software is loaded on a floppy, how would you get around that? !

I may be missing something but I'm pretty sure it's not loaded on a floppy. It would actually be a software installed directly on your laptop/desktop that would bypass the CPU unit entirely program-wise. Otherwise it is just used for the power source- which is what he seems to be talking about moving directly to the board. Which is totally awesome sauce.
m33

Postby rcb4t2 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:44 am

Hi Marc - thanks for your reply regarding Mac functionality - I guess we'll be waiting longer then. Although the possibility of just using any old crappy XP unit to run the software and pass the data to the Mac isn't too crazy? I wonder could the CPU unit be repurposed or will it not run Windows? Either way getting hold of an old XP system isn't hard. (hell, you could conceivably run XP in a virtual environment in the mac, though I'm not sure that would be great from the stability standpoint). Anyway, the point is it seems doable.

I had another question that hadn't occurred to me until now (well, two actually).

1.) Do you need to have the V5 os installed on the D8B for this all to work? I have V3 on mine and I'd be reluctant to shell out the extra $$.

2.) Are the preamps on channels 1-12 dependent on the CPU to function? Or could you use them via their analog paths (the inserts, I imagine?) without the CPU? It would be nice to be able to have at least the 12 preamps functioning separately from the control system. When/if this all gets sorted I'll be replacing the analog desk that I use for basic routing and extra preamps. The routing I can handle through the DAW exclusively (though I'm not 100% jazzed about that, I like an analog connection to my headphone system even if I don't use it all the time) but it'd be somewhat expensive to replace the 22 mic preamps from my board. I can't imagine the preamps and inserts are tied in to the digital routing/mixing system, shouldn't it be somewhat easy to at least leave those intact?
rcb4t2

Postby synthjoe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:33 am

m33 wrote:
Axeman098 wrote:I But, assuming Marc's conversion software is loaded on a floppy, how would you get around that? !

I may be missing something but I'm pretty sure it's not loaded on a floppy. It would actually be a software installed directly on your laptop/desktop that would bypass the CPU unit entirely program-wise. Otherwise it is just used for the power source- which is what he seems to be talking about moving directly to the board. Which is totally awesome sauce.

Even if it WAS on a floppy, the CPU and the desk communicates only via the 2 serial ports that is inside of the DB25 cable. So it should be possible to load the software from your DAW PC - I guess that's what Marc is trying to do.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:53 pm

SynthJoe is right, we don't need the old computer/OS.

My software runs the d8b straight from the "Console Data" port with a custom made serial wire (that replaces the long black DB25 wire). In other words, even if you old d8b's computer is crashed, the hard disk is fried, or the BIOS won't simply boot up the machine, we don't mind, we're bypassing the on-board PC. In fact, I completely unplugged mine, it makes less noise while I'm concentrating on writing the software.

No need for Mackie OS 3.0, 5.0 or 5.1... The Mackie rack is used only as a power supply. I hope this clarify the situation! :)

MG
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby chucklesmcfarland » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:44 am

"it makes less noise"

My favorite part!
chucklesmcfarland

Postby Axeman098 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:01 pm

Marc Girard wrote:SynthJoe is right, we don't need the old computer/OS.

My software runs the d8b straight from the "Console Data" port with a custom made serial wire (that replaces the long black DB25 wire). In other words, even if you old d8b's computer is crashed, the hard disk is fried, or the BIOS won't simply boot up the machine, we don't mind, we're bypassing the on-board PC. In fact, I completely unplugged mine, it makes less noise while I'm concentrating on writing the software.

No need for Mackie OS 3.0, 5.0 or 5.1... The Mackie rack is used only as a power supply. I hope this clarify the situation! :)

MG

Thanks for the clarification Marc, that's just EPIC!!!!, now I'm ALL ABOUT eliminating the rack entirely.....If I can load the software straight from the DAW PC, You sir (Marc) are a freakin Genius!!! I will go back and take a harder look at what is neccesary to remove the console PSU's from the rack. I saw a reference somewhere earlier to another thread talkin about that, can someone reference me back to that thread? I can't seem to find it. I would like to actively participate in that conversation and toss some of my, PC and electrical knowledge into the efforts for that. DYING to see how to get them out of the rack and actually into the console itself....that would just be AWESOME!!!!
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Axeman098 wrote:I saw a reference somewhere earlier to another thread talkin about that, can someone reference me back to that thread? I can't seem to find it. I would like to actively participate in that conversation and toss some of my, PC and electrical knowledge into the efforts for that. DYING to see how to get them out of the rack and actually into the console itself....that would just be AWESOME!!!!

I think that discussion was in this thread some 20 pages back. But maybe a dedicated thread on the subject is in order.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum