Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Postby Petersueco » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:46 am

Wow Mark, this is super impressive.

Nice job and I like all the nice ideas floating around.

Marc Girard wrote:Hello all,

Frank and I came up with some ideas for the Green/Red dots (channel number LEDs). Since they're no use to us really (as a virtual board) we're gonna re-purpose them. What about having a special character in the channel name that would trigger those? Say, we put a "*" at the beginning of the channel name and the red dot lights up... A "+" would light up the green dot and a "|" would light up both. Why do you say? Well, Imagine putting a "+" on each drum channels and a "*" on vocals say. It'd be a great visual reference for mixing and such because you'd know just by looking at the board where your channels would be.

I rather prefer the leds to indicate the automation status for that channel:

Read = Green
Write = Red.

Marc Girard wrote:I'm also thinking about the VFD display section (EQ, Pots, etc). I think I might have found a solution. The VFD display could show half of the parameters instead of the full 8 requested by the MCU. There's some nice arrow buttons on the d8b, next to the V-Pots underneath the VFD display. We could use those to page left/right our parameters. I still have to put some thought and effort on that one, but if it works, we could edit pretty much anything on our hosts (EQs, Compressors, Plugins, Soft Synths, etc). That'd be awesome.

Don't forget the 4 v-pots and the buttons above and below them. It would be cool to map all the buttons in the original Fat Channel section.

Marc Girard wrote:Now, we might push the emulators one notch more. I'm thinking of adding a 4th device to the software, let me explain: Right now, we're emulating 3 full MCUs (3 x 8 faders = 24). That's a given. The limitation we got is that there's many useful buttons on the d8b we'd like to use but there's no MCU command existing in the protocol for those! (Channel Read/Write Automation, Locators, Numbers, etc). The 4th device wouldn't be emulating an MCU at all, it would simply send simple MIDI messages when buttons are pressed. We would map those standard MIDI messages to our DAW and it would be a way to complement the missing MCU commands. I know that Nuendo/Cubase as a "Generic Device" remote controller that can do pretty much everything we can imagine, is that the case too in your favorite DAW?

I'm on Nuendo so I can't talk for the other DAW apps. I guess it could mess things up a little bit depending on how other DAW softwares handle the MIDI mapping feature.

It would be way cool to have most of the master section of the board mapped to specific options inside the DAW. Maybe different mapping templates for every DAW software or create a MIDI learn feature for the different buttons so that the user can map and customize the functions for every button.

Another thought: Would it be possible to made an EQ controller (EQ mode) using the 24 v-pots of the main channels and the meters as a feedback display. I'm thinking about something like they have done in the StudioLive Presonus mixer:

Take a look at the explanation that starts on 2:20 in this video:

Marc Girard wrote:Now, the project as a code name: DAW 8 Bridge. I might end up in "DAW8ridge", I don't know! :)

I like DAW8Bridge as a code name, but I think you can come up with something better for the final name.

One thing is clear: It doesn't matter how you name it, it will blow my mind for sure :ugeek:

Keep up the good work guys!

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby High C Double G » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:17 am

d8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8bd8b

MF-II Software "Exclusive to the d8b" - The software controller system for the d8b digital console.

"Everything you need is in the box"

Slight edit on my original sell concept (added d8b) could be a copyright issue??? --- and added "The" instead of "A"

And yes you guys... great update!!! ... holding my breath was a drag. As far as using all the buttons and lights... you might be hard pressed to get these done at first pass, but both you guys are users of Cubase no ?

You really do know what interests you most. I am sure other users know what it is that interests them most.

"At a glance" stuff is great - more complicated is not as desirable to me when looking at the mixer. Honestly I am pretty new to Cubase, so the whole thing (to me) is daunting anyway, but the basic stuff for workflow is where I think the product should start out.

Workflow is everything and anything that works towards this end result is going to get noticed. When you are selling something there has to be a big plus and everyone wants a bargain for it. Look towards how the lights and buttons will make the customer's tracking/mixing/edits faster and you have your answer. Simple linking, easy track switch/routes... etc. there are a lot of things that make "on the surface" buttons and indicator lights work well in a real world environment. As you well know, most of the pro audio world is get it done yesterday type of deal. Everyone will chose fast almost over anything else. <- there is an almost in there so please don't climb up my tree, okay? :D

Peter definitely has the right idea showing what other equipment can do and does do; a good thing to research and to find out what works in other gear - what are people jazzed about etc... There is plenty of product out there and many many opinions. Anyway...

My .02,

Michael
Last edited by High C Double G on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby simonfuzzy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:45 am

D8Bridge, hehe. Have you considered releasing the software ver 1.0 and then once the other functionality is sorted out, a free or paid upgrade? Also let's face it, there's nothing quite like ironing out glitches than a testgroup of 1.0 users...ask Microsoft!
simonfuzzy

Postby Marc Girard » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 am

Hello again,

Peter, we already thought about your option. The d8b already has a "Write" button available (and has a led status too). We could use the Assign button underneath for read (Green led as well). It makes more sense to me as we're gonna try to use all of the d8b channel buttons available to us. Actualy, that's why I want to implement the 4th generic emulator, those Read/Write buttons are *NOT* accessible thru the MCU protocol. As for the V-Pots underneath the VFD, I'll use them for sure, but the MCU protocol has 8 V-Pots available to the user, that's why I want to page flip with the arrow buttons. You'll see, it'll make sense once implemented. I don't think we can replicate the Fat Channel configuration as the MCU is quite limited. It wouldn't be possible to do some kind of PreSonus emulator once again because of the MCU protocol, too limited... For now, let's concentrate on the main functions, we're almost done! :)

HighC, That's what I'm shooting for, I want to improve and accelerate the user's workflow. It's the whole goal of having a control surface after all!

Simon, That's a good idea, we might release the software with a basic profile (say, faders, transport, SMPTE) and work on the extra functions a little later. So far, the development as picked up a fast pace though, we'll keep you posted!

MG
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:52 am

Cant we keep the assign button for record enable in the DAW? Or do you have another solution in mind for that?

-casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:05 am

We could use the Assign button underneath for read (Green led as well).

In spite of the buttons having Assign printed on them, I'm inclined to agree with this idea.
Frank and I came up with some ideas for the Green/Red dots

Personally I'd prefer if the LEDs were used to indicate linking or groups or something like that. The limit of 4 'track types" is just too...um....limiting...and from a practical/personal point of view...it would add a "clutter" factor. That's what the scribble strip, white tape and colored Sharpies do best.
Cant we keep the assign button for record enable in the DAW?

I would kinda expect the Rec/Rdy button to do what's printed on the tin.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby simonfuzzy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:09 am

Marc Girard wrote: Simon, That's a good idea, we might release the software with a basic profile (say, faders, transport, SMPTE) and work on the extra functions a little later. So far, the development as picked up a fast pace though, we'll keep you posted!

MG

Awesome, thanks so much Marc, about to install a d8b in our final mix cinema (believe it or not!) where your software will basically run the show! Looking forward
simonfuzzy

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:49 pm

FrankH wrote:
We could use the Assign button underneath for read (Green led as well).

In spite of the buttons having Assign printed on them, I'm inclined to agree with this idea.
Frank and I came up with some ideas for the Green/Red dots

Personally I'd prefer if the LEDs were used to indicate linking or groups or something like that. The limit of 4 'track types" is just too...um....limiting...and from a practical/personal point of view...it would add a "clutter" factor. That's what the scribble strip, white tape and colored Sharpies do best.
Cant we keep the assign button for record enable in the DAW?

I would kinda expect the Rec/Rdy button to do what's printed on the tin.

yeah disregard what I type, total brain fart on that one. :oops:

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby fiverec » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:29 am

yeeeaaah marc congratulations for the great work I m waiting for more info in the next days
I like covert my d8b in daw controller increible!!!
thanks alot great work!!
fiverec

Postby bwiencke » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:51 am

Hi Marc.

I´ve been looking for a 24 fader controller for a couple of years and I've been following your progress for a few months now. I am VERY excited to try this software you creating. I have a D8B in my studio now and I have the possibility to buy it for about $850US and if your software will be available soon I will with out a doubt buy it, both D8B and your software! ;)

Do you have a possible due date? Beta release? I'm sitting on the edge of my seat literally!

Keep up the good job! You're doing the world a favor! :D
Don't try your best, DO your best!!!
bwiencke

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum