Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby High C Double G » Wed May 25, 2011 8:46 am

I am up!... Phoenix is nice don't get me wrong... lots of pick-em-up trucks --- Howdy. :P

Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Wed May 25, 2011 8:56 am

If you get a chance check out the songwriters version - Jimmy Webb... on YouTube. I know, I know sidetrack - but it is a great version. Really!!!
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby farmac » Fri May 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Please take no offense from my sarcasm , and impatience. Glad you're making progress !! I look foward to becoming a future buyer too. I'll keep checking back for the purchase site :D , and try not to clog the thread with my "middle age" bantering. GOOD LUCK !!!!

Marc Girard wrote:Hey guys,

We know that it's taking a long time for the project to be completed but please take note that we started from scratch, without help from no one (including Mackie, which we called several times). To reverse engineer a device and re-purpose it is no easy task. As posted before, we even had to modify Mackie's own firmware for the meters to work OK.

There's the programming/implementing part that's hard too, Windows 7's MIDI layer changed a little since its 32bit days and we're having little difficulties. On top of all of this, there's no official released documention of the Mackie Control Protocol available. So, we have to look at others' code and use the outdated Logic Implantation manual released many years ago.

Considering all of this, I think we've come a quite LONG way in a few months. The project officially started in October 2010.

I know this is all very exciting and you guys can't wait to check it out, but I want to make things right as I'm gonna be a user of this software myself. I don't want the thing to crash in front of a client and look like a dweeb.

My good friend always says: Perfection takes time.

Best,

Marc
farmac

Postby Axeman098 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Hey Marc, I've been thinking about this project a bit, and I hope you wouldn't mind clarifying a few things. Since this modification will essentially Bypass the Mackie onboard software, PC, etc. Am I correct in assuming it will therefore render things like the MFX/UFX cards useless? How about the ADAT or MIDI cards??? It would be cool to be able to use the MIDI in as a Controller input, like for instance, a MIDI controller pedal for Guitar Rig, etc. Is this a feasable possibility? I know you said you were having some issues with Windows 7's MIDI implimentation. I've decided that once I switch over to the Control Surface Mod, I'm going to make it a permanent control surface with outboard input pre's, so I want to sale or trade any unneeded items. I would be willing to trade the unneeded cards for Fader boards, power boards, etc.

Also, one of the things I've noticed with Sonar, is that once you have selected the control surface you want to use (In this case it would be an MCU I suppose) You can right click on any button, Fader, Knob etc. in Sonar and configure Remote Control. You hit the Learn Button and it auto configures the Control surface input you want to use to the appropriate DAW control you assigned. Assuming that the DAW should see the D8B as 3 MCU's (In this case Sonar X1 would have the 3 MCU's listed as ACT Control Surfaces (learnable surfaces), This sort of learnable auto-assignment should still be possible with the D8B, since it is being recognized as 3 MCU's correct?
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi d8b forum!

I hope everybody is really doing okay and better yet… super great!!!

My opinion is that this MFII mod honestly appears to be a work in progress and a labor of love per se... I am completely amazed at the forward motion to date. I honestly I didn't give this thing half a chance of making it even this far. Canadians are quite tenacious! Yes one more very broad generalization!!!

Anyhoo, you can search my original posts and see how skeptical I am/was and how this has been hashed over many time before. I don’t remember the term, but Software Development Kit, (SDK) comes to mind. To effectively obtain the necessary coding to change up whatever bugs and overwhelmingly forgotten nuances and idiosyncrasies that befall the d8b has eluded everyone because it is not readily available information.

The d8b development progression could have gone any number of ways and it progressed like it did and that is that. After v5.1 was released, this was the end of any further work on future developments in my opinion. My opinion is just that… an opinion. To clarify, I could be wrong.

Also it is my opinion, and also many others, that v5.1 is well worth it and if you are running v3.0, do yourself a huge favor and pay for the latest and greatest it is well worth it… beyond worth it really… no kidding Jack!

MFII - A software controller system for the d8b digital console. Everything you need is in the box.

M&F developing MFII (Software for the d8b) do appear to have the tenacity and perseverance to make this incredible progress and also have had the will and determination to make this a reality and make it happen – it could be a money maker for sure. Money makes the world spin, right? There in might lie the motivation.

But where is Mackie (LOUD) in this scenario? Don’t they care that there property is being manipulated? Shhh... I don't mean to be a jerk but I feel like making a poll to see how people really feel about the d8b and it's viability in today's world... right now in 2011 – My opinion is this, (only an opinion mind you)… the board, as is, is quite a useable piece of equipment. There are certain things to avoid in order make proper use of it, in a production facility, but for demos and live work the desk is very versatile in its entirety. I only say this because there are known issues that left unguarded can and will compromise the final product.

Looking at the price of a d8b today, I must say that I am disappointed that it has declined in value but everything has declined in value and the trend is what it is. The reality is (my reality), is that this mixer was marketed as a mid priced totally new cutting edge digital mixing desk that freaked everybody out and the very mention that you had one meant you booked the session. And to this day they are being used, maybe not a much as technology advances but yes still. With…

MFII - A software controller system for the d8b digital console. Everything you need is in the box

There is a distinct possibility that this old girl might be around for quite some time!!!

MPD
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Mackie has certainly made their money off the D8B, I doubt they much care about any sort of Mod for the D8B at this point. A shame really, because anyone who owns one, will certainly appreciate being able to use it as a control surface, and Mackie's input would certainly make it possible. Using the Mackie protocol itself provides a solid base platform to try and pull this off, and having the DAW see it as 3 MCU's is a neat trick. Shame Mackie won't get more involved in this to help revive interest in an old product, but again....I doubt they care, as they have more than made their money from it.
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:32 pm

What really intrigues me about Frank and Marc's efforts, is that when you look at what's on the market, A Modded D8B Control Surface would actually give you more options than an ICON controller at a FRACTION of the cost! Even a Full Mackie Control setup won't give you as much as a fully functional D8B control surface.
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Hello all,

Axeman's post inspired me to do a small photoshop montage of a D8B VS a C-24. You'll see the inspiration of the whole d8b DAW control project, they're very similar, hence the idea I had 2 years ago. You can see that the d8b is little older design wise, but pretty much all we need is in there, ready to be "recycled"! :) Cheers all.

d8bc24.jpg
D8B VS C24
d8bc24.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2828 times

Marc G.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby Axeman098 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Wow, thanks Marc...I hadn't seen those yet....when you compare it to THAT at almost $10k, it really slams home the point. Personally, I like the layout of the D8B a bit better. Looks less cluttered and complex than the C24. So, using that overlay pic of the D8B, can you highlight the sections that you intend to have working and assignable with the initial release? Or rather, would it be easier to ask what sections WON'T be working. I'm just extremely curious as to how much of the surface you intend on having functional. Being able to bank switch out to 96 channels is fantastic, I'm just dying over trying to figure out how 3MCU's = how much usability and assignability on the D8B surface. Will the fat channel be able to be assigned to plug in parameters, etc? I guess what I'm asking is, how much do YOU guys intend to make work? Is there a level of control you're shooting for personally, and what all does that encompass? What are the design goals of your modification? I'm assuming of course you're after the same level of control as a C24 console...

I mean seriously, I can't wait to see it happen...ESPECIALLY when you take a serious look at that C24 controller. The D8B is just as much at that level of capability as that C24, maybe a few less bells and whistles, but overall....it would stack up damn close head to head as a control surface depending on how much of the D8B you can get to work. I would imagine "technically" the entire surface of the mixer is up for grabs, it's just a question of how...
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dan Worley » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Have Peter Holmquist design an entirely new controller.

Hey, I can find no images of the d8b MKII.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
Dan Worley
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum