Change font size   Print view

Potential new user… But need some info!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Potential new user… But need some info!

Postby paugui » Fri Aug 23, 2024 4:55 am

Hi all

I might have the chance to do a trade for a Mackie D8B and am thinking it could be an interesting mixer for my "small studio", but I'm not 100% sure yet…

Some little things about my "small studio"…

I use mostly electronic instruments (synths, drum machines, samplers, etc…), along with some outboard (mostly effects, sadly don't really have any serious EQs, Compressors or Preamps…)!

I do have some microphones I got on bundles, but I don't really use them… They are pretty much here because they might be useful some day…

Since I have a lot of electronic instruments, I think I could actually use a mixer with more inputs, but it will be better than my current solution (just an RME Fireface 800).

First thing I need to ask is about reliability? Is it really bad?
Cause I had a Korg Zero 8 before, and remember seeing on the reviews that reliability was quite bad, but since it was the only mixer available new at the time that fitted my needs back then, I went for it…
BIG mistake cause it arrived with issues, went 2 or 3 times for repairs while it was covered by warranty, and I ended up selling it with issues…
I learnt a lot from the Korg, so it wasn't the worst buy ever, but I really don't want to think I'm getting this mixer and everything will be ok and then have the same kind of nightmare with the Mackie as I had with the Korg…
Especially cause then it was more for fun while now it's much more serious…

Second thing, how is the noise floor of the mixer, and does it work well with ADAT?
I'm asking this cause I had two Creamware A16 ADAT converters (one original, the other an Ultra) and the noise floor on both of them was absolutely awful…
On my RME Fireface 800 the inputs go to -108dB, while the channels it received from the ADAT converters were at around -95dB or worse…
I'm a bit picky with noise, so that made those unusable and I ended up getting rid of them…
If I use the Mackie to provide some channels to the RME Fireface 800 using ADAT, will those channels be too noisy?

Third thing, how is the sound?
Anyone here using their Mackie D8B with lots of synths?
Does it colour the sound nicely, or is it very transparent?
And do the internal processors add something nice to the sound, or nowadays you are probably better off not using them?
The one I'm checking seems to have an MFX and UFX boards installed (and all the different effects available).

Fourth thing, is the Mackie D8B a good solution for someone who isn’t too experienced with mixers?
I like challenging gear (am currently trying to master my Symbolic Sounds Kyma Capybara 320…) and I know my way around a mixer after having the Korg Zero 8, but I guess this one is a much more serious tool and I got the impression there is quite some menu diving…
But I guess with this group it should be easier to get around issues if any issue arise, no? :)

Last thing, what’s the best way to integrate this mixer with a DAW?
This is another thing I don’t have much experience with…
And honestly am not that sure what to expect…

Right now I am running Logic Pro 8 on an old iMac G5, since I have the license for that DAW and it’s the best way to run quite some editors for my synths.
I use my RME Fireface 800 as my sound card and am using an old JazzMutant Lemur (running Dexter) as a controller for it, which works pretty well!

But I’d like more channels and honestly, a big mixer at the center of the studio will give it a certain charm (and will enable me to be able to use Lemur as a controller for other gear instead).

Will the Mackie D8B team up nicely with the RME Fireface 800?

I think that’s all I need to know…

The gear I am considering is something I really don’t use, so I’m quite keen on getting a trade done…
But on the other hand, I don’t really want to get something that can be unreliable (and if it breaks, the value will be completely wiped), unless it’s something that I feel is a really good solution!
Especially cause I don’t have much space available… Which is another problem cause I’m not entirely sure how to make everything fit in the space I have…
Anyway, if it’s worth getting it, I’m sure I’ll figure it out!

Thank you all in advance, best regards, Paulo
paugui

Re: Potential new user… But need some info!

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:11 pm

Hi Paulo,

You’re asking a lot of questions… if I’d answer in my “regular style” my response would probably get 10 pages long, so I’ll try to keep it short:

First thing I need to ask is about reliability? Is it really bad?

The D8B is kind of infamous for being very UNRELIABLE. It’s great when it works, but getting a non-working unit to work, or keeping a repaired one working, is the main reason why people get rid of these desks, or just use them as a controller with the ProBox, instead of as a mixer. It’s pretty much the most unreliable digital piece of gear I ever worked with.

I never heard of that Korg Zero 8 before. Looks like some sort of expanded DJ-Battle mixer, with a crossfader and buttons to route the sources to either the left side or the right side of the crossfader. I guess this could be fun if you’d really be using this for live performances, like an “expanded” DJ-Battle Mixer with more sources… but for home/studio use, this doesn’t look very useful to me.
I did see some forum posts just now, that also described that Korg Zero 8 as having lots of issues… channels going out after warranty, the display dying, signal-to-noise being terrible, and that the drivers for the soundcard portion of it were never updated to 64-bit. So, that device seems to be a big source of frustration when it gets old… I’m afraid the D8B is NOT a good escape from that, though. You need to kind of LIKE to tinker with old unreliable hardware, to be able to put up with the D8Bs many quirks and frequent bad days.
I do NOT recommend it, if trying to get away from unreliability issues with your last mixer.

Second thing, how is the noise floor of the mixer, and does it work well with ADAT?
I'm asking this cause I had two Creamware A16 ADAT converters (one original, the other an Ultra) and the noise floor on both of them was absolutely awful…
On my RME Fireface 800 the inputs go to -108dB, while the channels it received from the ADAT converters were at around -95dB or worse…
I'm a bit picky with noise, so that made those unusable and I ended up getting rid of them…

I’m very curious how you measure that and how you get those numbers. What these companies publish as the signal-to-noise values, and the results you would get if you “attempt” to measure the signal through software, like the RightMark Audio Analyzer, usually don’t match at all.
End-user home-measured values are usually wrong and not comparable to “published” such values (…oh, the silly claims we sometimes got in tech support, from people who “thought” they measured their signal to noise themselves, BUAHAHAHAHAHA). Or do you have the proper testing equipment for that, to set the right conditions for such a test? Like an Audio Precision unit, for example?

RME converters are pretty good, and have a reputation for not being very noisy, usually. I doubt that you’d measure -108 dB of noise floor on that, via home-methods, either, though. Unless it’s an RME provided software tool, that “optimizes” the results for their own hardware.

When looking at the published specs for a Creamware A16, they claim to have a dynamic range of 110 dBA as well. So, again… why do you think that the noise floor on that A16 was at that particular level? How did you measure that?

Generally speaking, though… Creamware is a brand that I only remember from the very early days of digital audio, for their Triple-Dat and Pulsar products. I dimly remember the A16 coming out, but I think that company didn’t exist for long after that. From my memory, the Creamware A16 was a VERY early 16-channel standalone converter… and technology DID move forward quite a bit, since then. So, I’d expect these converters to be noisier than the ones in the RME… but not by such a huge marin. So, I’m still thinking the measurements were not right.

Was the A16 clocked to the main clock you’re using in your system (so, probably as slave to the RME)? If that’s not set right and you try to measure with the occasional pop and click in the signal, your measurement results will look terrible.

…and while we’re at it… that Korg Zero 8 was apparently TERRIBLE when it comes to the S/N-Ratio. But that worked well enough for you, even though you’re picky about noise?

Also, I think you can’t compare the noise floor of a simple “converter only” device, or an audio interface that is essentially also nothing but a converter that sends the now digital audio signal to the computer, with a full blown digital mixer with DOZENS of inputs and a dozen Mic Pros, that all generate a certain level of noise, if they’re “on” while you measure.

Or to put it differently… how much noise will the DIGITAL transfer from your A16 to your RME card add? Nothing. No noise. Absolutely zero. If there’s any noise added, it’s from the A16 converters… but again, I think your measurement isn’t right.

How much noise will the DIGITAL transfer from an ADAT expansion card to your RME card add? Again, nothing. No noise. Absolutely zero. What WILL add noise, is any component on the D8B that is active and in the signal path before the signal gets sent to your RME card. And there’s LOTS more components the signal can run through here, than on that A16.

In other words:
Will there be an added noise floor when connecting the D8B via ADAT to your RME. Yes.
It as simple as saying “then the ADAT transmission from the D8B is bad” - No. Absolutely not.

For another thought experiment: If you feed an ADAT signal into the D8B and without processing, send it back out of another ADAT port (or even more direct would be to just convert to TDIF on a DIO8 card), there will NOT be any added noise. The noise comes from the stuff you run your signal through on the mixer… so, preamps when recording from Mics or Line signals, AD-Coverters… some of the effects will generate some level of noise if added… but the ADAT transfer will NOT add any noise.

I’m just talking about this so extensively, since I get the impression you’re looking at this from the wrong angle. It’s apples and oranges. Can’t compare a full mixer with all its capabilities and components, with a comparably simple audio interface or standalone “converter only” device.

To come back what I think you’re actually asking, though - is the D8B noisy, by today’s standards? Personally, I avoid using the pres and the converters on the D8B, since I have “higher end” options to choose from. I do have a lot of synths, samplers and drum machines, etc. connected to my D8B as well. For important instruments that stand out in the song, I usually record stems from them through other, better converters, rather than going through the D8B, by re-patching that stuff to my other pre’s or to the converters on my Apollo 8 interface.
But if I print stems for a whole arrangement to be quicker, I sometimes just leave a whole D8B layer/bank full of synths connected, output them to the 24 ADAT outs in it’s back, and re-record a whole bunch of stems at once, via the D8Bs pres and converters.
Quite honestly… can I tell the difference if I listen to an “Apollo” recorded stem, and a D8B recorded stem from the same source. No, I can’t. There are subtle differences I usually can’t put my finger on (i.e. the Apollo sounds a little “fatter” - but it also sounds a little “fatter” than my PreSonus interface… which seems to sound a little “clearer” - but not as fat).

But when “stacking” stems, meaning when many such tracks go through BETTER converters, the result will sound noticeably better, than when “stacking” a lot of stems that went through lesser pres and converters.

In other words… I don’t think there are a lot of people with ears that are good enough, to listen to the output (or recording through) one digital audio device, then listen to the same thing from another device, and notice a clear and obvious difference. I think these differences become more apparent with combining MANY recordings/tracks that were recorded with either higher end, or lower end converters.. but I think most people who sit there and listen to one thing, then listen to the other thing and then point to one of these things and say “the converters on this one sound MUCH better” - is full of sh*t. Sure, you can imagine hearing all kinds of things… but it’s not as “day and night” as some people make it out to be… at least not if you didn’t compare doing an entire multi-track recording and mix with one device, vs the other device.

Third thing, how is the sound?
Anyone here using their Mackie D8B with lots of synths?
Does it colour the sound nicely, or is it very transparent?
And do the internal processors add something nice to the sound, or nowadays you are probably better off not using them?
The one I'm checking seems to have an MFX and UFX boards installed (and all the different effects available).

The sound isn’t bad. But it isn’t the best of what’s available today, either. The pres are a bit dark. The converters are old and not quite as “smooth” (again… you’d mostly notice after doing a whole recording project and mixing through a set of pres and converters, etc. - not from sitting there and listen to one device against another).
The channel effects are usable. Like, the EQs and compressors do what you need them to do, but for a “standout” voice in the mix, I’d reach for either better outboard gear, or for a modern plug-in in a modern DAW (what still runs on a G5 today, can’t be considered modern, though… that’s old/early plug-ins that also don’t usually sound nearly as good as plug-ins that were introduced in more recent years).
The better EQs and Compressors you can use via the UFX cards can help with this, too. But they’re not “amazing” either. But better than the channel EQ/comps.

I think opinions will differ on the quality of FX when it comes to things such as reverbs and delays via the MFX and UFX cards. I just recently tried to get used to the TC Electronic reverbs available in the D8B… those algorithms come from their M2000 effects device. Quite honestly, though… I didn’t even find those reverbs good enough as a temporary reverb while tracking vocals. To me, the verbs on the MFX cards are almost better than what the TC Level I is doing. And the MFX words are by no means good.
So, my overall verdict on the MFX and UFX cards, when compared to MODERN plug-ins, like the UAD range, or say, the Valhalla verb, is… that the FX running on the MFX/UFX cards are more or less garbage, by today’s standards.

Some of the effects can give very unique “experimental” results that would be difficult to get from anything else… like the Voice Effects, the old built-in Auto-Tune or the Delay-Factor plugin, etc. But they’re not “great” when it comes to their sound quality… they’re fun for different and creative effects, that I wouldn’t know how to make with any other device or even DAW.

As for the D8B “coloring” the sound nicely or not. I would not say that that’s a strength of the D8B, no. It’s a digital mixer… not a flavor-box like a Neve Pre or something. I think the pres try to be as neutral as possible, but tend to be a bit on the dark side. No “warm and fuzzy” or “sparkly” flavor added, like in some high-end mic pres. You’ll need a high-end mic pre for that.

Fourth thing, is the Mackie D8B a good solution for someone who isn’t too experienced with mixers?
I like challenging gear (am currently trying to master my Symbolic Sounds Kyma Capybara 320…) and I know my way around a mixer after having the Korg Zero 8, but I guess this one is a much more serious tool and I got the impression there is quite some menu diving…
But I guess with this group it should be easier to get around issues if any issue arise, no? :)

“Isn’t too experienced with mixers” is a bit of a wide range to interpret. An analog mixer will be easier to understand, than any digital mixer. If you would be switching from an analog split/inline mixer to a D8B, then this is pretty much the closest “digital” equivalent to the split/inline mixer concept.
If you do not know what a split/inline mixer is, or why that’s useful, then that’s not really going to help you on the D8B, either.

In my personal opinion, if you’ve only used rather simple, small footprint analog mixers, then something like a Yamaha 01V or 02R is quicker to understand and find your way around.
If you have certain expectations of what a mixer is supposed to be - such as if you worked on a large-format split-inline console in a “real” studio before, then you’ll appreciate what the D8B does, and why it works the way it works.

So, the short answer… the D8B is fairly complex, if you want to use all of its features. IMO, there are other digital mixers that are easier to figure out (e.g. Yamaha), but there are also digital mixers that are harder to understand (e.g. stay away from the Roland VM range of digital mixers. The VM7200 must be the WORST user workflow ever designed for a digital mixer… I think I once spent close to 40 minutes, trying to figure out how to re-reoute the S/PDIF in, without messing up everything else).

I’m surprised by the combination of gear you list you’re using… on the one hand, you mentioned almost only outdated, “not to today’s standards” old gear (G5, A16, Fireface, D8B) that people only buy if they have no budget… or if better/newer equipment isn’t available in their country (where are you located? Cuba?). But on the other hand, you mentioned a Kyma?!?! That was some cutting edge stuff, when it was new, and is still worth it, for the uniqueness of sounds you can get from this thing… and the journey how you get there. I never had one, but it always reminded me a bit of Native Instrument’s Reaktor - at least the general approach.
So, the Kyma definitely is a challenge - but IMO, a “good” challenge. It’s just not the easiest thing to operate… but the challenges you’d get with the D8B (or a lot of this other old, outdated gear), isn’t usually a “good” challenge, but rather a “struggle” to get it working and keep it working.

So, I take it you like a “good challenge” - but you probably wouldn’t like the “bad struggle” you’d get with a D8B. Similar notions, but in practical, every day use of gear, one could be fun… the other one won’t be, haha.

Last thing, what’s the best way to integrate this mixer with a DAW?
This is another thing I don’t have much experience with…
And honestly am not that sure what to expect…

That depends on what you mean by “integrate” with a DAW. You can “integrate” by controlling what happens inside your DAW from the D8B (or at least 8 of its faders, while in HUI mode), and/or you can “integrate” by sending all the audio from your DAW to the D8B… and when using it like this, you can still choose if you’d use it in the “old school” workflow where your inputs are on the Mic/Line layer, and your returns from the DAW are on the Tape layer, and you switch between them, to control “recording” and “playback” channels… or you could use it like a “flat” mixer, where the Mic/Line layer and the Tape layer are used in the same way, as if that’s nothing else but “more channels” on another layer. Most more modern mixers concepts are more in the vein of the latter… the Split/Inline concept started dying, when tape-machines started dying. This wasn’t really as essential, anymore, when DAWs took over for recording.

IF you do want to “integrate” the D8B by sending all your audio to the D8B to mix it from there, you need to make a pretty serious investment in audio interfaces that have as many inputs and outputs of the same type, as what you want to connect to the D8B.
For example, if you’d have 3 expansion cards with ADAT ports in your D8B, to fully utilize them, you’d also want to invest in an audio interface (or multiple stacked ones), that give you 3x ADAT ports as well, for 24 channels of audio going back and forth between your DAW and the D8B.
But this will cost you A LOT more on the DAW computer side, than what a D8B usually costs, nowaways. And if it’s a real benefit to send everything to the D8B or not, or just mix in the box, is another question. If you haven’t spent the money on all that gear, yet, IMO it’s not worth it and you can get good results “in the box” without all these extra effort and expense.

Although… on a G5, you don’t have a whole lot of processing power, and will be pretty limited with how many plug-ins that lets you run. So, the D8B would definitely add a lot of processing power (e.g. EQs and Comps on every channel, that don’t take up resources on your G5).
One option I could see for that, is to buy an old set of Pro Tools HD PCI-X cards and an old Digidesign 96 /IO with digital I/O expansion cards in it for your G5… those Pro Tools cards are dirt cheap now (in fact, I have 4 at a friend’s house that I’m not planning to ask back, b/c they’re essentially worthless, now). If you’re stuck with a G5 as your main computer, this would still give you some extra processing power (i.e. the DSPs on the Pro Tools Core and Accel cards), and as a nice side-effect, if you can find a nicely expanded 96 I/O, you’d be able to send your audio to the D8B for EVEN MORE processing power.

In other words… if you’re somehow forced to continue working with all this antiquated gear, because you either don’t have the budget or the gear is not accessible where you live, a G5 with a Pro Tools HD|3 system and 24 channels of digital I/O to integrate the D8B, “could” be a pretty powerful system in today’s world, still.

However, for perspective… something like my Mac M3 laptop I bought last year, can do a lot more than that whole combination of things, in the box, because the processing power of more recent computer processors “exploded” to a point, where none of this old gear is really still necessary. It’s a convenience, if you find working with old hardware to be convenient… but it stops being a convenience quickly, when the old gear and complicated connectivity between them, starts giving you trouble. At that point, it’s usually more “convenient” to just not waste any time with unreliable old gear, and just make progress “in the box” from the moment you sit down at the computer.

That’s why I also always point out, that I have all my gear set up in a way, where I can operate without it, and just add/turn-on additional gear as I find it useful or convenient. So, most of the time, my D8B stays off, hahaha.

Sorry… I meant to keep this short, but then it turned into an endless ramble again. I don’t mean to “hate” on the D8B (I really do like it a lot, in the context of my setup - but I also don’t mind a little troubleshooting because of my Tech Support past… it’s kind of like doing tech support for myself as a hobby now, haha), but it really depends on what you expect from it.

If, what you expect from the D8B, is that it’s a reliable, easy to understand mixer that adds positively to the sound character of otherwise “in the box” recordings, then… no. The D8B is not for you. It would mostly give you hassle and complication, and not the type of benefit you’re looking for.

I’m sure there are many here who have a completely different view of this… until stomped with a problem with their D8B, that they can’t solve by themselves on their end, either. And even though I post a lot of stuff on here, and think that I have a pretty good handle on the D8B, overall, my main unit keeps giving me trouble again, lately… and I’m really hesitant to start doing the serious troubleshooting work. It’ll be a lot of work and hassle and cables all over the place… and I’ve done this WAY to many times with my own D8B… so, would I recommend it as a “reliable, easy to understand and use” mixer - absolutely not, no.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:20 am

I just got a little nostalgic and read old reviews for the Creamware TripleDat and Pulsar, haha. (I ended up buying a Yamaha DSP-Factory card and 16-channel ADAT expansion, instead, back then... which never worked as advertised, with 16-channels of digital audio).

This also lead me to a few bits about the Creamware A16 "non-ultra" - which was apparently a device with an 18-bit converter, but supposedly they only used the upper 16-bits. So, really just a 16-bit converter "with benefits."

The "word-length" aka the "bits" are what defines the dynamic range. On a 16-bit converter, low level signals will disappear into the noise floor much earlier, than with modern 24-bit (or very recently, 32-bit) converters.
...and that's a logarithmic value (not linear).

A 16-bit converter, has a maximum "theoretical" signal-to-noise ratio of 96 dB. So, achieving actual 95 dB is really good (probably because the A16 is really an 18-bit converter that just doesn't fully utilize the extra 2 bits).

A 24-bit converter, has a maximum "theoretical" signal-to-noise ratio of 144 dB. But you won't achieve that in practical use.

So, with this bit of context, it actually makes sense that you saw the A16 (non-ultra) have -95 dB of noise floor (although that almost sounds like too good a result, if it were truly 16-bit converters), and the RME have significantly more (should be 24-bit, even though Firewire is also hopelessly outdated, nowadays... shitty latency, at least).

The D8B is generally capable of 24-bits of digital audio transfer. There's a couple of scenarios described in the database, where it doesn't really truly take advantage of the 24 bits (e.g. DIO-8 ADAT cards with the older V1.x chip, instead of the V2.x chip which was a true 24-bit version)... and some other caveats, where you may not always get the full 24-bits under some circumstances.

But generally speaking, the D8B DOES support 24-bits of word-length, and if your A16 didn't have 24-bit converters, then sure... you'll have a worse signal-to-noise and dynamic-range, that you can hear with bare ears, when just comparing something recorded with a 16-bit converter, vs. 24-bit (at least if it's material that contains a lot of subtle details at very low volumes. Loud stuff sounds pretty much the same on 24-bit and 16-bit converters, since the "maximum loud" digital ceiling is a hard limit. The "disappearance into noise floor" - for example due to outdated, inferior 16-bit converters, is a "soft limit" though... so, yeah, you'll hear the difference pretty clearly, when focussing on silent passages of recorded music... for example classical stuff with quiet sections.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:28 am

Paulo,

I agree with what Y-my-R has stated in his long post, BUT I do have to ask --- are "you mixing with your ears or your eyes". From what I am reading from your post I tend to think that it is the latter !!!!!

Re the last really serious recording that I undertook using my d8b where everything was recorded through the d8b and via its optical outputs sent to a Alesis HD24 recorder and then mixed through the d8b's optical inputs using nothing but what was part of the d8b on to an Alesis Masterklink 2-track recorder and burnt to CD as a 24bit file, the album I believed got to No. 10 on the American Billboard Chart. The CD was recorded/mixed by listening to what we could hear and NOT by what we could see.

Not trying to be rude, but I just feel that you are looking at specifications rather than musicianship and music feel.

I do however wish you all the best of luck if you decide to purchase the desk, BUT as Y-my-R suggests there is a reasonably steep learning curve. I have owned my desk for about 20yrs, but I am still learning and discovering new things that it can do. I am not suggesting that I have not had technical/electronics problems --- you will --- but in my opinion it is still a great desk.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sun Aug 25, 2024 7:47 pm

Something else occurred to me, as for the reason why you're still using that G5 (other than budget)... you said something about editors for synths that still run on that old machine. If you love your old synths and the editors for them, then I understand not wanting to switch.

I used to have SoundDiver back in the days - the last version that ran for me, was SoundDiver 3 on early MacOS X... it might have possibly been on a G5 as my last system.

If that's why you're hanging on to the G5, here's what I do to be able to use SoundDiver on my new (less than a year old) M3 "Apple Silicon" Mac:

I run a Mac app called "CrossOver" on my "newish" Mac. Crossover is essentially an easier user interface for another app called "WINE" (an acronym for "Wine is not an emulator" - best to look it up if you don't know what that is).

Within WINE I create a Windows 2000 environment around the Emagic SoundDiver 3 app for Windows (which I install "into" that WINE "Bottle" - as they call it).

I'm also using an Emagic Unitor 8 MIDI interface, which has renewed driver support from Apple as of a few years ago (with a couple of updates since then). This gives me 8 MIDI inputs and Outputs for my new Mac, fully supported by Apple, despite of these interfaces being around 20 years old as well.

I can now start CrossOver, and run SoundDiver 3 through that (within a Windows environment that only loads the needed files for that application - not the whole Windows OS). SoundDiver appears as its own Window, directly on my Mac, like with any other Mac-app. Excepts, it has the ugly old Windows 2000 look and buttons, hahaha... but otherwise integrates into the Mac environment, nicely.

...the most important thing about this is, that I can "share" the MIDI ports that SoundDiver uses within CrossOver/Win2k while simultaneously using them within my DAW, directly under Mac OS Sonoma.

In other words, I can tweak my hardware synths using SoundDiver on my "modern" Mac, while I run a DAW (mostly Studio One in my case, nowadays... but I do have the latest version of Logic, as well) at the same time and play MIDI through those synths, too.
I probably wouldn't try a SysEx dump to SoundDiver while having the DAW play back MIDI to the synths or something... but as long as you don't do something stupid like that, it works pretty well.

Having said all of this, I broke my own setup here by adding a second 8-channel interface to my setup. At this point, I'm running a Unitor8 AND an AMT8 linked together with my new(ish) Mac... and that, in itself works great!

However, because old Windows versions like Windows 2000 couldn't handle more than a certain number of MIDI ports, I went over the MIDI port limit for that Windows version running in Crossover, and SoundDiver now gives a MIDI communication error on start, and won't work anymore at all.

For me, having those extra MIDI ports is more important than being able to use SoundDiver with all that stuff, though... so, I put that idea back on ice for now.

So, in other words, you could use SoundDiver in a similar setup on a modern Mac, as long as you don't go over the physical MIDI port limit old Windows versions have... which I think was 11 or 12.

If you have more MIDI I/O than that, it won't work with SoundDiver in a Windows environment.

I tried all kinds of different Virtual Machines and emulations before I ended up with CrossOver, btw. (UTM, QEMU, VirtualBox... even Parallels, which can't even emulate anything other than the processor it runs on... ridiculous!), but besides varying other problems with most of these apps, the MIDI ports would get locked up when in use by either the host OS, or by the emulated OS and they couldn't "share" them. The only app where I got that working was CrossOver.

I have yet to try if I can run SoundDiver 3 in an old OSX environment on my M3 Mac... but my problem is, that my SoundDiver license was an NFR (not for resale) version on a USB dongle, that stopped working when they shut their server down and you now can't renew those expiring NFR licenses, anymore. And since there's plenty Windows versions of SoundDiver 3 floating around the web that let you bypass the license rather easily, I tried to go with that first.

So, there's still a chance that running an older OSX environment within CrossOver, that would natively support SoundDiver 3 for OSX, could potentially run together with more than one Unitor8-type MIDI interface on a modern Mac, and letting you access your harddware synths via SoundDiver, while using them via your DAW at the same time.

...I'm not sure if it's that easy to run a "virtual" OSX emulation, though. Last time I seriously looked into this, it was only possible to "virtualize" a SERVER version of Mountain Lion... or maybe it was Snow Leopard... that isn't publicly accessible - only per request (I didn't ask).
But maybe CrossOver can just emulate such an environment nowadays... I haven't tried, yet, because the SoundDiver 3 license on my XS-Key expired.

Anyway..., if you happen to have a similar setup (new Mac, CrossOver, SoundDiver), but have a FULL "unexpiring" license for SoundDiver on a "non-NFR" XS-Key, then you might be able to pull this off with more than 11 or 12 MIDI ports, by running SoundDiver 3 for OSX within CrossOver.

What I still miss a bit, is how SoundDiver integrated with the "Multi-Instruments" in Logic back then, where you could send stuff back and forth, between Logic and SoundDiver... but that didn't work in the OSX version anymore, either, from what I remember... and I'm not sure if I'd want to try to get SoundDiver working in an emulated OS9 environment... OMS and all. I don't think that'll work with the "sharing" part.

...or, you could get a new computer AND pay for a license for MIDIQuest to control your synths. This expense has never made it to the top of my priority list... but if I'd have gotten paid for the hours I tried to get SoundDiver to work in some sort of emulation, I could probably have paid for a license for MIDIQuest from that, hahaha.

Long story short... yes... I can see how being able to edit hardware synths from software editors in an old OS, is a compelling reason to stay on that OS... and what all that new stuff costs, of course.

But depending on your expectations (e.g. how many MIDI ports do you need in SoundDiver?) and budget (can you afford MIDIQuest?), there are solutions nowadays, that don't force you to otherwise stay in the age of the sabertooth tiger (or what was the name of the Mac OS version around that time again? Haha!)

Anyway... just trying to help... but I'm happy to try to think of suggestions that work within your restrictions, once I understand the restrictions better.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:20 pm

...oh, and another example, the CS2x "Tune e'm up" Editor from back in the 90s or so, works on my "new" Mac via CrossOver, and shared use of the MIDI ports as well.
(As long as you don't go over the MIDI ports limit for old Windows as I did).
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:13 am

Hi,
Just out of curiosity, when you are doing these noise floor measurements, if you by chance have any of these synths, drum machines and samplers plugged in? In my experience these types of electronic instruments (even some of the higher end ones) have quite high levels of self-noise. Just a thought.

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby paugui » Mon Aug 26, 2024 7:27 pm

Hi all

Sorry for my lack of reply, but I thought I would get a mail letting me know there were replies in this post…
Now I know that’s how this forum works! :)

I still need to read properly all the replies (thank you all for putting such an effort in giving me your feedback), but I'll just address the noise questions quickly, since I see that’s a point mentioned by you all…

To measure the noise floor I simply used the mixing software for the RME Fireface 800.
This tells me the levels it is receiving in each of the inputs as well as the levels it should be sending on each of the outputs!

If you don’t have anything connected to the analog inputs, they should measure around -108dB for the line inputs and -103dB for the preamp inputs.
If you connect some gear, that gear will likely have some residual noise floor in the outputs and the level should go up…
Sometimes you might even notice some ground loops and the levels can be pretty high, but if everything is working fine, it shouldn’t be much higher than -100dB, for a sound source (if you have an effects processor connected, it can measure much higher than that).

When I tested the Creamware A16s, I noticed the noise floor coming from the ADAT channels to be somewhere around -90/-95dB, without any gear connected to the inputs.

That might not sound like a huge noise floor, but you had it coming from 16 extra channels, so you could really notice a very significant difference when using headphones rather than speakers…

So to answer that question, it’s not just about the software showing me a high noise floor, I could definitely listen to it! And it bothered me…

Guess there could be some ways to fix that situation…
For instance, I didn’t try to use a Wordclock cable to get better syncing as I didn’t have a proper cable with me then…
But from what I could find back then, I think it was normal that the ADAT channels were noisier than the RME’s own channels…
And if that’s the case, I didn’t see much point in using those extra channels…
If I wanted to record, I just felt it would be better to just record multiple times and just use the channels that have better quality…

With the Mackie D8B, I think things would be a bit different, as being able to use it as a mixer would definitely be a game changer for my studio!
To put it in perspective, it would pretty much give me the same amount of inputs as the RME Fireface 800 + Creamware A16, which is definitely a nice amount of inputs!
And of course, the extra effects processors it features could be really nice to have as well!

If the channels are too noisy, maybe I could just stick to the channels from the Mackie, or just use it afterwards for mixing…

I will address some other point you raised in your replies soon, but let me just re-read them a bit better!
paugui

Postby paugui » Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:50 pm

Since Y-my-R asked about my iMac G5, I’m using it partly because of budget, partly because it is convenient!

Despite it’s an old computer, it runs pretty smoothly and features a really nice big screen that makes it a joy to work with!

I am aware there are ways to run some old software on newer machines, but I have tried some of the editors I need on newer computers, and the big screen of the iMac G5 really makes a difference!

And as far as I am aware, I don’t think all software can be emulated properly, or it can be really hard to make work smoothly…
For instance, I don’t think I could run my Symbolic Sounds Kyma Capybara 320 or my JazzMutant Lemur on newer computer, but might be wrong…
And those are essential to me!

Anyway, all the software I’m using runs really well on this computer!
The only problem is that the processing power available is not that much…

I have both Ableton Live 8 and Logic Pro 8 and those DAWs run pretty smoothly!
But as soon as I start using lots of virtual instruments, it will quickly tell me there is not enough processing power to do that…

Fortunately I have quite some hardware available, so that’s not a huge problem…
But it would definitely be nice to be able to user more software instruments!

So I wouldn’t mind going for a newer computer, but sadly my current laptop hasn’t been that reliable…
If I wanted to do that move, I would really need a new computer, likely a new sound card too (the RME Fireface 800 is supposed to work on newer OSs but the adapters are quite expensive, so you kinda feel it’s just better to go for a new modern alternative…) and a new DAW too at least…
And then I should get some extra plugins to make it really worth it…
It wouldn’t be cheap…

So for now I think I am ok with this setup!
And honestly, if I would get a new computer, I would probably try to use it along my iMac G5 rather than using it to replace the older system…

And if this would happen, I think the Mackie D8B could be a good solution!
I could just get an RME Digiface USB for the new computer and use the 4 ADAT ports connected to the Mackie D8B and to the RME Fireface 800 that is connected to the iMac G5, so I would have a pretty large system there!

Oh… And about the Korg Zero 8 and noise…
You could definitely notice some noise, but I think I was using it with my monitors most of the time, so it didn’t bother me as much…
But that wasn’t the only problem it had, cause I remember the output on mine to be really low…
I was streaming the output from it and always had issues with it…

The concept was really great in my opinion!
Of course it depends on what you need, but if you happen to be only using stereo gear (when I got it, most of my gear was stereo), it really was a great design!

But the reliability was really really bad…
The touchscreen stopped working multiple times and then the faders for two of the channels stopped working as well…
paugui

Postby paugui » Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:24 am

Ok, so I think I read all the replies properly by now! :)

Yes, I have a thing for old gear… :)
I don’t really have unlimited budget, so I always tried to go for gear I could find used for good prices rather than going for the newest gear…
Right now it’s not that easy to find deals that are really worth, but when I started getting gear, around 15 years ago, you could find plenty of gear that was really worth it, stuff that would give you features and quality like you couldn’t find new for similar prices!

With the Symbolic Sounds Kyma Capybara 320, I actually wanted the previous version as I wanted to give it a try without spending that much…
But fortunately I got a killer deal for mine and just went for it!
It might not be able to run the latest version of the Kyma software (Kyma 7), or run in new computers (I don’t think you can do it with Wine or similar…), but it sounds really good and it really lets you come up with really amazing sounds and effects!

But with recording gear, my take on it is that, if it’s quality gear and it still works well, just stick with it!
Sooner or later it will stop working, so better just wait for when that time comes to get something new! ;)
I think the RME Fireface 800 should still work with a new computer, but you need two adapters for it, and since mine is starting to show its age (a jack in the back is a bit wobbly, but it still works fine), I think I rather just go for a new sound card, but really need a new laptop for it to be worth it…

What I don’t really have is a good mixer…

I had the Korg before, but reliability was terrible and as soon as I started using lots of mono channels, it started lacking channels, especially after a set of faders failed…
I also had a Yamaha MV1602, but I started feeling I wanted a more serious mixer, so I got rid of it for something else…

Right now I have a Soundtracs Solo and a Sony MXP2908…
Sadly I don’t have the power supply for the Sony, so it was pretty much just a purchase thinking of the future (it was really cheap, fortunately).
The Soundtracs Solo seems to work well(maybe seems some calibration), but it doesn’t have enough channels…

The Mackie D8B would be quite different from any of those, and I think quite a step forward!

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind an analog mixer, but sadly the nice ones are all way bigger, and I really don’t have much space available…
So I was thinking a good digital mixer with ADAT could make sense…

My number one choice would be a Sony DMX-R100, cause I really love the design and the effects I have from Sony (DPS-V77, DPS-D7 and Ibanez SDR1000+, since it’s pretty much a rebadged Sony MU-R201).
But sadly, that one is much harder to find and usually much more expensive…

The Mackie D8B seems like it could be a good compromise between a decent price, good features and good design!
Like it or not, if it’s going to be the center of your center of your studio, you better get a mixer that looks nice and gives you a really professional feeling!

Modern alternatives, like the Tascam Model 24, don’t really give me that…
Those to me look like Home-Studio gear, while the Mackie D8B or Sony DMX-R100 both look like top notch professional gear!
And that’s what I want to have in the studio!

Trying to go back on track…
That pretty much tells you my experience with mixers…

I think the most similar one is probably the Korg Zero 8, but I didn’t really use it as a Firewire interface…
But it thought me how important send / return tracks can be to add some effects, along with the importance of adding some EQing to your tracks!
So I guess that means there is a lot new to explore with the Mackie D8B…

Trying to be more precise on what I want to do with it…
I would be happy if I can do these 3 things with it easily!

Number one, I want to be able to use it to send extra tracks into my sound card with ADAT!
So I want to connect something into the Mackie D8B and send them into the DAW with as little processing as possible.

Number two, I want to be able to send those tracks I recorded back into the Mackie D8B using ADAT, mix those tracks in it, and then send them back into my DAW using ADAT again.

Number three, being able to add some of the effects it features to my tracks! Regular effects I don’t think I’ll need (from the comments I am sure I have much better units), but the mastering stuff and the auto tune could definitely be useful for me!

Would be great to be able to use it as a controller for my DAW (Ableton Live 8 or Logic Pro 8), but from what I could read, it’s not that good and I would be better with a Mackie HUI instead, so it’s fine it won’t be possible to do that…

I guess this is easy to do even with my lack of experience, right?

About the sound, I don’t mind that the sound is a bit darker and not that characterful…
Actually, one of my favourite samplers is the Akai S6000 and people usually consider it to sound pretty transparent as if it was a bad thing…
To me it’s not!

I see that the effects are not that good, unless you want to go a bit crazy, but is that true for the Dynamics / EQs / Compressors too?
I have plenty of “regular” effects, so I don’t really care if those aren’t that good, but since I don’t have any dedicated hardware processor for Dynamics / EQs / Compressors, I was hoping it would actually add a lot to my setup in this area…

Is it just not at the same standard as some new plugins, while still sounding good, or do you feel it’s better to just bypass them?

And about the noise, you definitely might have a point with the b16 its from the convertors…
That’s probably what I saw at the time…

In that case, I’m hoping that, since the Mackie has 24bit convertors, it will have less background noise in the different channels?
I am ok that it’s not as good as the RME Fireface 800 own channels, but would be great if it is a considerable improvement over the Creamware A16s I had…

Also, are you sure you can’t compare the noise levels of the RME Fireface 800 with the noise levels from a digital mixer?
Cause the RME also acts like a mixer, you just have to use software to control it rather knobs and buttons…
With an analog mixer, I would expect you’d get some bleeding between channels and maybe other sources from noise…
But with the Mackie I would expect the mixing to be done all digitally in the same way it is done on the RME Fireface 800, no?

The one thing that definitely worries me is that is definitely not the most reliable piece of gear…
Unless it’s something really really easy, I don’t think I could repair it myself…
Even if it’s a unit that works well, it will still most likely give you some trouble within a year, right?

I guess I address all the comments by now…

So I would just finish by asking, what would be a reasonable price for a working unit with 4 Apogee Digital I/O (the one with TDIF and ADAT), 1 MFX and 1 UFX boards installed, running OS 5.1 with all plugins unlocked?
With power supply / CPU unit included, of course!
But sadly it has no Wordclock Sync board…

Also, knowing everything you know about it, would you get one now if you didn’t have any experience with it, or would you go for something new, like the Tascam Model 24?

Sorry for the long post and thank you all for your patiency!

P.S. - I would love an old Pro Tools rig, but don't think I can find one easily here in Portugal…
Honestly, because of things can get messy with licenses, I'd just rather get one with everything setup, and that means shipping would be expensive…
But I saw one from UK not long ago for a reasonable price (around 150£), but shipping and taxes would ruin it (and I think it was pickup only…)
paugui

Next

Return to d8b Forum