Change font size   Print view

D8B Check List

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8B Check List

Postby D8BNOOB » Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:17 pm

Hello, I plan on picking up a D8B for a good deal locally. The listing shows it comes with the D8B, CPU, and power supplies. My plan is to use the D8B as a DAW controller for ProTools with all 24 faders working. I understand I will need the ProBox for this, is there any other thing I may be missing? I am very new to the D8B, so my apologizes for the noob questions. Do I need any other cards? Are there any cards or other items I should consider buying for a smooth workflow? Any help is appreciated thank you!
D8BNOOB

Re: D8B Check List

Postby csp » Wed Aug 07, 2024 11:01 pm

d8bnoob,

I am not the best person to be advising on this matter as I do not use the desk as a DAW controller and have had zero experience with the ProBox, BUT you will definitely need the Apogee Clock card and the CORRECT DB25 data cable --- it must be 1 - 1 connected between the plugs.

I am aslo guessing that you will probably require something like the OPT8 cards.

It would be very helpfull for all who might be helping you if you can advise exactly what is comming with the desk --- such as all of the cards, cables, OS vers, etc and is the desk 110 or 240 volt operation because if you live in a 240V country you will DEFINITELY require a good wattaged step down transformer.

Also is the desk fully working at present --- be sure to see it working and passing audio.

I am sure that others who are experienced doing what you want to do will chime in with all that you will require.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:00 am

Sorry to disagree, here, but you need none of the things David mentioned, to use the D8B as a "controller only" with Pro Tools.

All that's needed, is the D8B console and rack unit (which is also the power supply). You don't even need a DB25-to-DB25 cable, that usually needs to be connected when using the D8B as a mixer.

When using the D8B as intended as a mixer, then the computer portion of the rack unit needs to be able to successfully boot up for it to work as a mixer... but not even that is necessary when using the D8B with a ProBox as a controller ONLY.

The rack unit needs to be there to provide power to the D8B console, and you connect the DB25 cable that is attached to the ProBox, directly to the back of the D8B console.
Then connect the USB cable end of the ProBox to your computer.

Then you need to add 3 HUI controllers in Pro Tools, make sure the ProBox is set to operate in HUI mode and configure the MIDI ports the ProBox shows on your computer inside Pro Tools (no need to install a driver for the ProBox - it's "class compliant" meaning it works with your computer's built-in drivers).

I think this is why the D8B is popular to use as a controller with a ProBox... the D8B is kind of difficult to keep working as a mixer once it starts acting up... but if it does and "dies" as a mixer, it can still be used as a controller via the ProBox, as long as the console hardware itself isn't defective.

I used to think that you can even take the mainboard out of the rack unit, as long as the power supply components are still there, but this is apparently wrong. The mainboard needs to be there, for the rack unit to turn on and stay on, and provide power to the console... but that's it. It doesn't have to be "working," otherwise.

A separate ProBox forum can be found on d8bforum.com btw... but you have a higher chance of people responding over here ;)

Be advised, that you can NOT use the D8B to route audio between the D8B and Pro Tools, when used with the ProBox. It will really be ONLY a controller (plus some functionality similar to a Mackie Big Knob... so, a monitor controller and software control surface).
Some people think that adding a ProBox will magically send 24 audio tracks back and forth between the D8B and your computer, but that is NOT the case. This sort of setup would require a quite elaborate setup with an audio interface (or multiple cascaded ones) that allows for 24 or more inputs and outputs.

But as a controller ONLY, you need the D8B console, the rack unit, the ProBox and a regular power cable. Nothing else (no mouse or keyboard, either... the D8B console can be missing ALL cards, and it will still work as a controller).
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:23 am

Y-my-R,

As stated elsewhere, no offence taken and gald that you could chime in and assist the new member.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Nick Birkby » Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:49 am

The unit that I bought and am working on came with a Probox. It was one of the reasons that I bought it, figuring if the mixer couldnt be revived, Id at least have the second option of a controller. Id really love to get the mixer working though...

Does Probox/ HUI integrate well with Cubase? I have a small Protools 8 setup with a Digi003, but know Cubase better...
Nick Birkby

Postby D8BNOOB » Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:48 am

Thank you for all the information and help! I greatly appreciate it. The seller has now stated that he receives "Error 43: Host Did Not Boot" when trying to start the D8B. What could cause this? Since I will just being using the D8B as a controller with ProBox will this be an issue? Thanks again!
D8BNOOB

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:50 am

D8BNOOB wrote:Thank you for all the information and help! I greatly appreciate it. The seller has now stated that he receives "Error 43: Host Did Not Boot" when trying to start the D8B. What could cause this? Since I will just being using the D8B as a controller with ProBox will this be an issue? Thanks again!

Nope, don't be concerned about the 'Error 43' error if you're using a ProBox - you'll never see it. You don't need anything attached to the D8B's CPU rack unit but the BFC connector for voltages... the ProBox interfaces the DB25 serial connection and converts it over to USB that you'll use to connect to your computer and communicate with your DAW (Logic, Pro Tools, whatever). You obviously don't need a mouse, keyboard or monitor either on the CPU rack, you'll be using the ones connected to your DAW computer for everything... the D8B's native 'DAW' interface (Mackie OS) isn't even in the picture.

That should probably make a little more sense of things...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum