Change font size   Print view

d8b VGA to HDMI

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b VGA to HDMI

Postby csp » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:08 am

Has anyone had any experience using an active VGA to HDMI adaptor to connect the d8b's VGA output to a modern HD TV that only has HDMI inputs ?

The TV that came with the donated desk two yesrs ago only has about a 17" screen, which could be Ok if the monitor was almost sitting on top of the desk, but in my case the monitor will be about 6+ft from the operator's sitting position and as such the screen is far to small. I would like to purchase either a 32" or 42" HD TV for the Centre, but all modern TV sets do not have a VGA input, hence the adaptor purchase. A dedicated computer monitor of the size required that has a VGA input would be far too expensive for the Centre.

I have tested the adaptor at home using an old laptop that has VGA output and have connected it via the adaptor to a 32" HD TV's HDMI input and it works as expected.

Today I tried plugging the d8b's VGA output into the fully powered up, purchased adaptor and then via HDMI to the 17" TV (it has an HDMI input) BUT all that I got was a 2mm wide vertical line down the LHS of the screen's edge.

Can anyone advise if this is normal and the d8b for some reason will not allow the conversion of its VGA signal to HDMI or have I done something completely stupid --- quite possible ???

My own system uses a 32" monitor that only has VGA input, so I have not tried to see what would happen with my desk if trying to connect to an HDMI input.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: d8b VGA to HDMI

Postby doktor1360 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:50 pm

csp wrote:Has anyone had any experience using an active VGA to HDMI adaptor to connect the d8b's VGA output to a modern HD TV that only has HDMI inputs ?

The TV that came with the donated desk two yesrs ago only has about a 17" screen, which could be Ok if the monitor was almost sitting on top of the desk, but in my case the monitor will be about 6+ft from the operator's sitting position and as such the screen is far to small. I would like to purchase either a 32" or 42" HD TV for the Centre, but all modern TV sets do not have a VGA input, hence the adaptor purchase. A dedicated computer monitor of the size required that has a VGA input would be far too expensive for the Centre.

I have tested the adaptor at home using an old laptop that has VGA output and have connected it via the adaptor to a 32" HD TV's HDMI input and it works as expected.

Today I tried plugging the d8b's VGA output into the fully powered up, purchased adaptor and then via HDMI to the 17" TV (it has an HDMI input) BUT all that I got was a 2mm wide vertical line down the LHS of the screen's edge.

Can anyone advise if this is normal and the d8b for some reason will not allow the conversion of its VGA signal to HDMI or have I done something completely stupid --- quite possible ???

My own system uses a 32" monitor that only has VGA input, so I have not tried to see what would happen with my desk if trying to connect to an HDMI input.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

David

That's not gonna scale correctly David, that's why you got that funky sh*t on your display. I personally used something like this in conjunction with a Blackbox DB25 Switch (D8B / ProBox):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NJMWLR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately, I couldn't find this particular converter switch available on a general web search (its currently unavailable on Amazon) - however, Aten has this gadget and you could always look around and find one for yourself, it's a bit less expensive than the one I purchased also. Here's a link to the Aten converter switch:

https://www.aten.com/us/en/products/professional-audiovideo/video-converters/vc180/

Aten is a really good brand for this type of specialized piece of kit. I'm sure you could locate a vendor for this doing a search for the Aten model #, ot StarTech has one too, or doing a general web search with the terms "vga to hdmi converter switcher" or something similar. Bottom line, it's not gonna scale and display properly unless the VGA signal is converted to HDMI for display, the resolution needs to be altered for an HDMI display - the one I used scaled perfectly onto a 43" Insignia HDMI TV I used for about a year and a half...

Have a look at them and see which suits your needs and budget, they're out there...

I trust this will be of assistance in your search for a solution to the conversion you're wanting to work out...

Of course, you knew it was coming so here it is :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: d8b VGA to HDMI

Postby csp » Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:02 am

Dok,

Thank you for the information.

I have had a look at the Aten unit and have done a search on ebay Australia (www.ebay.com.au) where there are a number of units listed, BUT at least $AUS 100+ more that I paid for the unit that I have purchased.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/29406676737 ... BMuN-ikYdk

They both appear to be similar in operation the main difference being that Aten unit uses an external power source, wheras the unit that I purchased is powered by a type-C USB plug/power supply --- lead but not the power supply come with the unit.

I am not sure if I really want to spend another $AUS150+ of my money on a device that for some reason might not work with a TV set that I might have to buy --- ie a 32" or 40" HD TV.

What I don't understand is why when I connected the device to an old VGA laptop that I have at home,the converter when I connected it to a TV (at home) that has HDMI input it appeared to work perfectly, BUT at the Centre, when connecting the d8b's VGA output to the converter and then into a small TV's HDMI input, it did not work ???????

Maybe I am just going to have to tell those who might be using the desk, to simply wear VERY strong glasses and stick with the desk's VGA output ---- just a shame that TV manufacturers stopped installing VGA on TV's as another output option !!!!!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum