Change font size   Print view

New member hello/ D8B arriving

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: New member hello/ D8B arriving

Postby Nick Birkby » Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:56 am

Im going to try the following:

I realised that my old Mac G4 will read FAT32 discs no problem, so am going to install the D8B drive in the Mac and try and see if its operational, hopefully it is.

If so Im going to do a disc image restore to a USB stick on the laptop, transfer that to the G4 and then hopefully copy the new files across to the original drive :IE not installing a disc image but trying with the new files on the drive as it is.
Btw I noticed that the drive had clearly been removed at some point, missing nuts on the hd holder...

At very least I can see if the drive is operational.

Y-my R, on a separate tack I went through the whole BIOS carefully again and it is as it should be. To be clear this is the old motherboard pdf. One thing I did try was to disable the Paralell port as per suggestion, though the BIOS instruction says it should be on. I also couldnt find a setting for USB controller to disable that.
Thanks again, will report back later. :)
Nick Birkby

Postby csp » Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:41 pm

Nick,

I could be completely wrong here (with my complete lack of real computer knowledge), but if I read you correctly and you are going to do what I think you are with the USB stick, I don't think that it will work, BUT as stated I could be completely wrong.

I would suggest waiting until one of the more computer expert members chimes in and either corrects what I have suggested and state that you can do what your are proposing or that as I think is the case, the files will have to be installed via the imaged floppy disks.

Good luck with it either way.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Nick Birkby » Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:00 pm

Well I didnt have much luck mounting the drive on the Mac, so this probably isnt the best way to go.

The Mac did recognise the drive as well as its size (2gb) and how much data used so there is some hope for it.
I may be missing something obvious in opening the drive as Im also quite clueless with aspects of computers sometimes.

The best way might just to be my original plan and buy a IDE to SATA adapter and try again on a XP PC...
Nick Birkby

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:06 pm

Sorry about the apparently wrong info about what the database says should be on or off in the BIOS.

I always turn the Parallel port off, since the D8B system doesn't use that, and anything that normally uses an IRQ (aka "interrupt" as in a prioritized permission to "interrupt whatever the computer processor is doing," to handle that task... in this case, the potential for the parallel port to take up CPU cycles for no reason).

Anyway, if the database doesn't say to turn that off, it should work with it on... I'd turn it off, anyway. I'd have to take a look about the USB thing, but if there isn't anything, that should be fine, too.

Sorry again for the potential confusion and the conflict with what it says in the database. In addition to making basic settings per the database, I just use "conventional old-school PC wisdom" to further optimize (aka, disable anything that isn't actually in use by the D8B) - but if you set everything to how its described in the database, nothing else in the BIOS should get in the way of the D8B booting.

So... good that you carefully set the BIOS per the database... and sorry if I made you check everything a second time, if it was already right.

As far as I recall, MacOS 9 and early versions of MacOS X weren't able to read FAT/FAT32 - or at least not write to that file system. From what I remember, you had to install some extra application to make that possible (that often caused new, different problems), to make that work on older Macs. (I hope I'm not confusing that with NTFS, where that was definitely like that).
More recent versions of MacOS can read/write FAT/FAT32, but Macs that can do that, don't usually have floppy drives, anymore. So, not sure if that G4 would be able to read the D8B drive the way it is originally formatted (if you're certain that it should, but it doesn't see the partition, the partition might be shot, so you might have to clone or format from the D8B floppies, after all. Formatting in fAT/FAT32 from the Mac won't help, as mentioned, before).

An IDE-to-SSD adapter will work in an HDR... I never tried in a D8B. In the HDR, though, I bought 2 different ones that didn't work, until I bought a 3rd one that "doctor1360" here on this forum recommended that DID work.

I can look up what brand/model that was if you want to go that route... but I wouldn't know if this will work in the D8B (or on the "old motherboard" for it). The HDR uses the same motherboard as the "newer" motherboard that some D8Bs have.

As for cloning or restoring drives via the the Mac... I'm a Mac guy, but didn't have much luck with that, when I tried. Disk Utility didn't work. Carbon Copy Cloner didn't work. Dupe didn't work, etc., so I eventually gave up.

Since I had an old PC (and also converted a D8B rack unit to a Win98 system at some point, and can now access a working PC floppy drive that way), I just switched to PC for doing that.

I mean... you could temporarily install Windows on the D8B, just to make that floppy edit for a clean installation to the same drive, afterwards, but it wasn't straight forward, either. I don't recall what got in the way, but I had to work around several odd issues for it to accept the Windows installation and boot from it.

Another crazy idea (I have a lot of those, haha), would be to install Linux on that G4 (there's some older Linux distributions that did that... I had SuSE Linux running on a PowerPC 9200 at some point, for example, and am running Ubuntu on a Core2Duo Mac Mini), then access the first boot floppy of the D8B from there, and add that "format:on" line to the Tools.ini file from there. But that's a lot of work (that comes with it's own challenges... old Linux like that had to be configured via command line for installation), so, probably not worth the effort, unless you'd somehow have another use for the G4 if it was running Linux, haha.

Another idea I mentioned before, is to boot the D8B rack computer with a DOS bootup disk. For booting, even an old Windows 95 or Windows 98 startup disk would work. The problem, then, is that, those bootup disks didn't always come with an Editor that would be needed to modify that first D8B floppy.

But if you CAN somehow get a hold of an old DOS boot floppy (or try a Windows boot floppy that is intended to start the installation of Windows on old PCs like that), this would be the lowest effort method mentioned in this particular post.
You could do it like this, in that case:

1. Set the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the floppy (A:) first
2. Insert the DOS/old-Windows boot floppy into the floppy drive
3. Let it boot until it shows C:
4. take out the DOS/old-Windows floppy and put in the first D8B boot floppy
5. type "A:" (no quotes)
6. at the A: prompt, type "edit tools.ini" (no quotes)
(7. - if you get a "command not found" error, then there's no editor on that boot floppy. If you get a tools.ini not found error, then the tools.ini file apparently isn't on the root of the floppy disk (I don't remember where exactly it is located on the floppy), you can see a list of folders by typing "dir" (or dir -p to add page breaks, if things scroll by too fast). You can change into a folder that is listed, by typing cd foldername (with foldername being the folder you want to access). Then type "dir" again (no quotes) to see what's in the folder. To back out of a folder, type cd.. or cd .. (I think the space between cd and the two dots is only necessary on unix... but if cd.. doens't work, try with that space). This will bring you one folder up. With these couple of commands, you should be able to navigate the folders on the floppy until you find the tools.ini file)
7. If you don't get an error (e.g. command not found), but a weird blue screen opens with a bunch of cryptic looking lines on it, then you're lucky and the floppy has the editor as part of that DOS version and opened the tools.ini file.
8. Use the editor to add the new line "format:on" at the end, as a new line, and save. (You navigate with the arrow keys on the keyboard. I don't recall for sure, but I think you access menus with the Alt-key while simultaneously pressing the first key of the word in the pull down menu... so, "Alt-F" to access the "File" menu in order to save.

I haven't done this sort of thing in a while, though, so the steps above may not be 100% accurate... but hopefully what I wrote here is enough to give a clue how to work this, when trying to edit the D8B boot floppy after booting the rack computer into DOS via a DOS/old-Windows startup floppy disk.

Short of buying an IDE-to-USB adapter (just search for that online - they're quite cheap... usually under $20 - I just saw one for under $4, shipping from China) in order to connect the D8B drive directly to your Windows laptop, I can't really think of another good way to do this via an old G4 or a floppy-less Windows PC.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:18 am

Nick.

I have just sent you a PM.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Nick Birkby » Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:04 pm

Hi Y-my-R, thanks for the advice and no worries, I assumed it wasnt an important setting in the greater scheme of things. :D
At least Ive really scrutinised it now...

Im going to find a floppy drive in my box of bits and see if I can get it installed in the XP machine. It may be that works, and Ive got plenty of discs lying around...

Failing that I will def buy a IDE to SATA bridge adapter and just try and do a clone drive on another IDE drive and try that.
Im just going to have to be patient and work through the varaibles.

Quick question, Im assuming the CPU will boot fine if its not plugged into the actual desk? At the momnt it is plugged in.
Have a good weekend all!
Nick Birkby

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:51 pm

I know that's not what you're planning to do, but I wanted to correct something I said:

Installing Linux on the G4 would likely not help, because it's possible that it would also not be able to read/write the PC floppy format. There'd probably be some additional app that could be installed to make that possible, but that's also kinda tricky, depending on the Linux distribution.

Also, I was thinking about the IDE-to-SSD idea... and came to think that this will likely NOT work, because you might have trouble finding an SSD drive that is small enough. Again, if you use a CF card that is too big (some say over 16 GB is too much, but as mentioned, I got a 32 GB to work... but for the purpose of the BIOS "recognizing" the drive in the first place, how it's formatted or how a smaller partition is written onto it, doesn't usually help... maybe I was just lucky).

The HDR where I'm using an SSD has the "large harddrive BIOS" upgrade. Not sure if that would work without that.

If you can find a floppy drive and install it into a Win XP machine, that would eliminate all those weird workarounds I was suggesting. You could just download the floppy drive images from the database, extract those images, and then run the .exe file from the Windows XP computer. That .exe file is a program that will write the Mackie OS installation floppy disks properly. Do NOT just copy the downloaded (or extracted) file(s) onto the floppy disk... that would not work, and besides, they're too large to fit on a floppy like that (many new users on this forum try to just copy to floppy and then ask here why that doesn't work).

Also, if you can't find another working floppy drive, you could just temporarily use the one in the D8B in your XP computer. You'd have the D8B rack unit open already, anyway (b/c you took out the harddrive, right?).
Maybe if you're lucky, you don't even have to physically remove it, if the ribbon cable for the floppy drive is long enough to connect to the mainboard of your XP computer (...and I'd just leave the power cable from the D8B to the floppy connected in that case, and turn the D8B rack unit on, just to provide power to the floppy).
It'll sure look "dangerous" but I've done this sort of thing plenty of times, haha.

The D8B rack unit will NOT fully boot without the Console connected. However, it will boot far enough, so you should see the graphical "D8B Real Time OS" splash background, once the harddrive is detected and it tries to boot. Soon after, you'd get some sort of "DSP Error" if the console is not connected.
But if you get far enough to see the graphical D8B startup splash screen, you know that the harddrive was detected and that that special D8B boot sector is working.

So... you don't need to have the console connected until you reach that point. Once you get the DSP error when attempting to start, shut it all down, connect the giant "BFC" cable and a DB25 parallel cable between the rack unit and the console. That's necessary to get past that splash screen and for the D8B to FULLY boot.

Best of luck again! :)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:36 pm

...I just thought of something even easier, if your G4 still runs MacOS9...?

Since nobody here usually still has a MacOS 8 or 9 computer with a floppy drive, I keep forgetting that the database actually has floppy disc images in .hqx format, that can be used to write the floppy drives from those old OS versions.

They're here:
https://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/index.html#Post6

So, you download the "for Mac" disc images and run the app that's in there... that should prompt you to insert a floppy disk, and then you can just write new D8B OS installation floppies that way.

Not sure if the Mac will let you add the "format:on" line, or if that's maybe already part of those images (never used the MacOS 9 images... I still have a Titanium Powerbook, but it doesn't have a floppy drive).

So, if you can do this from MacOS 9, it should be pretty straight forward, and the process Mackie had intended for the D8B re-installation.

...sorry for typing all that other stuff before, when the answer could have been so simple, haha!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Nick Birkby » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:20 am

Hi Y-my-R, thank you for the information and advice.
Yes I have a G4 running OS9 as I still use Cubase and a bunch of peripheral gear like Opcode midi stuff that works really well on these old machines. Its the more midi side of my home studio.
I bought up sevral G4s oer the years to future -proof it haha!

So, yes, I must try install the spare floppy drive in one as i found the hqx files where you said. Failing that I have an old beige G3 with built in floppy I could try as well.
(Btw The floppy drive wont work in the XP windows machine as its all new SATA connectors inside, so that idea is shelved for now)

This weekend I will put some work in and report back. Thank you all again for taking the time to help and advise, I hope I have good news in my next post(s) :D
Nick Birkby

Postby csp » Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:48 am

Nick,

Fingers crossed !!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum