Change font size   Print view

Advice on what to do first with a d8b

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Advice on what to do first with a d8b

Postby Jondav1120 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:13 am

Cache memory error is (I think) processor related, so it may be that the processor has a fault! However before condemning the processor, can you get into the BIOS (Hit F1 to get in) and check the BIOS settings against this document.
You may need to perform a BIOS reset (battery out for 24hours) as the older motherboard in one of mine has done some weird things when the battery gets low, and the only way I have found to reset is to remove the battery completely!

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby spynmaker » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:31 am

Ok, going to give that a try. Thank you very much.
spynmaker

Postby arjepsen » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:27 pm

One thing to note from those pictures is that you have the old type motherboard.
Interesting thing to note is, if you don't need to use the harddisk recorder, you can exchange the motherboard in that one - that is the same as the newer motherboard in the cpu units.

I actually don't think you need to leave it aside for 24 hours... I would take out the battery, disconnect the psu, but everything else connected - just for 5 minutes. I haven't done tests on this though, so I could be wrong.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby spynmaker » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:21 am

Ok,thats interesting about the motherboard. I might need more info on that. But first lol
Tried everything you said and while I had the old battery out, I put a new one in. And now NOTHING! Hard drive clicks a couple of times, and that's it. Floppy doesn't light up and the screen doesn't come on. What should I do now?
spynmaker

Postby Jondav1120 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 am

Hi, did you manage to get into the BIOS prior to changing the battery? How long did you leave the battery out for?

Few things to try:
1. It has been my experience with the older motherboard, that when the battery gets low, the BIOS memory will only be partially wiped back to its default settings, with the result that it would do some bizarre things. I've just checked the older motherboard manual from the database, and it appears to have a two position BIOS jumper (normal/clear CMOS). Pop the battery out, find this jumper on the board and move it to the "clear CMOS" position. This should instantly reset the CMOS back to defaults, but to be sure, leave it for a few minutes. Move the jumper back to where it was, and reinstall the BIOS battery. Try a reboot...
2. Disconnect the hard drive and the floppy, and try a reboot...
3. Remove the MIDI and Network cards from their slots on the motherboard, unplug the mouse and try a reboot...

We need to get into the BIOS as a first step to set this correctly, and at the barest minimum this requires a working video card and keyboard. The first step will be to get the video working with nothing connected to the motherboard, set the BIOS correctly and then, reconnect all the disconnected components.

Also, my apologies...I had completely forgotten about the "clear CMOS" option jumper! On a lot of older motherboards this jumper was not there and the only way to clear the CMOS memory was to remove the battery for a reasonable length of time to allow the voltage to dissipate. This time could be significant, depending on the size of the capacitors and the current draw of the memory.

Just a quick warning regarding the older motherboards...! If you disconnect the power supply plugs from the motherboard, make a note how they are connected (I take a picture to remind me). It is possible to connect these up reversed...your motherboard is unlikely to survive this!!!

Best regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby spynmaker » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:44 am

Never got into BIOS. Going to to try everything suggested and I’ll report back. This is completely new to me so taking it slow so I don’t make any mistakes.
I work on computers all the time, but this is a different animal. Just ordered a PROBOX today so that’s a start for the board side. Thanks for the help walking me through this! It’s greatly appreciated guys.
spynmaker

Postby spynmaker » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:40 am

I just saw that I forgot to answer one question. I left the battery out for like 14 hours.
spynmaker

Postby arjepsen » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:51 am

Like mentioned above, try to disconnect everything except the graphics card and harddrive.
If you have a spare ATX power supply, maybe even connect that instead of the old AT supply in there. You then turn on the system by shorting the two pins on JP2(POW SW)

You can find the manual for the motherboard here:
http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/files/pm9800ma.pdf

Again, the idea here is to remove everything but the strictly necessary hardware, try to get that to boot up, and then work your way up from there.

Did you clear the CMOS using the jumper, when you had the battery out? (JP1)
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby spynmaker » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:25 pm

Yes, I did. I took the battery out and set the jumper to reset CMOS and left it for a few hours then set it back.
Going to be at work tonight, so tomorrow I'll start from square one and try it all again.Thanks for all of the advice guys!
spynmaker

Postby spynmaker » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 am

I had some time after work so I dove into this thing again...
Ok. So here’s where I’m at on this thing.

1. I cleared CMOS by removing the battery and using the jumper setting as well, Nothing.
2. Disconnected the hard drive and the floppy, and tried a reboot, Nothing.
3. I removed the MIDI and Network cards from their slots on the motherboard, unplugged the mouse and tried a reboot, Nothing.
4. Unplugged EVERYTHING from the motherboard (making sure to hook everything back correctly) Still Nothing.

Do not have a ATX power supply laying around. Did a major purge awhile back and got rid of all of my older desktop PC parts laying around.

Any other suggestions?
spynmaker

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum