Change font size   Print view

Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Postby spmonkay » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:09 pm

Will do! Unfortunately my mate didn't give me the mouse and keyboard and as you all know the keyboard and mouse ports are very old school!! :lol: Im hoping he can find them!
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:00 am

spmonkay wrote:Will do! Unfortunately my mate didn't give me the mouse and keyboard and as you all know the keyboard and mouse ports are very old school!! :lol: Im hoping he can find them!

The first - You need to activate USB port for keyboard. You need use USB port on motherboard inside processor block (not pci USB board in pci slot!!!). Check this for the working solution: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1994&hilit=USB+Keyboard

Unfortunately, mouse will not work with USB - You need to find old PS/2 one.

The second - check this for correct BIOS settings: http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post1

Next, if console will booting up normally - check this for 5.1 system unblocking all plugins: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2135

I hope, this threads will help You!

Cheers!
Last edited by angelotaylor on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
angelotaylor

Postby angelotaylor » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:25 am

Y-my-R!!! Thank You, for Your advises, and support!
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:30 pm

Yes I second that! Thank you for all your help and support! It is all very much appreciated! This is a huge learning curve for me and yes I may have gone about it in the wrong way which was by no means intentional! I am sorry if you feel I have wasted anyones time it was not my intention. I am still hoping I can get the d8b up and running as I set out too so the advice I have received will hopefully still be of use to me!

Thanks again

Steve
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:00 pm

spmonkay wrote:Yes I second that! Thank you for all your help and support! It is all very much appreciated! This is a huge learning curve for me and yes I may have gone about it in the wrong way which was by no means intentional! I am sorry if you feel I have wasted anyones time it was not my intention. I am still hoping I can get the d8b up and running as I set out too so the advice I have received will hopefully still be of use to me!

Thanks again

Steve

Dont worry, Steve!
angelotaylor

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:29 pm

I'm not the forum-police or something. I just think that the basic etiquette is usually, to do most of the legwork yourself, and ask if you get stuck, somewhere. Asking before doing something is OK, but 5 threads and 6 pages was a bit much, IMO.

Anyway... I'm willing to help if you get stuck, but I don't really want to map out all possibilities before you give the suggestions that were given a serious try.

As the first thing... if you replaced the battery and did NOT change the BIOS settings back to how they need to be, it is most likely that your desk won't boot right anymore. So, before you have a keyboard ready to do this (you don't need a mouse for the BIOS), there's no point in continuing here.

Once you got the keyboard, figure out if you got the "old" mainboard or the "new" mainboard in your D8B's rack unit. The BIOS settings you need to make are in the Database section of the d8bforum page.

Let's try this first. If it comes to life after that, great. If not, let's cross that bridge when you get there.

...besides, I'm not the only one who can help on here. So, even if I wouldn't respond on this thread, I'm sure there are others who can help you just as well or better (...and definitely more concise). I'm just one of many.

Anyway... good luck with the BIOS settings. Often times, that's all that's needed.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby angelotaylor » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:02 pm

Y-my-R wrote:I'm not the forum-police or something. I just think that the basic etiquette is usually, to do most of the legwork yourself, and ask if you get stuck, somewhere. Asking before doing something is OK, but 5 threads and 6 pages was a bit much, IMO.

Anyway... I'm willing to help if you get stuck, but I don't really want to map out all possibilities before you give the suggestions that were given a serious try.

As the first thing... if you replaced the battery and did NOT change the BIOS settings back to how they need to be, it is most likely that your desk won't boot right anymore. So, before you have a keyboard ready to do this (you don't need a mouse for the BIOS), there's no point in continuing here.

Once you got the keyboard, figure out if you got the "old" mainboard or the "new" mainboard in your D8B's rack unit. The BIOS settings you need to make are in the Database section of the d8bforum page.

Let's try this first. If it comes to life after that, great. If not, let's cross that bridge when you get there.

...besides, I'm not the only one who can help on here. So, even if I wouldn't respond on this thread, I'm sure there are others who can help you just as well or better (...and definitely more concise). I'm just one of many.

Anyway... good luck with the BIOS settings. Often times, that's all that's needed.

Dear Y-my-R! It is not our task to offend You or suspect you of anything. You have helped me before and I am grateful to You. I apologize if my gratitude wasn't understood correctly - I'm not very good at English! I`am Sorry!
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:21 am

And i second that again. I guess I didn't really understand what I was really getting myself into with the d8b. I had a Mackie universal pro which I literally plugged straight in with a midi cable. If im honest I probably wasn't really totally aware of what the d8b was actually capable of. I do appreciate all the advice I have been given. I understand your frustration and if I could start over I would have approached it in a different manner. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I have ordered an internal USB port and will go from there.

Thanks again

Steve
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:29 am

spmonkay wrote:And i second that again. I guess I didn't really understand what I was really getting myself into with the d8b. I had a Mackie universal pro which I literally plugged straight in with a midi cable. If im honest I probably wasn't really totally aware of what the d8b was actually capable of. I do appreciate all the advice I have been given. I understand your frustration and if I could start over I would have approached it in a different manner. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Thanks again

Steve

Despite the fact that the D8B is 20 years old, this console was of the appropriate quality. At the time of production, it cost was $9,000. This quality is still there today. Some people will convince you that digital-to-analog conversion technologies have gone far ahead, but really high-quality converters today have an excessive price. For example, look at the Prism Sound ADA 8XR FW-DSD wich cost about $ 13 000 . Just 16 channels cost a fortune. Compare with them the sound of a simple modern interface, in the price range of up to $ 1,000. You will see that all of them will sound "flat" and "plastic". In the case of the D8B, you will not have a bad sound at all, even if it is old, but sound will be comparable to some expensive modern converters. D8B - sounds much worse than Prism ADA 8, but much better than any modern interface based on ASIO, or Apple Core Audio. Conclusion: good sound is expensive! :)
angelotaylor

Postby Crash » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:59 pm

angelotaylor wrote:
spmonkay wrote:And i second that again. I guess I didn't really understand what I was really getting myself into with the d8b. I had a Mackie universal pro which I literally plugged straight in with a midi cable. If im honest I probably wasn't really totally aware of what the d8b was actually capable of. I do appreciate all the advice I have been given. I understand your frustration and if I could start over I would have approached it in a different manner. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Thanks again

Steve

Despite the fact that the D8B is 20 years old, this console was of the appropriate quality. At the time of production, it cost was $9,000. This quality is still there today. Some people will convince you that digital-to-analog conversion technologies have gone far ahead, but really high-quality converters today have an excessive price. For example, look at the Prism Sound ADA 8XR FW-DSD wich cost about $ 13 000 . Just 16 channels cost a fortune. Compare with them the sound of a simple modern interface, in the price range of up to $ 1,000. You will see that all of them will sound "flat" and "plastic". In the case of the D8B, you will not have a bad sound at all, even if it is old, but sound will be comparable to some expensive modern converters. D8B - sounds much worse than Prism ADA 8, but much better than any modern interface based on ASIO, or Apple Core Audio. Conclusion: good sound is expensive! :)

What difference does it all make when the final product will end up as an MP3 in most cases anyway?
Attachments
Copy of RecordingSignalChain.jpg
Copy of RecordingSignalChain.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 676 times
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum