Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby Marc Girard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:10 pm

bitSync wrote:Is this the plan: Implement a DLL translator that looks like MCU MIDI on the DAW software side and d8b raw serial comms on the d8b hardware side? If so, then I think I get it. If not, then I'm lost.

Sorry for the confusion, I changed plans a few times. Let's make it clear: The goal is to convert the d8b into a DAW controller without the help of the d8b OS.

- At first, I thought using ethernet would be a good idea (replacing the d8b OS completely by Linux) but the results were not 100% what I expected. I had glitches down the line... The hardware is slow and quite limited.

- Now, we shifted to the "direct" approach, we're interfacing directly with the "Console Data" port at the back of the console and talking directly with the board. That means that we need a special cable to connect to our computers but it's faster and more stable. It renders the d8b CPU useless too as we don't even need it anymore, think of it like a modern day brain for the d8b.

- Answer to your question: Yes, that's exactly it. We're writing an application that'll translate the raw d8b protocol to MCU protocol (it'll look like 3 MCUs to your DAW). Since we're at the start of the coding adventure, we're still unsure about a few things but it's looking good!

- If all goes as planned, we might implement more features, like monitoring, talkback and such... But we must keep our focus on the DAW controller for now, there's much work to be done there.

Cheers,

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:51 am

OK. I gotta ask. No d8b CPU. What drives the automation? I'm not thick but I'm having trouble crossing over here. Do we get to see it on a GUI? I spose too soon to know. Just curious.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Casey_Pittman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:02 am

the automation will be handled in the DAW if I understand correctly. Basically the only thing you will need the CPU for is to send power to the mixer.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:56 am

OK. It still has me stumped in terms of inter-reaction and back and forth etc.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:14 am

Marc Girard wrote:
bitSync wrote:Is this the plan: Implement a DLL translator that looks like MCU MIDI on the DAW software side and d8b raw serial comms on the d8b hardware side? If so, then I think I get it. If not, then I'm lost.

Sorry for the confusion, I changed plans a few times. Let's make it clear: The goal is to convert the d8b into a DAW controller without the help of the d8b OS.

Answer to your question: Yes, that's exactly it. We're writing an application that'll translate the raw d8b protocol to MCU protocol (it'll look like 3 MCUs to your DAW).

This makes a ton of sense to me. I understand that shifting to the DAW as the keeper of all console automation information (MCU-MIDI-speak to the DAW, d8b-serial-protocol-speak to the d8b) commits the board to a very personal and direct relationship with the DAW project automation. I'm holding out hope that d8b CPU / DAW CPU switching may be a possible future development, but I completely understand the current committment to get the protocol and translation for d8b serial to DAW MCU solid and kind of forgetting about the d8b CPU for the moment.

I am gradually weaning myself off of out-of-the box recording techniques (not easy for a crusty old-school recordist) and I can actually envision a day when my DAW and my control surface, along with a few outboard goodies, will be all I need in the way of a production environment.

Thank you for taking on this project; it's a really brilliant idea. I love my d8b, but I think I'd love it as much or even more if it was a comprehensive controller for my DAW.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:29 am

I'm still confused. MCUs and HUI use midi.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby siraltus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:22 pm

It will work like this:

Your audio app will see the d8b as an MCU (actually, three of them, 3x8 faders = 24). The d8b will be connected directly to your DAW computer through a serial port (or a USB-to-serial adapter if you don't have one). Marc's writing software that will let your audio app and the d8b talk back and forth to each other. Moving a fader in your audio app will move the fader on the d8b, and moving a fader on the d8b will move the same fader in your audio app. The original d8b computer is completely bypassed and all automation will be handled only and exclusively by your audio app.
siraltus

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:21 pm

I see. Thanks.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby siraltus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Marc, this actually brings up an important question:

If we're using the d8b as a clock master, losing this functionality while running the d8b as a controller would be rather catastrophic, as most of us don't want to invest several hundred (or thousand) bucks in a separate clock. I think keeping the Apogee clock running (and exposing a sample rate control in your software's Preferences dialog, for example) will be critical.
siraltus

Postby Petersueco » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32 pm

As far as I understand it, the d8b will no handle audio anymore. Many of us will have to get new converters and/or new audio interfaces.

However I really expect that further development will include the use of the monitor section and the talkback functionality. And, who knows, maybe some day, we'll get all the d8b functionality being managed from a PC/MAC.

Talk about reverse engineering !
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum