Change font size   Print view

Cloning the Hard Drive

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Cloning the Hard Drive

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Hello folks. I know this has probably been posted elsewhere on the forum but I cannot seem to find it. I want to swap out the Hard Drive in my second d8b for a compact flash drive, but i have some material on the HD that i want to keep. I purchased an IDE to USB adapter and power cable and connected it to both my MAC and my PC so i could clone it to the flash drive, but could not see the contents of the drive or access it from either computer. What am i doing wrong? Both computers will not even recognize the drive so even if i was in a terminal window, i do not know which drive letter it would be.

Thanks for your help
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Cloning the Hard Drive

Postby arjepsen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 pm

I can't speak for mac, but with windows - what version are you using? windows7? windows10?
usually windows will give a popup sound when you connect usb stuff - do you hear that when you connect this harddisk with your adapter?
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Windows 10; I thought i heard the beep-beep sound when connected but noting there in Windows Explorer when i look for it.

RJ

Thanks
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 am

ok, try this:
insert it usb thing, then rightclick the windows/start button, and choose the disk management (not sure that's the exact wording, since mine is in danish - it's probably the 7th from the top).

Here you'll have an overview of the disks in the system.

The question is whether the computer recognizes the harddrive, but just isn't able to read the partitions.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks Much - I will try it tonight but i do not think the system is recognizing the hard drive.
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:03 am

Do you have another harddisk you could try - just to verify the functionality of the usb dongle?
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:09 pm

That is a great point. i will try that tonight. I did questions the IDE - USB connector but did not test it yet.
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum