Change font size   Print view

USB Keyboard Support Solved!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

USB Keyboard Support Solved!

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Wanted to share this with the forum today. Please forgive me if you are already doing this, but for the folks who might not know this, i stumbled across this in the past couple of days. I could not stand using an old 5 pin din keyboard and have been determine to figure out how to make a current day USB keyboard work with the d8b. First I tried installing a PCI 1 - 4 port USB card in the cpu but that was unsuccessful. Then i tried 5 pin to PS2 to USB adapters for keyboards and that did not work either. SO I recently bought an internal 2 port USB adapter that mounts to the back plain and plugs into the motherboard at the rear of the case. Still would not work. As I was removing the hard drive and replacing with the CF disk, I was able to get to the BOIS using the USB keyboard to adjust settings, but once the OS loaded the keyboard was dead. Then I stumbled across a BOIS setting for USB keyboard support. In the forum and on Sonido we are directed to keep this setting disabled in the BOIS. SO i enabled it and to my surprise, my USB keyboard has come to life in my d8b. And i am using a MAC USB keyboard because of how slim they are. Here is the process on how to do it. I will post pictures as soon as i figure how to do that in the forum.

1. Purchase a 1 - 2 port internal USB adapter, (NOT A PCI CARD) with a 9 pin internal connector on it. (10 Pin but pin 10 is blocked).
2. Remove slot cover in empty space in the cpu case and mount the USB adapter.
3. Plug the connector into the port on the motherboard which is located between PCI slots 4 and 5, (from the left edge facing the front of the cpu) toward the back of the motherboard

4. Boot into BOIS and go to "Integrated Peripherals" choice on the right side of the screen at the top.

5. On the left hand side of the page down the bottom change the "USB Keyboard Support" from disabled to enabled

6. Save settings and exit
7. Once the d8b boots into the OS, you should have a working USB keyboard.
Last edited by RJH_MUSIC on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: USB Keyboard Support Solved!

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:57 pm

oops! I did not post the pictures correctly. I guess i am supposed to upload as thumbnails.
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Okay here goes third try. Shrunk pictures down.

USB 2 Port.jpg
USB 2 Port.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2565 times

Mounted.jpg
Mounted.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2565 times

[
    attachment=2]Bios 1.jpg[/attachment]
    Bios 2.jpg
    Bios 2.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2565 times

Keyboard.jpg
    Keyboard.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2565 times
    Attachments
    Bios 1.jpg
    Bios 1.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2565 times
    RJH_MUSIC
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Amazing!
    I actually thought I tried that some time ago, and came to the conclusion it didn't work :oops:
    Guess I didn't test at thoroughly as I thought.... :-)

Anyways, I can now confirm it works on the HDR too.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get a usb mouse working - on that we probably still need to use ps2
    arjepsen
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Postby funk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:15 am

Well done Rj?
    Great bit of detective work, im sure that will come in very handy.
    cheers
    Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
    "Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
    funk

Postby phantomrage » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 am

I use a usb, led mouse with the ps2 adapter. It's odd, some work some don't. Just have to try a few.
    phantomrage

Postby funk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:51 am

phantomrage wrote:I use a usb, led mouse with the ps2 adapter. It's odd, some work some don't. Just have to try a few.

yep 1 of my ps2 mouse is led, and works great with the normal 5 pin adapter.
    Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
    "Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
    funk

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:49 am

Life in the d8b world is good!

Off to the Pub!
    Bruce Graham
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 pm

Well done !
    DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
    captainamerica
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for the support. Glad i could make lives a little happier with the d8b.
    RJH_MUSIC
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum