Change font size   Print view

Combining tracks?

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Combining tracks?

Postby arjepsen » Sun May 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Hey.
Is it possible to combine two tracks into one on the HDR?
Or do I have to route it through my d8b and record a new track?
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Combining tracks?

Postby Old School » Wed May 10, 2017 1:03 am

Hi,
No, you have to run them through the D8B (assigned to a bus and assigning the bus to a track is a good method).

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed May 10, 2017 1:12 am

Hey guys;

I was going to pipe in and say something along the lines of what Mike said, but, I recall trying to assign 2 input sources to the same buss (1-24), that I could never do that. I could assign 2 input sources via Alt Buss 1-8, but then what do I do to get them to my HDR? I would have to bring that buss back into an input in the analogue world then assign to Buss 1 to 24.

If there is another way to do this I'm all ears!!

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Wed May 10, 2017 2:01 am

Hi Bruce,
You can assign the buss directly to a track on the HDR, feeding the buss from any combination of channels in(25-48) from the HDR. Unless I'm having a senior moment.

God Bless,
Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed May 10, 2017 6:09 am

Hey Mike;

I will check this out!

If it works, than I wish we could assign more than a single input channel (1-24) to the same track.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Thanks for the help guys!
I used Mikes suggestion; Routed the tracks to a bus, and the bus to the tape out track.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Thu May 11, 2017 3:19 am

Hi Guys,
Glad it worked for you Arjepsen. By the way, Bruce, I'm thinking you can assign 2 (or more) inputs from 1-24 to a buss,...BUT, the busses on the D8B are not independent, but act like stereo pairs, so if you have input track one panned hard left and you assign it to buss 2, it will not be heard on buss 2, i.e Buss one and two are a stereo pair and so on. Leave your inputs panned to center and you should hear them (and thus be able to record them) on any of the busses you assign them to. Well, I hope this is all as clear as mud. I had a head injury at work, (fell about 10 feet onto the hard concrete, landing on my lower back while simultaneously hitting my head on the side of a cast iron machine tool base. So I haven't felt like going to the studio and checking this out so the information I'm providing is all from memory which is a little fuzzy at the moment.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu May 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi Mike;

Sorry for your troubles! I hope your recovery is quick and full. In my prayers man!

I know the original question was assigning more than 1 tape return to a track. This, I call, bouncing tracks, and I haven't tried that just yet. I will as soon as I can. Hopefully this works.

I know I can assign an input to a track, say input 1 (panned centre or left, but not right) to track 1, but I can not assign inputs 1 & 2 to track 1. I want to do this to conserve tracks. An example would be taking a stereo source I wish to combine to mono and record on 1 track, or 3 or 4 audience mics and record them to 1 track. I quite regularly have 12 audience mics that require 12 tracks. I wish to take the 12 mics and record them onto 2 tracks as a stereo pair without an addition outboard console. I do not think I can do this! Here is what I have found!

I have 2 inputs connected to my d8b on Mic inputs 1 & 2. I assign input 1 to track 1. As I assign the second input to track 1, Input 1's assignment to track 1, disengages. The software will only allow me to assign 1 source to 1 track.

I also know that the software will allow me to assign more than 1 input, or track to the group outputs which become the surround output on the back of the console. This is, of course, analogue. This can be brought back into the console as a source on fader bank 1-24 and assigned to 1 track, thus accomplishing what I want, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to assign more than 1 input (Mic/Line) to 1 track? It can be done to the group outputs, why not the Mic/Line sources?

I can work with the design of things but if anyone knows how to do what I have described above.... let me know.

Mike... sorry for "muding" things up even more, if I did.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Thu May 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Wow Mike - you have skills!
Landing on you back AND hitting your head on a box? ;)

Ok, seriously I hope you're ok! Praying for your recovery.

Regards.
Anders
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders