Change font size   Print view

Lost Transport

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Re: Lost Transport

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Hello All
I was able to solve some of my D8B/HDR interface troubles but still have a few outstanding issues that some of you may have experience with and can help.
1- The HRD will not record. Tracks are armed but it will not record. When connected to the D8B it can Arm the tracks and the D8B Transport buttons, including Record, light up. I can enter Locate points and the HDR goes to those points.
2- The HDR front panel REW- FF - Stop - Play - Record buttons do not light up. They all function as they should, except Record, but the LED's above all the buttons do not come on.
3- The Jog/Shuttle on the D8B does not function.

There may be others but this is as far as I have gotten.

I checked the MIDI Monitor in the D8B and MIDI code is displayed when transport commands are issued

Thanks in advance for any help!
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Triple check your sample rate settings both in the d8b and the HDR.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:26 am

Thanks, I'll give it a second, then 3rd look. I'm using the D8B as the Master Clock.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:35 pm

More info that may help you to help me.

Prior to rechecking my sample rates I thought I would remove all sample rate setting requirements and go analog.

I took out my AES (PDI-8) cards and installed Analog (AIO) cards and connected the HDR to the D8B in the analog domain (goood old DB25 to TRS). I set the HDR to 44.1 Internal, 16 Bit Depth, no Word or Video Ref sync.

Here is what I observed.

The Transport Controls on the HDR work, except Record, but do not light up. This was as before.

The sample Audio, that was on the HDR when I bought it, is making very strange sounds. Tracks, 1, 3 & 4 sound fine. All other tracks, that have Audio recorded them, have the instrument plus dihter, or clock jitter, or wrong sample rate, a "ticking" included with the audio.

Also tracks that have nothing recorded on them (according to the LSD Display connected to the HDR) have the same ticking noise with no audio.

Looking further, there is in fact this ticking noise prior to audio and many of the tracks.

I changed Sample Rate to 48K and alternated between 16 and 24 Bit depth with no change. As I would expect (can't change what's already recorded).

I re-enstalled the AES cards, connected things up again, check sample rates ets. and there is no difference between AES cards and Analog cards. Track 1, 3 & 4 sound fine, all the other have the audio plus the "Ticking noise".

Beginning to think there is a fault in the HDR!

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:39 am

I have checked the HDR into my local Hospital for a Physical and perhaps, if required, surgery.

Get well cards can be sent to this forum. I will kepp all posted as to the results and next steps.

It is sad as I hadn't even done anything with the machine yet. One of the trials of cross boarder shopping.

Regards, with a tear in my eye.

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Hey all;

Not new to the d8b world, but here i am again at this post I did back 2012.

I never did get that issue solved. I sent the HDR back and had to purchase a different machine that fortunately did not have that issue but had different ones, which got solved.

Now this new machine is having the similar issues with the Transport controls and I can not solve it, plus other issues that may have been present with the old machine but I was "NEW" then.

All was working 2 weeks ago then, with a client sitting beside me wanting to do a remix, I had the following troubles....

- FF, Rew, Play & Record controls from d8b not working. Arming tracks works.
- FF, Rew and Record not working from HDR. Play works, but once engaged none of the transport controls work, including Stop. The only way to stop things is to Power Off the HDR.
- No Word Clock output. HDR is Master but d8b not receiving Word Clock.
- HDR on boot up, has (but not all the time) locked up at "Audio Engine Started" screen. Most times it works it way though and looks completely normal but... Isn't.
- I cannot reinstall the OS as it appears ALL my floppies have issues and errors. This could be that they are "past their prime" or it could be my Windows XP & Windows 7 machines will not do the task, or my Floppy drive may be defective. All disk format but will not load extracted files (d8b 5.1 or HDR 1.4).

Battery has been replaced. BIOS in both the d8b and HDR are correct. Setup is as before

I haven't completely disconnected and reconnected every ribbon cable and card in the HDR yet.

I may go the route of the Floppy Emulator but prior to spending more cash I thought I would but this out there first and see if there is something I have overlooked.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

If anyone has working floppies that they can make copies of an send them to me (I will reimburse postage), that could also be helpful. PM me and I'll send a mailing address.

Thanks and Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun May 07, 2017 4:49 am

Hi all;

Thanks to some great advice, my HDR is up and working.

I dot floppies from Pat and re-installed the OS but that made no difference.

Not sure which of the 376 things I did (really it was about 20 just felt like 376), but my HDR came back to life.

What I can say is it was a connection. Not sure if it was the MIDI or LAN card, or BIOS chip or one of the many ribbon connectors I re-seated, but it works.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders