Change font size   Print view

How to controll 2 x SDR at same time?

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

How to controll 2 x SDR at same time?

Postby topdiggy2 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Keywords: Linking, Cascading, remote control, multiple controls

Hello:

I recently got rid of my dual D8B setup. It was fun and i loved the d8bs. However, time to grow up and move to better analogue console. And trying to find another board that offers the routing capabilities and DAW friendly has been tough.

I want to use 2 x SDRs to track (up to 48 inputs) during cutting sessions. However, I am unsure how to link or cascade both units together so that i can trigger both together. Any ideas?

Thanks
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: How to controll 2 x SDR at same time?

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Hey;

Check pages 18 & 19 of the SDR Operation Manual.

It explains how to have one SDR "output" SMPTE (called the Time Code Master), and a second SDR chase that SMPTE Time Code (called the Time Code Slave).

I believe that should do the trick.

Post back with results.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby topdiggy2 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:28 pm

Bruce -

Yeah, i read that and that section just gets them on the same time code, for syncing (unless im missing something). But what i am trying to do is be able to trigger transport controls, loop points, arm/disarm recording on certain tracks, etc. without having to slide to the rack to for every retake. Being that I can not find a actual mackie Remote 48, i am trying to figure out a solution to maybe program my own.

There should be a way to program a remote control with either a DAW (im using Studio One 3) or a midi controller that supports MMC control.

I saw on ebay, there are some older Tascam D88 remote controls that support 48 tracks, not sure if they will work or not.

Anyone with any ideas?
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:54 am

Hi Topdiggy2;

Good luck with that. I was trying to do the same thing a while back. I had a Tascam remote, but ran into difficulty with it so I recycled it. There is a few posts in here regarding remotes.

I have see the Remote 48 on ebay from time to time.

Best of luck.

bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders