Change font size   Print view

Questions about Pro Box

Discussion board for ProBox users

Questions about Pro Box

Postby rickd423 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:31 pm

I have been searching the net....I used to have a D8B many many years ago, and after seeing that with pro box you can use all 24 faders I am thinking about buying one again but have a couple of questions.....

1. if I buy the d8b & probox how does it connect to each other, and also how does it connect to the computer.

2. In order to use the probox does the d8b have to have a certain mackie software version

3. does it work properly with pro tools

4. can I control plugins from the d8b (for example I have a 002 board right now and I can use the knobs to adjust the plugin values for plugins that I use inside of pro tools.

thanks in advance...
rickd423

Re: Questions about Pro Box

Postby munkustrap » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:40 pm

rickd423 wrote:I have been searching the net....I used to have a D8B many many years ago, and after seeing that with pro box you can use all 24 faders I am thinking about buying one again but have a couple of questions.....

1. if I buy the d8b & probox how does it connect to each other, and also how does it connect to the computer.

2. In order to use the probox does the d8b have to have a certain mackie software version

3. does it work properly with pro tools

4. can I control plugins from the d8b (for example I have a 002 board right now and I can use the knobs to adjust the plugin values for plugins that I use inside of pro tools.

thanks in advance...

Hi, to answer your questions
1. the probox is connected to the d8b console with the subD 25 pol cable. Probox is connected to the DAW Computer via USB. The Mackie CPU is only for powering.

2. the probox is stand alone, you do not Need any mackie Software if you use it as a pure Controller. If you want to use the Audio channels of the d8b you have to Switche between Mackie CPU and probox. This is not proposed solution.

3.Yes it works with protools. you have to configure 3x HUI in Protools and config the probox in the setup to HUI protocol.

4.Yes it is possible, but in fact I personally do not comfortable with that. It is very complicated (as there are 3 HUI not one) So the plugin buttons and VPots are shared over the 3x8 Groups. I'm faster by Controlling it on the Screen with a mouse (plugin Setup and so on).

you can find the probox Manual here
www.probox-controller.com

hope that answers your questions.
best regards
Munk
munkustrap

Postby system32 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Forgot to show some software that I wrote a couple years back, called d8b universal extender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AbMkmd-evw

I never really released it due to fact that GUI configuration for the end user needed to be improved, but it still works in my basement.
system32

Postby Tartracks » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:18 pm

Forgot to show some software that I wrote a couple years back, called d8b universal extender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AbMkmd-evw

I never really released it due to fact that GUI configuration for the end user needed to be improved, but it still works in my basement.

That looks pretty cool. How did you connect 2 d8b's like that with only 1 master section?
Tartracks

Postby munkustrap » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:48 am

thats easy, as you do not Need to implement the master section :-) only initialisation must be for 3x XT.

best regards
munkustrap

Compatibility

Postby MPCbanger » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Will ProBox work with Cubase 9 on Windows 10?
MPCbanger

Postby munkustrap » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:14 pm

yes works fine, I use exactly this setup in my studio.

best regards
munkustrap

Postby Pruhtray » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 am

Can you still use the gate, compressor and eq with the Probox?
Pruhtray

Postby Pruhtray » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 am

Can you still use the gate, compressor and eq with the Probox?
Pruhtray

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Q: "Can you still use the gate, compressor and eq with the Probox?"

A: No. At least not the D8B's built-in dynamics/eq while operating the D8B in ProBox mode (you can use the dynamics/eq plug-ins that come with your DAW, though, and can to some extent control them via the D8B).

In ProBox mode, the D8B acts like 3 HUI controllers put together (or like 1 Mackie Control Universal and 2 Extenders). The D8B does exactly what these other control surfaces do when working in Probox mode. Nothing less, nothing more (...well... you do get to use the monitoring section on the D8B, still, because that part works like an analog mixer - HUI or Mackie Control surfaces do not have a monitoring section, so that's an "extra" feature that these other control surfaces don't have).

If your D8B boots up fully and works as a mixer by itself, then it's possible to add an external DB25 "serial switch-box", to allow the D8B to be used as a mixer, and with a flick of that switch as a control surface in ProBox mode - without disconnecting/reconnecting any wires.

It's possible to boot a D8B in mixer mode first, set all the levels and EQ/dynamics the way you want, and then switch over to Control Surface mode with such an external DB25-Serial-Switch. This way, the D8B keeps passing audio signals as a mixer, while you can use it as a Control Surface.

It has to be said, though, that it wasn't really designed to be used like this - (i.e. as a mixer AND a 25-fader control surface at the same time) - it's more of a hack/workaround. The result is, that some channels sometimes change their fader levels when switching, and it can sometimes take a few attempts, switching back and forth until the levels stay where they are.

Also, the meters might get stuck when switching from one mode to another via that external DB25 switch, when trying to use the D8B as a mixer AND with a ProBox at the same time. But overall it works for simultaneous mixer/probox operation, when adding such an external DB25 switchbox.

If you have a D8B that DOES NOT currently work as mixer (e.g. Error 43), then a Probox will allow you to use it as a control surface - and when using it just like that, the Probox is awesome! (But obviously, it then only works as a control surface, and not like a mixer with built-in FX).

But the Dynamics/EQ, etc. are part of the D8B's "mixer" functionality. So, that functionality doesn't come back when adding a Probox to an otherwise "dead" (or not bootable) D8B.

...basically, the short answer is "no", but if your D8B still boots as a mixer, you have some options.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to ProBox