Change font size   Print view

Faders 1-16 stuck in the infi position

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Faders 1-16 stuck in the infi position

Postby Casey_Pittman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:26 pm

sverred wrote::o

Shit, I was waiting for a "It was easy, everything worked out well" reply... Did you talk to mr. macleod about this?

No, I haven't but, I imagine the best route to take would have been to order the chip, de-solder the 3 faders around the bad one & then take it to an actual tech that has experience with smd chip removal and explain that it appears to be glued down. The heat gun that they use for removal of SMD chips might produce enough heat to release it from the glue. This is all just speculation of course.

Sorry for the unexpected responce :D

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:40 pm

I doubt whether the chip is glued down since those boards are assembled by a machine. Also, I've never heard of chips being glued down. I've used thermal paste to hold one in place for soldering purposes but that's not glue. More likely, in the chip frying, it has fused to the board.
If you check one of the other boards, you can decipher where the trace that has lifted goes and bridge it under the board with a fine gauge, sleeved wire (drilling required) so that the new chip can sit flush. Many ways to skin a cat :)

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby sverred » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:01 am

Hey!

I will update you all on how this goes. I also thought it sounded a bit strange that they were glued, but as I haven't tried it myself I cannot say for sure. I will dismantle one today, just to see...

Anyway, I just heard the price for a new fader board, and it is ridiculous! And I need two... haha
sverred
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:11 pm

like i said just speculation but i do know that i could not remove the chip without ripping the trace up. But maybe overtime and heating up it had fused with the solder mask of the trace in question, again just speculation. I'll take another look at the board and see if i can mount a wire.

-Casey

P.S. sverred, good luck. And your right the prices I've been quoted for a fader board are a bit ridiculous. I know the parts are hard to come by but come on!
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sverred » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 am

Update...

Well, I finally got those chips from china, and tried to do this procedure. It became obvious that this is not a job for the amatour, and it is critical that you have more than a litle experiance with fine electronics.

First of all you will have to remove the fader over the chip, which isn't really the hardest nut to crack, and most people into soldering have equippement suitable for it. But still, as it is connected seven places, it can be a bit of a challenge.

Then, when the chip is available, it's time to remove the chip. This is NOT easy, and shouldn't be done without the right equippement, and the nessesary experiance! It is very likely that you will rip the tiny metal connections in the chip out of the faderboard itself, and then it's no way back. Putting the new chip back onto the board was easier though. No soldering iron needed.

I did, and now only some of the faders work...

My suggestion is as follows (if you are not qualified for this operation yourself!)

Buy the correct chip. Remove the faderboard from you console and ask a pro to do it for you.

The good news: This is the solution to the problem, and the chips are very cheap!
sverred
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby studiodaz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Hello all its been some time since I have been to the mackie website and it seems everyone is now over here, so this is my first post here.

My faders are sticking and jumping when switching layers but this is only happening on fader 8 and fader 23.
Is this a problem with the AD8803 chip on the first fader card? My card has a AD8803A chip and look different to some of the pics I have seen. Is it AD8804 for the third fader card?

I was thinking about trying this fix but not 100% sure if I should.

Sverred, did you say after you desolder out the old chip you don't need to solder the new one when replacing it ????

What did you do?

Heres some pics of my faders card ( 1-8 ) It looks like this is a 1997 parts/model D8B.
AD8803A.jpg
AD8803A chip on fader bank 1-8
AD8803A.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2359 times

back.jpg
Back of fader bank 1-8
back.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2359 times

front.jpg
Front of fader bank 1-8
front.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2359 times
..............................................D8B is good for me.................( when its working :-) ).....................
studiodaz

Postby sverred » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Hey studiodaz

1. I Don't think your problem is assosiated with the AD8803 chip. The symptoms are more like all the faders 1-8 or 9-16 or all at the same time gets stuck in either the up or down position.

2. Yes the last 9 faders use the AD8804 chip

3. When you desolder, it will leave just about enough left for you to only heat and place the tiny bones of the new chip. It was actually not that hard.

4. DON'T DO THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE EXPERIANCE WITH THIS KIND OF ELECTRONICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sverred
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby studiodaz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you think its just shot faders (8 & 23) and if so where would be the best place to get 2 replacements?
..............................................D8B is good for me.................( when its working :-) ).....................
studiodaz

Postby sverred » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:15 am

I am no expert, but I guess the knowledgebase have something on that...

Someone will probably announce the ribbon-cable-procedure anytime soon...hehe.

When/if you solve your problem, please let us all know how you did it. We all depend on eachother now!
sverred
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:45 am

To establish whether or not it's the physical faders or not, why don't you swap fader 8 with 7 and 23 with 24? That's pretty easy (if you have the soldering skills). At least it's a start.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum