Change font size   Print view

Probox problem

Discussion board for ProBox users

Probox problem

Postby kaczorumie » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:25 pm

Hi! I have a problem with pairing Probox with Fl studio. And I can't get it to run properly. It works, but the buttons that are labeled on Mackie do something else in the program. Can someone please help me with this. I will just add that I made a probox myself and the computer detects it normally
(Sorry for my spelling but I can't write English well)
kaczorumie

Re: Probox problem

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:21 am

That the button labels on the D8B do not match the function it executes, when operating the D8B via a ProBox, is NORMAL and expected (more on that further below).

Did you look here, already?
http://probox.weritz.com/index.php?dir=FL-studio%2F

A quick word on what the ProBox is/does, and why the buttons are not labeled "correctly" when using the D8B with a ProBox:

The D8B is a digital mixer, that was originally designed to have it's buttons/knobs/faders etc. ONLY control what's going on on the inside of the mixer. And that's what the buttons/knobs/faders, etc. are labeled for. (An option to use 8 of the faders as a control surface was added in a later OS version... there's no labels for that on the hardware, though).

However, Mackie also made/make a few control surfaces called "Mackie Control" and another one called "HUI" (I think that's for "Human User Interface").
The data these control surfaces generate, is SIMILAR (but not the same) to the data the D8B generates, when controlling the mixer components on the inside.

The ProBox is hardware, that listens to the data the D8B buttons/faders/knobs, etc. generate when using them, and TRANSLATES that data and sends it over USB, so that a connected computer will think that there's a Mackie Control Universal unit, with 2 Extenders connected to your computer.
(Or with an alternative setting, 3 HUI units... but if the software supports it, you're usually better of with the Mackie Control setting, or you won't get a master fader).

So, the ProBox translates one thing (what the labels on the D8B say) to another thing (what your DAW expects to come in from a Mackie Control or HUI) - and that' why the labels don't match.

Looking at the link I shared above, it appears that Fruity Loops needs to have some scripts running to properly support the ProBox. I don't use that software (I'm not into Hip-Hop and personally don't get along with the workflow in FL Studio... but to each their own, of course), so I don't know why exactly that's needed... but I'd guess that FL doesn't directly support Mackie Control or HUI mode?

But once you have it generally working (as you said you do), I don't know if a mapping table that lists all the functions the D8B sends via the ProBox is available for Fruity Loops.
These maps exist for other DAWs like Logic and Cubase, etc., though (somewhere in the documentation Ralph has created for the ProBox).
If you're using your D8B primarily (or only) with the ProBox, then it would make sense to put label stickers over what it currently says on your D8B. I did something like that some years ago for Logic, which you can see in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2391#p17629

...but even if such a list doesn't exist for FL, it should just take an hour or so, to push each button, see what it does, make a label and stick it under the right control on the D8B... that's what I'd do :)

Best of luck with finding a way to sorting out what each button does, easily! ;)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to ProBox