Change font size   Print view

Faders in each midi bank move at the same time

Discussion board for ProBox users

Faders in each midi bank move at the same time

Postby kderector » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:27 pm

HI All,

I am new to the probox, and I have having an interesting issue. I have tried using Sonar, ProTools, 2 different PCs, but for some reason if I move fader 1, 9 and 18 move together.

I have tried using HUI mode, as well as Mackie. I have tried moving around the midi ports to different surface control sections.

I am at a total loss, and I am sure it is something really stupid.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ken
kderector

Re: Faders in each midi bank move at the same time

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:40 pm

The details are in the ProBox manual, but what you're describing sounds like you have the same MIDI port selected repeatedly.

The ProBox shows up as 4 MIDI I/O ports on your computer (something like "MCU Port 1", "MCU Port 2", "MCU Port 3" and "MCU Port 4" but I'm not sure about the exact name right now, as I'm away from the desk).

I'm listing them in reverse order, I think it's less confusing:

Port 4: That's for the Master Fader (MCU only - the HUI protocol doesn't use a Master Fader), and also for the last bank of 8 Faders on the right (17-24).

Port 3: That's for the middle set of 8 Faders, from 9-16.

Port 2: That's for the left set of 8 Faders, from 1-8.

Port 1: DO NOT USE. The ProBox needs that one for internal communication.

Different DAWs require different setup steps to make this work together correctly. Like, in Logic or Studio One, it matters how you arrange the visual representations of the "MCU" and "MCU Extenders", and you have to arrange them to be from left to right in "1-8, 9-16, 17-24/Master" order.

I haven't looked at Sonar, Cubase or Pro Tools etc. in a while. I don't think they do it this way. But ProBox ports 2, 3 and 4 need some sort of counterpart in your DAW. Each of these "counterparts" in your DAW needs to have a UNIQUE ProBox port selected. So, no port that is used for one of the 3 sections on the d8b/ProBox, should be used on any of the others (your problem description sounds like you DID select the same port for all 3 of the d8b's sections).

Basically, the setup is identical to how it would be if you were using an actual "Mackie Control Universal" unit, and two "Mackie Control Extenders" - you just have to ignore "Port 1" for the ProBox.
The general setup isn't really unique to the d8b/ProBox. It's a standard controller setup... you just got to make sure to select the right ports, and not repeatedly select the same one.

Maybe some DAWs might require you to have 24 tracks created, for the 3 8-channel fader banks to have something unique to control, so I'd try that if it still doesn't work.

Also make sure the ProBox/d8b is set to the right protocol (e.g. MCU or HUI), but that's also covered in the manual.

Good luck.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Faders in each midi bank move at the same time

Postby kderector » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Thank you,

It was the offsets that threw me off. Now it works great!

Thank you.
Ken
kderector

Return to ProBox