Change font size   Print view

psu for the console

Discussion board for ProBox users

psu for the console

Postby arjepsen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Hey.
I'm considering making a seperate power supply for the console, a bit like Munkustrap has described in his documents.
However, I'm curious:

1)
Wouldn't it be possible to use a regular pc power supply for the 12 and 5 volt lines?
that would save me of buying those two, so I'd only have to get the +/-16v one (I have plenty of unused pc psu's lying around...)

2)
Munkustrap also describes having to connect the mgnd and jgnd connectors inside the console.
I was thinking about buying a seperate BF connector, so I woulnd't have to mess with the inside of the console - and I'd still be able to use the console as a regular d8b.
Are those two ground connetors connected to pins on the BFConnector? (if they arent connected normally, I presume it would be possible to manage it otherwise?)
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: psu for the console

Postby munkustrap » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi

a Computer power supply normally is not much cheaper as a 12V and 5V supply.
On ATX supplies you should be careful because they usually need a Minimum load. It could be that the
d8b doesnt require enough power, especially on the 5V part. Here the ATX supply may have too less power for the d8b as usually the 3,3V Domain is the most power consuming on ATX.

the Bridge between MGND and DGND is done by mackie in the CPU. If you do it in the console as I proposed, then you can Keep that for normal d8b use, it improves a Little bit. No Need to remove for normal operations.
munkustrap

Postby arjepsen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:21 pm

revisiting an old thread...

I've gotten my hands on a 5v, 12v and +/-16v psu's in an effort to make a seperate psu unit for the d8b.

However, there also seems to be a 48v pin, that doesn't seem to be covered in Munkustraps docs.
Is this because that isn't used with the probox setup??

I assume, if I want regular functionality available from my d8b, i'd need to get a 48v psu also?
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi

yes, the 48V is not needed if you use the d8b as a pure Controller with Monitoring Option.
the 48V is only for powering condenser microphones.
BR
munkustrap

Return to ProBox