Change font size   Print view

probox and cubase 8

Discussion board for ProBox users

probox and cubase 8

Postby hjwinge » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi forum: I may be overlooking something, but, on my D8B with probox, version .17, there is no way to use the assign and write button on each channel. Since Cubase for some reason do not remember the generic remote settings I have created for these buttons (I want monitor on assign and read/write automation on write button, is there a way for the probox to implement these buttons to a function in an update or a setting? Included is a picture of the proboxsetup as on my d8b. hj
Attachments
mackie-d8b-digital-8-bus-401228.jpg
mackie-d8b-digital-8-bus-401228.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2331 times
hjwinge

Re: probox and cubase 8

Postby munkustrap » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi
lets bring up some light in this function.

basically the MCU has not such Buttons, exept in the channel Strip area (so only for the selected channel)
so it is not possibel to add this function 1:1. What can be done, and what Marc did with his d8bridge is the following

when you press one of These two Buttons on a channel, then this channel is selected and afterwards the dedicated command is send, to enable this Feature. But the Problem is the following: Ist not possible to add this Feature with LED Support (Led lites up), as this function will not be in syc with the DAW.
example:
you press "write" on channel 4. So channel 4 will be selected, and the write is enabled. additional the LED lite up Signal is returned by daw (note that this is a General lite up command and not a dedicated to channel 4). As we know on the d8b that channel 4 is selected, we know which LED has to be turned on --> everything is fine. BUT if we now press write on channel 20 on the Screen, not on the d8b, no Signal for LEDs will be sent by daw, as channel twenty is not selected.

to say it easy:
button commands for read/write are able to be implemented, but LED switching will end up in a mess if you start tu use also the Screen for that, or if you start using BANK/CHANNEL swiitching.

At the Moment the probox has These 48 Buttons available on MCUPort 0 as a generic Controller. You can use that and program that in cubase, but it will be fixed to the first 24 channels !!!
munkustrap

Postby hjwinge » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:16 pm

I think I understand the physical button limitations of the MCU/d8b. Interrestingly, before I owned the D8B I used a yamaha AW4416 as a generic controller with cubase without trouble, but Cubase do not want to remember my setup for the generic remote anymore (for the d8b). So even I assign a generic remote function in cubase for those buttons on the d8b, all settings will be gone on the next cubase reboot. I do think I have read somewhere in the cubase forum, theres a problem with the generic remote on cubase/mac, although I didnt have any problems before. (I use cubase 8 pro,on mac 10.10)
hjwinge

Postby munkustrap » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:41 am

Hi

have you done only the generic configuration or have you "exported" it as XML file (in cubase)

cubase will loose the generic Controller Setup if you do not Export it !!!
munkustrap

Postby munkustrap » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:45 am

regarding the write/read function, it is not a pysical Limitation.

the Problem is the matching to the MCU Emulation. With the MCUs/probox you can travel with 24 channels over your project tracks (e.g. d8b 1-24 == cubase 1-24, or d8b 1-24 == cubase 3-27, .....)

for the generic control it is not possible to "match" the channel numbers to the MCU assigment.
munkustrap

Return to ProBox