Change font size   Print view

Probox and DAW Software

Discussion board for ProBox users

Probox and DAW Software

Postby munkustrap » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:54 pm

For using the probox with your daw please check these documents:
The probox emulates a mackie MCU and two XTs.
All that is possible with one MackieMCU and two XTs should be possible with the Probox and the d8b.

http://www.mackie.com/products/mcupro/m ... tware.html
munkustrap

Re: Probox and DAW Software

Postby ibdigital » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Munk,

I'm using Logic Pro X with Sectional DB-Linear meter scaling. It appears that the metering that is displayed on the d8b via probox is exponential. Is there a way to switch the metering type? Could this be accomplished in a firmware update? This would be a little more useful for the way I work. Another question is should I set the fader step resolution in Logic to 1024 steps?

BTW my two d8b's with probox are working great in parallel. Probox definitely changed the way I work. I'm excited every time I walk into my studio.

Thanks Ralph!
ibdigital

Postby bitSync » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:51 pm

ibdigital wrote:BTW my two d8b's with probox are working great in parallel. Probox definitely changed the way I work. I'm excited every time I walk into my studio.

Could you please elaborate a bit? How are you configured? Two ProBox units? Does the bank switching work across the two surfaces? Is it two instances of (1) MCU and (2) XT's? Anxious to hear some more about your setup. Thanks!
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ibdigital » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Bitsync,

Fader bank switching does indeed work across both units in groups of 48 faders. Logic has them all configured in a single mix group with two (2) MCU master sections and four (4) XT units. I believe the second Probox had to be programmed with a different device ID by Ralph in order for this configuration to work but it is beautiful :)
I don't want to be greedy but I did want to ask Ralph or someone on the forum here if anyone considered designing a surface overlay template for the d8b (similar to the Mackie Control overlays). I'm starting to memorize the button functions in the master section however, it would be great if they were all labeled according to the probox functions.
ibdigital

Postby bitSync » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:30 pm

ibdigital wrote:Bitsync,

Fader bank switching does indeed work across both units in groups of 48 faders. Logic has them all configured in a single mix group with two (2) MCU master sections and four (4) XT units. I believe the second Probox had to be programmed with a different device ID by Ralph in order for this configuration to work but it is beautiful :)
I don't want to be greedy but I did want to ask Ralph or someone on the forum here if anyone considered designing a surface overlay template for the d8b (similar to the Mackie Control overlays). I'm starting to memorize the button functions in the master section however, it would be great if they were all labeled according to the probox functions.

This is awesome news. I think the second d8b may have to come out of storage! :) Cool idea about the overlays.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:26 am

ibdigital wrote:Munk,

I'm using Logic Pro X with Sectional DB-Linear meter scaling. It appears that the metering that is displayed on the d8b via probox is exponential. Is there a way to switch the metering type? Could this be accomplished in a firmware update? This would be a little more useful for the way I work. Another question is should I set the fader step resolution in Logic to 1024 steps?

BTW my two d8b's with probox are working great in parallel. Probox definitely changed the way I work. I'm excited every time I walk into my studio.

Thanks Ralph!

Hi

Sorry For the late reply .
The true fader resolution is 256. It is scaled up to the Mackie resolution.
You can try the 1024 setting.

Regarding the meters i cannot do anything, as the meter has 12 steps
And the protocol sends 12 different values. If i do not match 1:1
You will loose the 12 steps resolution.
munkustrap

Postby munkustrap » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:29 am

bitSync wrote:
ibdigital wrote:Bitsync,

This is awesome news. I think the second d8b may have to come out of storage! :) Cool idea about the overlays.

Yes that would be cool. But i do not have time at the moment ( HUI)
Maybe later, but i also have seen that there is a need to rewrite
The button names.
munkustrap

Postby topdiggy2 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:47 pm

@ Ibdigital

Okay, so just so I'm clear, to run your dual D8b setup, you need to run 2x ProBox's?
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ibdigital » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:44 am

Yes. You need 2 Probox devices. If you are using Logic all you need to do is scan and install. Logic will automatically install two MCU Master sections and four XT units. You just need to make sure that they are all in the same mix group in order for them to act like one console.
ibdigital

Postby munkustrap » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:35 pm

hi ibdigital

this meter stuff is quit old now. was there any update on logic site to fix the bug ?
Does the switching from the exponential to the linear metermode also affects the Controller Messages or is the conroller still running in exponential meter mode independedn from the Settings for the mixer meters?

thanks for your reply
munkustrap

Next

Return to ProBox