Change font size   Print view

d8bridge working with AUDIO on the console!!

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

Re: d8bridge working with AUDIO on the console!!

Postby elperroromel » Tue May 14, 2013 5:33 am

bitSync wrote:Could I encourage you to think in terms of a user-configurable number of emulated XT modules (more than 2), as is allowed by the Mackie MCU/XT Pro? Those of us fortunate to have 2 d8bs could theoretically emulate 1 MCU and 5 XTs for a total of 48 concurrent tracks of MCP control.

well i think is not too hard, maybe it could be achieved by executing 2 instances or the programs using different ports,
for now I will try to fully implement the first MCU unit, then the extenders,I still didn't have researched about the vu meters messages, neither the lcd messages or other functions, I'm focused more on make the channels section(fader/mute/select/solo/REC) part

bitSync wrote:I'd describe to you what that thought does to me but it might get censored from the forum!! :shock:

lol
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Tue May 14, 2013 5:57 am

bitSync wrote:@elperroromel,
I have a question about the fader position d8b serial and MCP values. Are the faders themselves producing native d8b serial messages with values in the range 2^10 - 1, or something smaller, like 2^8 - 1 or 2^7 - 1? I presume the MCP fader messages going out to the DAW software are in the range 2^10 - 1 to be in spec with the MCP? Thanks!

well the d8b desk sends the faders values in 8 bits (max 255) something like "XXXXf" where the first two bytes is the channel and the last 2 bytes the value I made some bit shifts to make this value the high byte of the MCP value and the low byte of the MCP message i set 0x7F or 0x00 depending of the lowest bit of the d8b fader value
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Wed May 15, 2013 6:17 pm

elperroromel wrote:
bitSync wrote:@elperroromel,
I have a question about the fader position d8b serial and MCP values. Are the faders themselves producing native d8b serial messages with values in the range 2^10 - 1, or something smaller, like 2^8 - 1 or 2^7 - 1? I presume the MCP fader messages going out to the DAW software are in the range 2^10 - 1 to be in spec with the MCP? Thanks!

well the d8b desk sends the faders values in 8 bits (max 255) something like "XXXXf" where the first two bytes is the channel and the last 2 bytes the value I made some bit shifts to make this value the high byte of the MCP value and the low byte of the MCP message i set 0x7F or 0x00 depending of the lowest bit of the d8b fader value

OK, so the MCP version of the fader position you're transmitting transmits values in the range of 0x0000 to 0x03FF (actual numerical values, not MCP-encoded MIDI Data bytes) but instead of 1024 possible values, there are 256 possible values in increments of 4? I think the 0x7 in the MCP 0x7F lower order byte (MIDI Data1) is supposed to set the lowest 3 bits of the position value and the 0xF of the 0x7F is irrelevant? I guess d8bridge has to do something similar to get a 10 bit MCP fader value out of a 8 bit native d8b fader value. I suppose it is up to the DAW host software (in Sonar's case, the mackiecontrol.dll) to manage the non-continuity in fader position values (the jumps by 4 in adjacent fader positions)?

Thank you very much for any clarification you can provide here. I've been wondering for quite a while if the D8Bridge fader implementation was equivalent to the MCU fader implementation. Although I've never seen the MCU serial data, Mackie does advertise a 10 bit fader resolution on the MCU. I'm wondering if it's 1024 discrete steps in increments of 1 or if its 256 discrete steps in increments of 4? I'm also wondering if anybody can hear that difference or if the DAW software effectively averages those increments out? Thanks!
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Wed May 15, 2013 6:58 pm

bitSync wrote:
OK, so the MCP version of the fader position you're transmitting transmits values in the range of 0x0000 to 0x03FF (actual numerical values, not MCP-encoded MIDI Data bytes) but instead of 1024 possible values, there are 256 possible values in increments of 4? I think the 0x7 in the MCP 0x7F lower order byte (MIDI Data1) is supposed to set the lowest 3 bits of the position value and the 0xF of the 0x7F is irrelevant? I guess d8bridge has to do something similar to get a 10 bit MCP fader value out of a 8 bit native d8b fader value. I suppose it is up to the DAW host software (in Sonar's case, the mackiecontrol.dll) to manage the non-continuity in fader position values (the jumps by 4 in adjacent fader positions)?

yes it increments the values by 4, and I suppose the lowest nibble from the low byte of MCP value is irrelevant, maybe I could emulate the increments by 1, sending four MIDI messages for each d8b increment but maybe I would need to add a small delay or something,

bitSync wrote:Thank you very much for any clarification you can provide here. I've been wondering for quite a while if the D8Bridge fader implementation was equivalent to the MCU fader implementation. Although I've never seen the MCU serial data, Mackie does advertise a 10 bit fader resolution on the MCU. I'm wondering if it's 1024 discrete steps in increments of 1 or if its 256 discrete steps in increments of 4? I'm also wondering if anybody can hear that difference or if the DAW software effectively averages those increments out? Thanks!

too bad I just sold my MCU a week ago, now I can't see the data it sends, but I guess it was real 10 bit , I think maybe it wouldn't make a noticeable difference, and also, some DAWs have functions to "smooth" the faders movements
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Wed May 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Thank you! Very helpful and informative!!
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Wed May 15, 2013 7:51 pm

I uploaded 4 videos where I show the d8b working with Reaper, controlling all 24 faders, and moving all 24 physical faders from the DAW, and It detects the buttons MUTE,SOLO,REC,SELECT from all 24 channels and send to the DAW, I need it to work the inverse way (detect the buttons press from the DAW and send to the d8b ) and also send the d8b commands to turn on and off the respective LEDs .

elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby devinroy » Thu May 16, 2013 8:37 pm

oh crap dude, you are getting close.... i'm hoping we might see some audio running soon
devinroy

Postby Maloik » Fri May 17, 2013 6:50 am

RESPECT!!!

In two weeks....awesome!!
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Fri May 17, 2013 5:25 pm

well here is my week advance:

this week I made more like a fix in the programming design, at first there was an infinite loop in each program that kept polling the serials and midi ports for data received, but that consumes a lot of cpu, now I have implemented an "event" scheme where I make a thread for each port that "wait" for data in sleep mode, so It doesn't consume CPU while waiting for data, and It seems the programs and the messages run faster...

I implemented other buttons like the transport control, an wheel,zoom,scrub,and arrows, next i will implement the vpots,

I will upload a "TODO list" on some website online, so those interested can see the progress and/or suggest features,I promise to upload the cable diagram this weekend so anyone interested could try this, I will upload the code on an online code website soon
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Fri May 17, 2013 7:04 pm

well I made a project in Google Code and for now only edited a TODO list... soon I will post the code and some more things...

http://code.google.com/p/d8b-2-mcu/wiki/todolist
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to D8Bridge Forum