Change font size   Print view

D8bridge, Windows 8 X64 and Studio One V2.5

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

D8bridge, Windows 8 X64 and Studio One V2.5

Postby RustyNotes » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Hey everyone!

I've been looking for the perfect DAW controller for so long. I really wanted the C24, but I don't have around $7.000 to spend so i was looking for some other pieces. Found the MCU pro and thought that I've found the one.. until i found out about the D8B. I started to google around for it, and was so crushed when i found out that it was a digital mixer, not a daw controller. But later on, I found out about D8Bridge!

Now, I found one for $500, which I will buy in the next couple of days.

My question is, how's it working with Windows 8 x64? I use Studio One v2.5 as my DAW, but I CAN use Cubase, if Studio One ain't working that well.

So, any comments? :)
RustyNotes

Re: D8bridge, Windows 8 X64 and Studio One V2.5

Postby Axeman098 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 pm

From a functionality standpoint, I don't see a big issue with Windows 8 x64. From a Code perspective, there isn't a huge difference between Win7 x64 and Win 8 x64. If it functions well in 7, even running the 32bit .exe, then there should be no major issue in Windows 8.
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RustyNotes » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:30 am

Great!
RustyNotes

Postby RustyNotes » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:16 pm

i have some other questions.. those buttons on the D8B who isn't mapped to anything, can you assign them to do what ever you want?

Let's say that the button named "new" on the D8B, can you assign it to make a new track?
RustyNotes

Postby Axeman098 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 pm

I would have to defer to Marc on that. I don't "think" so, as I recall reading something about that in another thread some time back. I believe the MCU protocol commands are somewhat specific, but I agree it would be really cool to custom program some of those unassigned buttons
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RustyNotes » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:49 pm

I'm stuck at "Console Ready, waiting for DAW..."

I'm running Windows 8 X64, D8Bridge (32-bit) and Studio One 2.5 X64.

Can that be the problem? That I'm running Studio One in 64-bit mode? Because even if I open Studio One, the massage on the D8B is still there.. and yes, I've setup everything just like the PDF told me to :(
RustyNotes

Postby bitSync » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:39 pm

RustyNotes wrote:I'm stuck at "Console Ready, waiting for DAW..."

I'm running Windows 8 X64, D8Bridge (32-bit) and Studio One 2.5 X64.

Can that be the problem? That I'm running Studio One in 64-bit mode? Because even if I open Studio One, the massage on the D8B is still there.. and yes, I've setup everything just like the PDF told me to :(

@RustyNotes,

According to Marc, a 64 bit OS + a 64 bit DAW + a 32 bit D8Bridge should not be a problem. That's what I'm running but with Sonar X2a x64 and Windows 7 x64.

It's been a while since I looked at the PDF, and I don't have it handy at the moment, but I recall that following the PDF loopback port routing instructions to the letter was one of the things that really caused me some difficulty. The GUI and port naming conventions are a little different for LoopBE30 and LoopMIDI (you should not use MIDI-Yoke if you're using a 64 bit DAW). Just make sure that the D8Bridge output ports match the DAW input ports, and that the DAW output ports match the D8Bridge input ports. Also, make sure that while making D8Bridge port changes between invocations of D8Bridge, check the running processes and make sure d8bridge.exe isn't running. If you've been doing a lot of startups and shutdowns to get things configured right, d8bridge.exe doesn't always shut down, and if you're trying to get things up and running correctly with extra instances of d8bridge.exe running, that can really interfere.

Also, is your serial-to-USB adapter Windows-8 ready?

Also, I'm not sure exactly how StudioOne does its Mackie Control thing, but on Sonar X2a, bringing up the application in and of itself does not fully initialize the console. It's not until a new or old project file is opened that the initializing MIDI messages start flowing from the DAW to the MCU (D8Bridge). Starting up Sonar X2a sends 16 discrete messages to D8Bridge on each MIDI interface, Bn 7A 00, where n = 0..F. Also, the D0 LED metering messages start flowing continuously. But the messages that initialize the state of the control surface lights and indicators (apart from the LED meters) don't start until a project file is opened. Maybe that's the case with StudioOne also? Have you tried opening a project?
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RustyNotes » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks man. I really appreciate you taking the time. I think I was to quick to post. I tried the 32-bit version of D8bridge, and voila!! Works like a charm :)

The only 2 problems I have, which I've noticed.. is that I can only pan left. And once I have, i can't pan back to the right. I have to use the mouse in my daw for that. Very annoying.. so all panning is done in my daw from now on.
The second thing is that the meters on the meter bridges is messed up, SOMETIMES. Not all of them, and not always. but some of them get stuck sometimes, at full volume. Which is very annoying to. Sometimes it's all the channels that isn't being used that are stuck at the top. They go away sometimes when you scroll through channels, but not always.

Other-wise, it works just the way I've hoped. I just wish you could re-map some of the buttons :)
RustyNotes

Return to D8Bridge Forum