Change font size   Print view

what's the best DAW to use with the D8Bridge ?

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

what's the best DAW to use with the D8Bridge ?

Postby farmac » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:14 am

Well , I'm exactly 2 years behind my projected finish date for the renovations to my studio. I pretty much learned to mix on my D8b and an HDR24/96 , from when they were first released.
I'm not great with computers. I do believe I've got a good ear for mixing , and I'm a decent guitar player.
Now that I've had a chance to hear the results of mixing with better converters , and enjoyed some of the benefits of using tracks recorded on a modern DAW , that I can have on a laptop too , I'd like to keep using my D8b as a controller.

I bought the D8Bridge cable a while ago ( thinking I'd be ready to go in the studio a long time ago :(

I got REALLY good at manipulating tracks on my HDR24/96 , and now I've got to learn to operate an entirely new DAW. Hopefully one that works with the D8Bridge too. I was going to try and use Reaper , but I read here there are issues.

Knowing the situation , can anyone tell me what is the best DAW for the Bridge ? .... thanks
farmac

Re: what's the best DAW to use with the D8Bridge ?

Postby Marc Girard » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:02 am

Hello Farmac,

The "most compatible" DAW with D8Bridge would be Nuendo/Cubase. D8Bridge was tested and developped on Nuendo 4/5. Cubase is almost the same as Nuendo. Good luck with the new studio!
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby MOSHWITZ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:39 am

Sup?

I can confirm it works just as good in Cubase as nuendo and is the smoothest out of all the DAW's as I use these the most out of all. I have just started to use it in Sonar X2 after moving up from X1,, and so far so good,, But I prefer Cubase/Nuendo.

MOSHON
DAVE
MOSHWITZ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Just for precision: Nuendo/Cubase is the most compatible DAW because it is the DAW which implemented the MCU protocol completely. Almost all other DAWs have a partial implementation of the MCU. That's why it's the most compatible DAW, not just because D8Bridge had been developed with it. I thought you guys might wanna know. Cheers!
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby farmac » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 pm

OK. Cubase 7 - on the way. Thanks.
farmac

Postby Axeman098 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Marc, you mentioned most other DAW's as only using partial implementations of the MCU protocol. I am curious what is missing? Is it different for each DAW? Or is there some sort of standardized partial implementation with known features missing? Also, Moshwitz, you say you're using it with Sonar X2? How is it working for you with X2??? I plan on using it with that primarily....Just waiting on my tax check to FINALLY take the D8Bridge plunge! woohoo! :)
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby farmac » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:07 am

MOSHWITZ wrote:Sup?

I can confirm it works just as good in Cubase as nuendo and is the smoothest out of all the DAW's as I use these the most out of all. I have just started to use it in Sonar X2 after moving up from X1,, and so far so good,, But I prefer Cubase/Nuendo.

MOSHON
DAVE

Hey Dave. I'm using the Bridge with Cubase right now , but I don't have a lot of functions working with it yet. Did you have to midi map it yourself ? I'd like to mimic more of the functions from the old D8b. The bank up / down - channel up/ down is a pain. And none of the function buttons are doing anything. - didn't know if they need to be assigned , or if mine isn't working right ?

Thanks.
farmac

Postby MOSHWITZ » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 am

Sup? :-)

I've been tracking some stuff as of late,, but if I get some time to mess with it tonight I'll flip my cables around an check it out for you. :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE
MOSHWITZ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby farmac » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 am

Hey Dave.
I learned there are 10 buttons we can assign for our own functions. I'm thinking the rest are set according to what Marc did. The old Masters , Shift , Mic/line , and Tape In - are wack. They don't jive with my Cubase mixer at all. At least not that I can see. The buttons below the little screen on the D8b seem pretty useless as well. It's too bad we can't map these buttons that are already set - ourselves. :(
farmac

Return to D8Bridge Forum