Change font size   Print view

D8Bridge version 2.0 - Phase 1...

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

Re: D8Bridge version 2.0 - Phase 1...

Postby Petersueco » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Axe.

AFAIK Marc is reverse engineering the audio portion of the console to make it work with the new version. What I don't know is how far or how complete and advanced the audio portion is going to be.

I believe he wants to offer 48 DSP audio channels with EQ, Comp and Gate, Aux sends and full routing options together with the 24 fader HUI/MCU remote controller. One single Ethernet cable as the connection bridge and a floppy disk to start the board as a net server. Quite clever I have to say.

I also know that the plugins are out of the question due to third party licensing issues. I wonder if the headphone section will be operative, and I really hope so. It sure would make a nice bonus.

If he accomplish to make the board's audio basic channels and channel routing working, the d8b second hand market will get really interesting.

My board, for example, need much repair and maintenance and I'm patiently waiting for this release to begin chasing for new faders and maybe a new talkback button (the little bastard is sunken). Maybe a 'new' second hand board has to be considered.

Anyway, Marc has still a long road to get there so, guys please, be patient. I'm helping him out with some GUI graphics, but the coding part of the software is very time consuming so I wouldn't expect it to be released very soon.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Casey_Pittman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Petersueco wrote:
I believe he wants to offer 48 DSP audio channels with EQ, Comp and Gate, Aux sends and full routing options together with the 24 fader HUI/MCU remote controller. One single Ethernet cable as the connection bridge and a floppy disk to start the board as a net server. Quite clever I have to say.

Are we talking audio over Ethernet instead of the adat/tdif/analog cards!?!

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:09 pm

No, the audio will still be going through the original hardware. The software will be controlling the DSP on board the console via Ethernet.

Peter Holmquist.
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Casey_Pittman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:06 am

Ahh got it. Still very awesome.

-C
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby wayne » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:04 am

Good news, am so excited about this and am NOT even a d8b user, i been monitoring the d8b a while now, so now i can go out and buy it now. Bless up Marc you give up hope. :D
wayne

Postby BrianJ » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:27 pm

So, if I understand correctly, we'll be able to use the D8B as BOTH a control surface (as we can now), AND an audio interface to the DAW??? This is exactly what I'm looking for...can this be confirmed?

Also, since I don't have a d8b yet, what all would I need to get for this to work? What types of I/o cards would the d8b need to have to interface a DAW on a Windows 7 64-bit machine? And how many tracks at a time can be sent to the pc?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see what exactly will be needed...thanks!

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Midirose » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Brian, Marc's message says that he will have a boot floppy to get you into the Ver. 2 control surface. So yes you can boot your D8b normally as an audio console or with the Control Surface boot disk as a control surface. Very damn sweet indeed.
Midirose

Postby BrianJ » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Midirose...wait, I'm confused...? So, we won't be able to use the audio AND the control surface simultaneously? I thought that was one of the best things about version 2?

If you have to boot it separately for audio/control surface, how does that differ from the way it is now?

Guess I'm a little confused...!
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Lemontiger » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:21 pm

(I guess Petersueco has some inside info here - the above post is the first mention of audio as far as I'm aware. The only official notice has been about the network boot disk concept, which eliminates the need for cable-swapping. I don't know whether there are any plans to support ADAT...? I'd have thought including support for the OPT8/DIO8 cards would be a heck of a challenge. I'm sure Mark will reveal all in due course.)
Lemontiger

Postby BrianJ » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:34 pm

Lemontiger wrote:(I guess Petersueco has some inside info here - the above post is the first mention of audio as far as I'm aware. The only official notice has been about the network boot disk concept, which eliminates the need for cable-swapping. I don't know whether there are any plans to support ADAT...? I'd have thought including support for the OPT8/DIO8 cards would be a heck of a challenge. I'm sure Mark will reveal all in due course.)

Hello! Thanks for replying...! I feel like version 2 has to be much more than just not having to swap cables though...as that can be accomplished now with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Port-25-Pin-D ... 3f0e0d47d4

If the D8B still needs to be rebooted everytime you want to go from audio to control surface mode it's still going to have the same limitation as it does now...?! For me, that seems to be the biggest drawback, no audio. I've contacted Marc with some questions but haven't heard back from him...trying to decide if D8Bridge is really for me before I spend $350 on it...
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to D8Bridge Forum