Change font size   Print view

D8Bridge version 2.0 - Phase 1...

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

Re: D8Bridge version 2.0 - Phase 1...

Postby Midirose » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Brian read Marc's words here......

What is "Phase 1" you ask? Well, D8Bridge version 2.0 will work quite differently than version 1.x. In v1.x you need my serial cable (custom pinout) and a USB to Serial adapter to interface with the D8B. This will be no more! In D8Bridge v2.0, the D8B will run it's own little "OS" and is converted into an Ethernet connectable appliance.

What's the beauty of this approach? There is NO hardware modification necessary and you can always revert back to your old MackieOS by simply ejecting the diskette that contains D8Bridge's OS. Simply put: I created a bootable floppy that converts any D8B into a connectable network server. The only cable you'll need is a standard RJ45/Ethernet cable!

For me this will be just great. I can use the D8b when recording to the DAW and then use it as a Control Surface when mixing and there is only a reboot between these two modes. Very Very cool
Midirose

Postby BrianJ » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:06 pm

Midirose,

That's what I was saying before...you should be able to do that now with a simple DB25 switch like this...

41Fudb5P0fL__SS500_.jpg
41Fudb5P0fL__SS500_.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 8028 times

A box like that should allow you to do just what you're describing even with version 1.1 of d8bridge...no? This would make it so you wouldn't have to physically switch the cables on the console and PC itself. You could use the D8B to record to the DAW, then power down, flip the switch and power back up and you'll have the bridge running for mixing.

I really think that version 2 is going to be much more than that, and I don't think you'll have to power down to change modes...read this...

Marc Girard wrote:
Petersueco wrote:Are you planning to bring the audio capabilities of the board into the D8Bridge app?

Yes. I've got big plans for version 2.0. I'm still designing and testing out stuff but here's my main goals:

- Write a dedicated "D8Bridge Server" that runs on the D8B Computer. That "server" would handle all the surface and DSP data over Ethernet, so no damn serial cables would be needed between your DAW and the console anymore. My original design had it working (see my first videos, when I had only one fader moving). It would be some sort of an embedded Linux system... (That step is almost complete!)

- Write a D8Bridge client that could run on PCs & Macs (running the data over Ethernet/TCP/IP greatly simplifies the porting, the MIDI handling etc.). That client would look a bit like D8Bridge v1.x but with an "IP Address to D8B" field instead of a "Serial Port".

- If I succeed at the first two steps, nothing keeps me from reverse engineering the DSP side (the audio portion of the board). Since it'll be included in the Ethernet line. I'd try to at least include some basic routing, mixing and main monitoring. I'm talking over my head now as I didn't even started to look at the DSP protocol.

- Finally, in my wildest dream, I could use your nice D8B graphics and use it as a "new D8B OS" scheme. I mean, I'm dreaming of a "DAW / MIX" switch that would toggle between the two modes so we could have the best of both worlds. Something like double-clicking on a special D8B button would shift modes... That'd be fantastic. And since I got complete control over DSP & Surface, nothing could keep us from mixing in our DAWs (in DAW mode) and have a window on screen with the "MIX mode" we can edit with our mouse (for quick changes) and if you want to get down to business, switch to "MIX" on the board, and voila... You're routing your audio...

So that's the plan Stan! :D

Here's the thread it's located in...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=598
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:29 am

Ideally I would like to see the Audio routing open up, so I could use the D8b more like a C24. I would rather use the Mixer I/O for live recording and keep my Interfaces at the studio or rehearsal space. It means less equipment to haul out, and a LOT less setup time. The I/O doesn't have to be complex, just give me the main channel inputs, main/Monitor outs and a side chain and I'd be delighted. I like the idea of a Master "Mode" switch, but I have no real desire to use Mackie's OS at all. I just want to route audio straight to my DAW of Choice off the Analog inputs.

Another thing I am curious about is, once we gain the Analog I/O, will the DAW see it as an audio source like a normal interface? Would I have a template, or the ability to assign each channel it's own track in my DAW? How would that work? Perhaps I am confused because I'm thinking like a normal interface. Would there be Audio "Drivers" to run the Mackie I/O? I'm assuming this would all be tied to the DSP, but I've spent too many years around ASIO Drivers that have me stuck in expecting this sort of model. Would the Analog I/O AND control come in via Ethernet???? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how it would work from the DAW's perspective. Someone please help me out here, because I suddenly feel like an idiot that's missing something :shock: :roll:
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:42 pm

I would think the easiest way would be for audio routing to work kinda like it is. Still needing the Cards in the d8b and an interface to the computer. The D8bridge just taking care of internal routing of the d8b's analog to digital conversion.

Seems like it would be easier to me. But I'm not a programer. I am PRO grammar though!

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Has anyone heard from Marc lately??? I sent him messages/emails about the D8Bridge but haven't heard back from him and it's been a couple weeks...
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:21 am

I haven't, but I've been away a bit myself. I know it's not unusual for him to get busy and be away for a bit. Hopefully he is okay and just hasn't had time to check in. I'm sure when he does, he'll have something cool to tell us :P
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Hello guys,

I'm here, I'm just busy mixing albums, taking care of the family and working on D8Bridge v2.0. Still reverse engineering the Audio side of the D8B brain.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby Midirose » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi Marc, it's been a couple months since anyone posted here. How are we looking? Do you know what would be the best Christmas present for everyone on this thread? LOL!!!
Midirose

Postby Axeman098 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:11 pm

I too hope the Audio I/O development is progressing. I had hoped to have already purchased my D8Bridge by now, but the year hasn't gone as well as I'd hoped. Still though, it will happen soon enough.

I DID notice going back and rereading the original post to this thread, and Marc, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that The v2.0 Linux distro will be able to use MORE than just the original stock Motherboards? Can you elaborate on this any? Will there be a list of compatible boards?? Or will it just be left kind of open to figure out? Anything that eases the strict replacement requirements is a wonderful thing to me, as I do not plan on using the Mackie OS at all, I'm just curious what else you can tell us about this cool feature of v2 ???
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:03 pm

OK, the new D8Bridge version won't use a serial cable, it'll use Ethernet instead. Hence the use of Linux to redirect all D8B messages through the network.

Since the D8B embedded PC will run Linux instead of the Mackie OS, it'll be a lot more prone to upgrades, MODs and such. Linux is really open and universally compatible. So, for users that have a faulty motherboard or just want a bit more power out of their Mackie "PC", well, D8Bridge will allow upgrades.

We're still far away from a release. I'm thinking about an "interim" release of D8Bridge that will use the new network system. Maybe D8Bridge v1.5, I'm still thinking about all of this.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

PreviousNext

Return to D8Bridge Forum