Change font size   Print view

Status of D8Bridge 2.0???

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

Status of D8Bridge 2.0???

Postby topdiggy2 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:27 am

Hello Marc:

I have been following this forum for a minute in anticipation of the 2.0 release.

Any updates? When will it be available? The website doesnt say exactly which version is available for purchase....

Thanks
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Status of D8Bridge 2.0???

Postby mixingmusic » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:15 pm

topdiggy2 wrote:Hello Marc:

I have been following this forum for a minute in anticipation of the 2.0 release.

Any updates? When will it be available? The website doesnt say exactly which version is available for purchase....

Thanks

don't buy 1.1 it was never finished..........
mixingmusic

Postby topdiggy2 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:15 pm

So, what are the limitations/capabilities of v1.1 as is right now?

Thanks
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:06 pm

D8Bridge 2.0 is under development still. You see, I do not make a living out of D8Bridge, it is a side project. Now days, I'm busy working on other projects that pays the bills and bring food on the table. As soon as things slow down, I'll finish D8Bridge 2.0. As for Mixingmusic, he's the only one complaining... Don't bother, there's over 50 D8Bridge users running the software happily.

Thanks for your interest!
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby mixingmusic » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:13 am

topdiggy2 wrote:So, what are the limitations/capabilities of v1.1 as is right now?

Thanks

You should ask Marc the limitations/capabilities of v1.1 ...

Then you need to buy it ...

If it works good for you .... God Bless You!

If it Doesn't ... God Bless You!

If Marc would fix the BUGS in 1.1 Like he promised when I bought this almost a year ago I would be Happy and
would not care about 2.0

And I would not complain anymore ... I would sell them for you Marc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That would put a lot of food on your table ... I Can Promise That ... ;)
mixingmusic

Postby NigelC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:51 am

Marc, I do appreciate you have other projects and this did start off as a hobby/project for fun. The problem with the delays in fully resolving the solution is that by the time you finish it many users will have ditched the d8b and found another solution thereby lowering your market even further.

There are many Mac users who could not use v1. In audio lots of users are Mac based so you are missing a whole section by not releasing v2.

I think you shot yourself in the foot by:

1. Setting the price quite high (at that price level people are used to full support).
2. Building a bespoke website to sell it from (giving the impression of a full-time project).

Maybe this serves as a warning to those who think "I have a great idea lets sell it". As its a big job to support it and fix issues.

If anything I would say a Mac solution for non-Pro Tools users has the biggest potential as Pro Tools users have many large format solutions out there like the C24. Logic users have the MCU but the only large format console is the $20k+ System 5 or Icon!
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby thruhiker » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:38 pm

As Pro Tools user, I beg Marc to not release a non- Pro Tools version of 2.0. There are a LOT of Pro Tools users in this community, (MAC and PC users alike) that have been waiting patiently for 2.0 with HUI support to drop. A lot of potential income would be lost to Marc if that were to be the case. I am willing to wait on the final product, when it indeed does drop for purchase.

Quite a few people have picked up a d8b for use as an affordable controller upon hearing of the promise of d8bridge 1.1 and now, 2.0. (and, yes maybe the fault may be ours for jumping too quickly to buy). A lot of us run Pro Tools and can't, nor do we really want to spend the extravagant amount of money to buy an Icon or C24. The d8b is a better option for the feel of an actual desk, in my opinion. The AVID interfaces such as the ICON and C24, while great products, are not priced for today's average studio.

However, with all of that being said, I have my own personal cutoff for how long I may wait for a controller option. And. yes, the alternative requires me to sell my d8b. And, I am sure I would take a loss on at this point. The only thing I would prefer over 2.0 is the Slate Digital MTi, and, only if it becomes PC compatible. Which seems its going to be a long way off.

Personally, I want to keep my d8b, and, its a bit awkward when clients come into my studio and see this nice clean d8b sitting there, yet never being used. Sure I can use the 8 channel HUI capability, and I do use it on occasion, but..... I explain that I'm patiently waiting for the software upgrade, when asked if my console is broken.

So, I am content to wait for 2.0 and I hope others are as well. Marc said in a previous topic that 2.0 is near completion. What that actual time may be, we don't' know, but I choose to keep the faith. At least someone is out there trying to find a way for us all to have an affordable controller to use.

So, please Marc, do not consider dropping Pro Tools support for d8bridge 2.0. A lot of us are waiting patiently and excitedly.
thruhiker

Postby NigelC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 pm

thruhiker wrote:So, please Marc, do not consider dropping Pro Tools support for d8bridge 2.0. A lot of us are waiting patiently and excitedly.

I think you have jumped the gun so to speak. Marc is not considering dropping Pro Tools support. I simply stated that Pro Tools users have other options for large format controllers that 2nd hand can be bought for a lot less than other DAW users.

Currently no other solutions exist for a large format DAW and audio controller under $20k.

Sure plenty of digital mixers have DAW support (Behringer and Allen & Heath have them) but they all use the 8 channel model already in the D8B.
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby thruhiker » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:49 pm

please don't get me wrong. :D I don't think Marc would drop the Pro Tools aspect, or that you were seriously implying that.

I was just throwing out a desperate plea. Because, as you indicated, who wants to spend 20K on a controller? :shock: Not my studio. ;)

Cheers.
thruhiker

Postby mixingmusic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:31 pm

You should get a post back from Marc.....About 5-29-14

Give or take a week or so.....

Just have a little patience :D
mixingmusic

Next

Return to D8Bridge Forum