Change font size   Print view

Noisy d8b computer

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

Noisy d8b computer

Postby mulle_p » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Hey

I just purchased a d8b, and I'm planning to use it primary with d8bridge once the v2.0 will be available.

When I boot it up, it is quite noisy (the computer). I read that Marc said that you just should unplug the cpu fan and the harddrive (if using it with d8bridge), and the noise would decrease! Did I get it right? Don't want any thing to be overheated :D

Thanks

/Morten
mulle_p

Re: Noisy d8b computer

Postby Marc Girard » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:15 pm

mulle_p wrote:When I boot it up, it is quite noisy (the computer). I read that Marc said that you just should unplug the cpu fan and the harddrive (if using it with d8bridge), and the noise would decrease! Did I get it right? Don't want any thing to be overheated :D

Hello Morten,

Yes indeed, you can unplug a few things to make your D8B computer/Power supply more silent:

- The CPU fan
- The Motherboard power
- The Hard disk

That should reduce the noise a lot, good luck!
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby mulle_p » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 am

I'm Aware that v2 Will be bootet from the floppy drive, but I wont be needing the things you mentioned at all? (As long as it is pure d8bridge mode :) ), and It wont overheat when unpluggin' the fans?
mulle_p

Postby Marc Girard » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:34 pm

mulle_p wrote:I'm Aware that v2 Will be bootet from the floppy drive, but I wont be needing the things you mentioned at all? (As long as it is pure d8bridge mode :) ), and It wont overheat when unpluggin' the fans?

Version 1.x doesn't need any of the CPU, it's version 2.0 that will need it (only if you wanna use the Ethernet connection). If not, there's always the good old serial mode in 2.0 as well, but there will be no support for the audio. In other words, if you are using your D8B as a DAW controller only, you can disable the onboard computer without any fear. Cheers!
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby mulle_p » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:17 am

Nice, Will the serial cable come along with v2.0?
mulle_p

Postby Marc Girard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 pm

mulle_p wrote:Nice, Will the serial cable come along with v2.0?

No, it'll be offered as an add-on. If you really want to use serial control with your D8B. D8Bridge v2.0 will be a software solution only, you provide the ethernet infrastructure. The advantage will be that you'll be able to buy D8Bridge v2.0, download it and use it right away, without waiting for the cable to arrive through the mail.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby bitSync » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:31 am

Marc Girard wrote:Yes indeed, you can unplug a few things to make your D8B computer/Power supply more silent:

- The CPU fan

Marc, do you actually run your own d8b with no CPU fan? If so,
  • For how long have you done that?
  • Are you using the stock heatsink or have you replaced it with a different kind of heatsink?
  • Is your CPU clocked at 300 MHz or something slower?
  • Do you run your d8b with the CPU/PSU chassis cover on?

I'm amidst a CPU/PSU silencing campaign and the final source of noise I'm dealing with is the CPU fan. I'd love to have it gone but I'm very concerned about the CPU overheating. Please let us know if running the CPU fanless is something you are doing yourself and what sort of longevity you've seen with your own CPU running without fan cooling. Thanks!
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby mulle_p » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Ok, Nice. Think I Will use the ethernet solution, and work on the noise "problem"... I Found that my main problem is the powersupply!!
mulle_p

Postby the boss » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:25 am

Replace CPU fan with a silent and
Replace the hd with a CF reader
Install another CF reader for d8b bridge
And run a multi boot
the boss

Return to D8Bridge Forum