Change font size   Print view

MARC GIRARD'S Issues and Fix it page for D8Bridge 1.1

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

MARC GIRARD'S Issues and Fix it page for D8Bridge 1.1

Postby mixingmusic » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:54 am

mixingmusic

Re: MARC GIRARD'S Issues and Fix it page for D8Bridge 1.1

Postby Marc Girard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:53 pm

I couldn't help but notice that the 7 or last 8 posts were by you. Could you please contain your frustration to one thread and stop posting all over the forum? Nobody likes a flooded forum.

As for your issue with the x64 version of D8Bridge, it makes *NO* difference what so ever in either performance or operation. LoopMIDI supports both x32/x64 MIDI applications so, it doesn't matter which version of D8Bridge is "driving" the LoopMIDI ports. As long as you get the correct MCU MIDI commands. x64 won't go faster and doesn't give any advantages. D8Bridge x64 was compiled because another user requested it but it was a mistake on my part because of the long addressing in the x64 mode. The pointers and system calls/addressing is different and needs a rewrite. That's exactly why work on v1.x has stopped, v2.0 has be written from scratch because of this matter (in part). In the mean time, v1.x x32 suits 99% of the people here, except you maybe, and I don't understand why for the aforementioned reason.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby mixingmusic » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:41 pm

I will wait for 2.0........ :D

mixingmusic
mixingmusic

Postby bitSync » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Marc Girard wrote:I couldn't help but notice that the 7 or last 8 posts were by you. Could you please contain your frustration to one thread and stop posting all over the forum? Nobody likes a flooded forum.

As for your issue with the x64 version of D8Bridge, it makes *NO* difference what so ever in either performance or operation. LoopMIDI supports both x32/x64 MIDI applications so, it doesn't matter which version of D8Bridge is "driving" the LoopMIDI ports. As long as you get the correct MCU MIDI commands. x64 won't go faster and doesn't give any advantages. D8Bridge x64 was compiled because another user requested it but it was a mistake on my part because of the long addressing in the x64 mode. The pointers and system calls/addressing is different and needs a rewrite. That's exactly why work on v1.x has stopped, v2.0 has be written from scratch because of this matter (in part). In the mean time, v1.x x32 suits 99% of the people here, except you maybe, and I don't understand why for the aforementioned reason.

Marc,

I'm really hesitant to perpetuate this thread any more than necessary, but when you say -

Marc Girard wrote:As for your issue with the x64 version of D8Bridge, it makes *NO* difference what so ever in either performance or operation.

I think it's more accurate and informative to say that it shouldn't matter, not that it doesn't matter. Using a 64 bit implementation of D8Bridge shouldn't make any difference in performance given that it operates properly in all other respects. But d8bridge_x64.exe does not operate correctly as documented by many users on this forum including yourself. The first two weeks of my personal experience with D8Bridge was riddled with troubles and mayhem since I was trying to run d8bridge_x64.exe on my setup. Once I learned from another forum member that he never got d8bridge_x64.exe to run successfully but d8bridge.exe ran OK, my experience with D8Bridge turned around completely. I was able to get a reasonable degree of functionality out of the thing.

I don't understand what's going on with MIXINGMUSIC. I cautioned him about using the d8bridge_x64.exe in earlier threads but he insisted he was not using d8bridge_x64.exe. So when he says "it doesn't work in 64 bit" I don't really know what "it" he is talking about. I haven't seen a comprehensive response to questions about version numbers in his posts.

I do think that there are a couple simple steps that BluAudio could do to minimize user difficulties with D8Bridge and I offer these as suggestions for you to consider.

• Email all v1.1 buyers with a warning message to not use d8bridge_x64.exe.
  • Put up a sticky post at the top of the D8Bridge forum advising users of the likely dangers of using the d8bridge_x64.exe; e.g., "Don't ever use the d8bridge_x64.exe"
  • If possible, delete d8bridge_x64.exe from all future v1.1 distributions
  • Post a prominent note on the BluAudio web site with a warning similar to the forum sticky

I know if I had seen this early on it would have saved me many, many hours of frustration. It never occurred to me that the x64 executable would not have been thoroughly tested and would not work exactly like the x32 executable.

Again, I don't know if this is MIXINGMUSIC's issue or not because he hasn't responded comprehensively to the request for application versions and executables, but if he is talking about troubles with d8bridge_x64.exe, then there is a very good reason why he has had trouble.

Aside from fixing MIXINGMUSIC's issues, I think a warning notice to D8Bridge users about d8bridge_x64.exe would be a helpful and informative thing to do. I offer this suggestion in the spirit of an improved D8Bridge user experience for everyone. Thanks.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 am

BitSync, you are right. I have to inform all users about that faulty x64 version. I'm sorry that you had a struggle with D8Bridge, I can't give you back your two weeks of lost time but I'll do my best to make your experience better from now on! :) Every users that bought D8Bridge since last year received a "PPS" notice with their email saying "Don't use x64". I'm gonna go ahead and rebuild the package right now (without the x64) as a matter of fact.

The thing is it took sometime to find that it wasn't working OK. I seemed to be working good when I first shipped it...
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby bitSync » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:25 am

Very cool. Thanks, Marc.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby mixingmusic » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:53 pm

I do think that there are a couple simple steps that BluAudio could do to minimize user difficulties with D8Bridge and I offer these as suggestions for you to consider.

Email all v1.1 buyers with a warning message to not use d8bridge_x64.exe.
Put up a sticky post at the top of the D8Bridge forum advising users of the likely dangers of using the d8bridge_x64.exe; e.g., "Don't ever use the d8bridge_x64.exe"
If possible, delete d8bridge_x64.exe from all future v1.1 distributions
Post a prominent note on the BluAudio web site with a warning similar to the forum sticky

I couldn't of said it better myself, bitsync :)
mixingmusic

Return to D8Bridge Forum