Change font size   Print view

D8Bridge 2.0 Announced!

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

D8Bridge 2.0 Announced!

Postby Marc Girard » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:22 pm

After almost two years of development, Bluaudio is proud to announce D8Bridge 2.0! The new version is a complete redesign of the original software and it has grown from a utility tool to a complete solution for your audio console. D8Bridge 2.0 can act as a replacement to the aging and discontinued MackieOS. Here is a list of the main new features:

- Rendered Graphic User Interface with modern looks
- Virtual MIDI ports that are managed by D8Bridge (no more MidiYoke)
- Ethernet or serial connection to the console (no more custom cables)
- Support for MCU, HUI and General MIDI protocols
- Support audio routing and mixing
- Support for Windows and Mac OS X
- Compatible with all major DAWs (Cubase, Nuendo, Pro Tools, Logic, Sonar, etc)
- D8Bridge usable without a D8B! (As remote control software)

More features will be announced and added as we get close to the release date. The price and release date will be announced shortly.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Re: D8Bridge 2.0 Announced!

Postby bitSync » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Marc,

Looks pretty cool...

Just wondering, are you still intending to make v1.2 happen as you indicated in this post -

http://www.d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=888

or are you now moving on directly to v2.0? If v1.2 is no longer planned, what are the implications for v1.1 owners and a fix path for some of the v1.1 issues? Will the current v1.1 owners get their bug fixes in v2.0? Thanks.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:31 am

Superb Mark!

Keep it coming!!
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Marc Girard » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:35 pm

bitSync wrote:Just wondering, are you still intending to make v1.2 happen as you indicated in this post -

or are you now moving on directly to v2.0? If v1.2 is no longer planned, what are the implications for v1.1 owners and a fix path for some of the v1.1 issues? Will the current v1.1 owners get their bug fixes in v2.0? Thanks.

Hello BitSync,

The problem that I have with fixing v1.x bugs is that they are often not related to D8Bridge at all. D8Bridge v1.x translates all MCU commands to native D8B commands and vice-versa. This directly impacts D8Bridge, let's pretend that a DAW manufacturer implements only say, fader moves. Well, only the faders will work with D8Bridge.

So, many DAWs, means many MCU implementations, means many ways to receive/sends commands. The best MCU implementation I've seen so far is Cuabse/Nuendo (that's one of the reasons why I developed v1.x with it).

That being said, I'm not saying that I'm perfect, far from it! I did my best to implement an MCU protocol (with outdated docs, without the original hardware!). Same goes for the D8B, reverse engineered the Mackie communication protocols.

One of the real bugs that D8Bridge has is the MIDI System Exclusive handling... It needs a complete rewrite as I didn't understand (back then) how Microsoft implemented this in their OS. (Once again, almost no documentation available on this subject, a friend from Ubisoft debugged me!). Same goes for the MIDI port selectors and bad error checking routines.

So, I've got a choice: Rewrite much of the v1.x or start on a brand new base and rethink how D8Bridge works... As I wanted to add new features and change a few major things, well, the answer was quite clear.

I'm not saying that there ain't gonna be no v1.x, but my efforts are concentrated on the new version... It's easier the second time around, started fresh, added all that I wanted and I've got more experience as well so... It'll result in a much better product.

Don't worry, v1.x users will have a special upgrade price, that is to be announced.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby thruhiker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:48 pm

YES!!! YES!!! Happy Pro Tools user right here.. this guy. YES!!

Thanks Marc!!!
thruhiker

Postby bitSync » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:27 am

Marc Girard wrote:
bitSync wrote:Just wondering, are you still intending to make v1.2 happen as you indicated in this post -

Hello BitSync,

The problem that I have with fixing v1.x bugs is that they are often not related to D8Bridge at all. D8Bridge v1.x translates all MCU commands to native D8B commands and vice-versa. This directly impacts D8Bridge, let's pretend that a DAW manufacturer implements only say, fader moves. Well, only the faders will work with D8Bridge.

So, many DAWs, means many MCU implementations, means many ways to receive/sends commands. The best MCU implementation I've seen so far is Cuabse/Nuendo (that's one of the reasons why I developed v1.x with it).

That being said, I'm not saying that I'm perfect, far from it! I did my best to implement an MCU protocol (with outdated docs, without the original hardware!). Same goes for the D8B, reverse engineered the Mackie communication protocols.

One of the real bugs that D8Bridge has is the MIDI System Exclusive handling... It needs a complete rewrite as I didn't understand (back then) how Microsoft implemented this in their OS. (Once again, almost no documentation available on this subject, a friend from Ubisoft debugged me!). Same goes for the MIDI port selectors and bad error checking routines.

So, I've got a choice: Rewrite much of the v1.x or start on a brand new base and rethink how D8Bridge works... As I wanted to add new features and change a few major things, well, the answer was quite clear.

I'm not saying that there ain't gonna be no v1.x, but my efforts are concentrated on the new version... It's easier the second time around, started fresh, added all that I wanted and I've got more experience as well so... It'll result in a much better product.

Don't worry, v1.x users will have a special upgrade price, that is to be announced.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply. Of the 23 bug reports I supplied perhaps 4 or 5 of them related to MCU/d8b translation (i.e., DAW MCU implementations, etc.); the rest were general program function. I do appreciate the value in starting fresh with a different architecture, though. Although I'm disappointed to learn I'll need to pay for an upgrade to get my v1.1 bugs fixed I do recognize you're wanting to move on to a new implementation and that's probably a good thing. I just hope your 'special' upgrade price is *really* special!

I've learned a lot about the behavior of v1.1 over the months and for the most part I have adjusted to its idiosyncrasies.

Good luck with the 2.0 software. The GUI is pure sexy. The Mac guys and HUI guys must be flipping out. Please keep us posted. Best regards.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby winburn1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Will 2.0 still work with the d8bs that have the error 43 message? Thanks for any information
winburn1

Postby deanoh » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:59 am

Hi winburn1,

Look here for "error 43", http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/tpis.html and anything else you may need.

Regards,

deanoh
deanoh

Postby Midirose » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Glad you are close to getting this completed Marc. Waiting to purchase.
Midirose

Postby vichenzso » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi there.
Can you provide the release date and price?
Thnks
vichenzso

Next

Return to D8Bridge Forum