Change font size   Print view

D8Bridge Version 2.0 is progressing - Good news!

Discussion board for the D8Bridge users

D8Bridge Version 2.0 is progressing - Good news!

Postby Marc Girard » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:56 am

Hello all,

Just wanted to post some updates. It might not sound like much but I successfully interfaced the LoopMIDI DLL. What does that mean in plain English? It means that D8Bridge 2.0 will be *A LOT* more simple to setup. There won't be any weird 6 ports to configure in and out. In fact, there won't be no ports to configure at all! Simply run D8Bridge and bam, 6 virtual MIDI ports are automatically created for you... Just configure your DAW to talk to those virtual MIDI ports and D8Bridge works right away. I'm super excited about this feature because I imagined D8Bridge to do this from day one.

Now, for those who think the development on D8Bridge has stopped, well let's just say it's been hold for a while but I'm motivated to make it happen. I've attached to this post a screenshot of what D8Bridge 2.0 will look like. Thanks to Peter for the excellent graphics!

As you can see, gone is the small, lifeless config window... Now everything is menu driven (like a decent app). Can't sum up all the new features here now because I'm still adjusting stuff but let's just say that I'm seeing big for this one! :D

That's the news for now, I'll make new videos when I'm ready to show you guys the new stuff! Can't wait!

Cheers,

PS: Click on the picture below to see if full size! :)
Attachments
D8Bridge2Shot.jpg
D8Bridge2Shot.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 72262 times
Last edited by Marc Girard on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Re: D8Bridge Version 2.0 is progressing - Good news!

Postby RustyNotes » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Hell yes!! Goosebumps right now haha. Any estimated date for the release?
RustyNotes

Postby Recording Drummer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:44 pm

This was from another part of the forum.

You wrote:

What is "Phase 1" you ask? Well, D8Bridge version 2.0 will work quite differently than version 1.x. In v1.x you need my serial cable (custom pinout) and a USB to Serial adapter to interface with the D8B. This will be no more! In D8Bridge v2.0, the D8B will run it's own little "OS" and is converted into an Ethernet connectable appliance.

What's the beauty of this approach? There is NO hardware modification necessary and you can always revert back to your old MackieOS by simply ejecting the diskette that contains D8Bridge's OS. Simply put: I created a bootable floppy that converts any D8B into a connectable network server. The only cable you'll need is a standard RJ45/Ethernet cable!

Question Marc,

Will future versions ever be able to switch back and forth on the fly without a reboot of its original OS? I have a perfectly good working 3.0 console. It would be amazing with that convienience.

Thanks!

RD
Last edited by Recording Drummer on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Recording Drummer

Postby bitSync » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:55 pm

Grateful for the update post.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ProgKeys » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:45 am

Hey Marc,

I can help with the MAC side. I am well versed in xcode and the midi implementation on the MAC. Hit me up if you want my help especially now that it becomes a network appliance.
ProgKeys

Postby Marc Girard » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:40 pm

ProgKeys wrote:I can help with the MAC side. I am well versed in xcode and the midi implementation on the MAC. Hit me up if you want my help especially now that it becomes a network appliance.

Oh awesome! I might hold you on that! :) The new code base I'm writing for D8Bridge 2.0 supports mutli-platform/multi-architecture (x32/x64). So, *in theory*, it wouldn't be hard to add Mac support.

I did some tests with CoreAudio last year, I figured out the enumeration of the MIDI ports and such but I need pointers on how the MIDI packets works. If you can help on that matter, that'd be great!

Thanks!
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby ProgKeys » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Marc,

This might help:

Declared In
MIDIServices.h

MIDIPacketListAdd
Adds a MIDI event to a MIDIPacketList.
(MIDIPacket *) MIDIPacketListAdd (
MIDIPacketList *pktlist,
ByteCount listSize,
MIDIPacket *curPacket,
MIDITimeStamp time,
ByteCount nData,
const Byte *data
);

MIDIPacketListInit
Prepares a MIDIPacketList to be built up dynamically.
(MIDIPacket *) MIDIPacketListInit (
MIDIPacketList *pktlist
);

MIDIPacketNext
Advances a MIDIPacket pointer to the MIDIPacket that immediately follows a given packet in memory, for packets that are part of a MIDIPacketList array.
(MIDIPacket *) MIDIPacketNext (
MIDIPacket *pkt
);
ProgKeys

Postby MOSHWITZ » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:56 am

Sup?

Interesting,,, and nice screen Marc.

MOSHON
DAVE
MOSHWITZ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Recording Drummer wrote:Will future versions ever be able to switch back and forth on the fly without a reboot of its original OS? I have a perfectly good working 3.0 console. It would be amazing with that convienience.

D8Bridge 2.0 will be "Complete D8B Solution". Here's what I mean by this:

Case #1 -> If you have an old D8B with a broken computer, you can still use the serial cable and run D8Bridge 2.0 as a DAW controller. I've got many clients who's using D8Bridge like that. Now, D8Bridge 2.0 will have 3 protocols instead of just one. The classic MCU, HUI (for ProTools users) and generic MIDI Volumes (if you ever wanna control something that's not supported by MCU or HUI).

Case #2-> You have a working D8B computer. D8Bridge 2.0 is able to communicate via ethernet network instead of serial cabling. You'll be able to boot your D8B computer with a special diskette, bypassing the D8B OS (3.0 or 5.x). With the D8B CPU booted in "D8Bridge Mode", you'll be able to control your DAW and have basic audio functions of your board. If you ever need the full features of the D8B (EQs, plugins, etc). Simply eject the D8Bridge diskette and reboot, voila... D8B's back to normal operation.

I hope this clarifies the situation a bit. Let me know if you have questions!
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Postby Marc Girard » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:48 pm

ProgKeys wrote:Marc,

This might help:

Declared In
MIDIServices.h

Thanks for the code ProgKeys, we need to talk! ;) A Skype session maybe? :) Let me know what works for you via a private message. Thanks!
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
Marc Girard

Next

Return to D8Bridge Forum