Change font size   Print view

I hate Mackie (TT24 rant)

Discussion board for the TT24 users and sound reinforcement

I hate Mackie (TT24 rant)

Postby jeff92k7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:48 pm

I don't really hate them, but greatly dislike the way they handled the sunset of the TT24. It could have been a decent console if they continued to support it through firmware updates. As such, many user requests were never met and now we have a product that you can't get parts for any longer. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, since Mackie did the same thing with the SR40-8 and SR56-8 back in the 90's.

Now, with the loss of all the information about the TT24 that was on the forum, this product has become more of a liability to keep around. Unfortunately, ours continues to cling to life, in spite of numerous glitches and annoyances. It recently showed signs of being near death, and I hope it does finally give up sooner rather than later so I can dump it. We've already had two other TT24s fail on us so I'm eager to get rid of this last one.

Needless to say, it will be a long time (if ever) before Mackie makes it on my list of acceptable manufacturers again. They now join the likes of Behringer, Nady, Peavey, and Ross as brands I will not even consider for church equipment.

Jeff Foster
Technical Director
Northside Baptist Church
Carrollton, Texas
Freelance system designer/installer
jeff92k7

Re: I hate Mackie (TT24 rant)

Postby Red Carpet » Sun May 26, 2013 11:45 pm

last week i saw one i could buy it for 1000 euros luckely i left it where it was
do not want it anymore after reading alot of isseus
Red Carpet

Postby csp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:56 am

Jeff,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. knowing you from long ago, I am sorry to hear that you have had some problems and like you (from our Beta testing days) I am also sorry for the console's demise

Ours is still sitting in the "closed" theatre and probably would no longer power up --- the rats, opossums, etc doing whatever over it and the humidity within the venue (air con has been turned off for three years) woud not help !!!!!!!

Re your negativity about the Behringer products, can I seriously suggest that you have a look at the new X32 console. It is absolutely amazing and is leaving everything else in its path --- even a lot of the top of the line desks.

With Midas pre-amps and Klark-Teknik DSP and a US$20mil factory built in Germany specifically for its manufacture (no factory in China that will "burn down"!!!!!!!!!!!!) it is an absolute killer. AND the price is a fraction of what we paid for the TT24 all those years ago and if required it can be iPad controlled remotely (could be handy for you) and there is a digital snake available as well.

A GREAT DESK and like the TT24 is very easy to use.

Again, great to hear from you.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jeff92k7 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:25 pm

David,

How long have you used an x32? Have you had any issues with it at all? I see a lot of people online posting about how wonderful they are, but I'm still extremely hesitant just because of the name. I've been burned by that brand more times than I remember, so I'm very hesitant to even look at their products.

To replace our console, I need a console capable of 48 inputs (56 preferred) and simultaneous recording to computer (Dante preferred, but firewire or USB is acceptable). I've been looking at the Yamaha CL series, the Midas Pro series, and the Allen-Heath GLD and iLive series. I'm heavily leaning towards the Allen-Heath consoles for ease of use. Simplicity is extremely important with multiple volunteers.

Can your x32 do all that?

Jeff
Freelance system designer/installer
jeff92k7

Postby csp » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Jeff,

I do not own an X32, but have spoken to a number of people who do and have read/seen a number of reports and everything I hear says that the console is a world beater and like the TT24 is very easy to use, whereas other consoles are more suited to studio work (ie many layers to go through to get to do things, same fader does many things, etc -- in a live situation and under pressure these can be a problem, whereas in a studio situation time is not so important).

The 56 inputs (I presume mic inputs) would be a problem as it is basically a 32 mic input console. Like the TT24 it does have simultaneous recording capabilities (from memory I think it is ADAT and I think it has 24 track).

I first saw the iLive console a couple of years ago and was quite impressed, but from the demo I had, it was nowhere as easy to use as the TT24 and it was quite expensive (well in Australia at least).

I am going to be attending our biggest trade show in about four weeks and will be spending quite a bit of time looking at the latest (reasonably priced) desks on behalf of a client, so I will know a lot more after that.

Can I suggest that you contact your local Behringer distributor and ask if you (on behalf of the church) could borrow one for a week, as I am sure that from what I can glean, you will not be disappointed.

Although it sounds as if I work for Behringer (I do not), I have my own and have over the past twenty or so years used quite a bit of Behringer gear and have never had a problem. About two years ago I set up (for a local community organisation) a smallish complete Behringer equipped studio (48-8-2 desk, Truth monitors, all Behringer mics and Behringer outboard gear) only non Behringer parts are the Alesis HD24 and Masterlink. The studio is working almost 24/7 and not a failure.

By the way, I chose the Behringer gear because I believed that it was very reliable and was obtainable at a very good price when compared to most other equipment available --- unfortunately, in Australia we do not have any Guitar Centre, Musicians Friend, Sweetwater type outlets that buy in bulk and therefore get good prices that they can pass on to their customers, so our prices are high (eg when the theatre bought its TT24 our buying price was about $Aus13K --- about $US14K and I know it was nothing like that price in the US at the time).

I will be most interested to know which way you finally go.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to TT24 and sound reinforcement