Change font size   Print view

HDR Crashing 2

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

HDR Crashing 2

Postby Phil.c » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Just had this from WD.

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Support.

I want to apologize but there is no jumper setting which can force down the capacity size of the drive. But you can try to make a 32 GB partition on the drive and then you can try to use the drive onto the Mackie HDR.

Any ideas....anybody, how to do this !!!

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: HDR Crashing 2

Postby Old School » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:14 am

I have a 20GB Drive that I can load with OS 1.4 for you if you would like to trade drives or you could buy the upgrade eprom from ebay and your unit will recognize the larger drive that you have. Just be sure to follow the upgrade instructions
carefully. You could also buy a 32GB solid state drive (around 40 bucks on ebay) and a satall to ide mother board bridge,
(the mk-905 from cablesonline is about 20 bucks). This type adapter is the only one I have been able to get the HDR to recognize because it has the Master, Slave, Cableselect jumper on it and an SSD has no jumpers.

Good luck and hope this was helpful
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks for your help Mike and for the HD swap offer, let me try to get my head around a few things before I decide which way i'm going with this!

Can you enlighten me with the mk-905, I assume that the the original HD power supply and the multi connector plug into it, am I right in thinking that the 32GB solid state plugs into the other side?
Can you please send me a link to the 32gb solid state that you use.

I notice that the BIOS upgrade on eBay is $119!

Thanks again,

Phil

PS I assume this is all the same for a D8b as I have a dual setup.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Yes, a sata ll type ssd wil plug into the other side of the bridge adapter, go to www.cablesonline.com and search for MK-905. I think its about 15 dollars. You can find new and used Sata ll type ssd's on ebay for under 50 bucks, I've had good luck with used OZC, but Crucial, Kingspec and Sans Disc are also reliable. I just secured mine to the same tray the original IDE drive sat in with a bit of double sided tape. Don't forget to set the jumper on the adapter to master. Oh, one other thing, sometimes I find that even on a new disk, they have created a partition, all partitions need to be deleted or the HDR will not recognize the drive, so make sure the disk is totally raw and you should have no problems.

Good luck,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks Mike.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member