Change font size   Print view

HDR Crashing

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

HDR Crashing

Postby Phil.c » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:09 pm

After over twelve years of use without hardly any problems one of my HDR's is crashing after a few minutes and on different projects it freezes.

New battery fitted, BIOS ok, and cards/connectors re-seated.

When it crashes, and only then, I get a crick,crick, crick, crick sound fro the hard drive, I remember getting this many years ago with a crash. Any Idea's.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: HDR Crashing

Postby Petersueco » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Sounds like your HD is about to die. The Click Of Death.

Replace the HD and reinstall OS would be my first advise.

Good Luck.
Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Old School » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:36 am

If you have projects on this drive you wish to save, after you remove it from the HDR you can connect it to your computer via ide to usb connector and save your projects to your computer. Usually these ide drives can still be read even after they start "the click of death". Then you can transfer them back to one of your external drives by the same method. Hope this is helpful.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:18 am

Thanks guys for the replies.

I have just loaded in the OS just to try but after a few play, stop and fwd's it crashed again, luckily, I can still backup to external.

Some months ago I bought a few of these which were recommended by a forum member.

Western Digital WD Blue WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

There's info on the net about jumping down, but I can't find out how to get to 32gb?

Phil

EDIT:- I've put in the HD and i've tried all sorts of jump combinations, the disks are loading but at the end I get "Memory extraction error" I need to know the right combination?

I've PM'd "CaptainAmerica" who has used the same HD and gave me the link, i'm hoping for a reply re. the jumper, if he's still a forum member that is!

EDIT again:- Lots of info on how to use jumpers for master/slave etc, but absolutely nothing on 80GBs to 32GBs :(

EDIT again:- This is the jumper settup for WD, I can't see jumper positions to reduce fro 80GB to 32GB anywhere, is it me?

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2579-0​01037.pdf
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders