Change font size   Print view

FTP - Win7 Connection Problem

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

FTP - Win7 Connection Problem

Postby nagnila » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi,

I have trouble to connect my PC (Win7 Ultimate - 64bit) to my HDR using FTP.
I saw some topics but none of the explanations were able to solve my problem.

I try to connect them using my onboard ethernet adapter: Realtek PCIE GBE Family controller.
It is working good when connecting to internet etc.

As mentioned before in instructions and comments;

- I have 2 ethernet cables (normal & crossed, tried both of them but any success..)
- Modified TCP/IP-4 settings (same Subnet & Gateway adresses as HDR)
- Disabled firewire
- CuteFTP software
- FTP Server running on HDR in Turbo mode

When I try to ping 10.10.28.20 (HDR's IP) from command prompt I get the message: "Host adress in unreachable" and Cute FTP says: "The connection failed due to an error or timeout"

Is there anyone who is able to make connection or transfer files using Win7?

Thank you
nagnila

Re: FTP - Win7 Connection Problem

Postby motophiliac » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Yeah, I managed to transfer some audio to and from my HDR recently.

My guess is that the IP address you've given the HDR is outside the subnet on your Windows machine.

There's a simple way to maximise your chance of connecting to the HDR. First, you will need to know the network IP address of your Windows PC. You can find this from your command prompt by entering the command:

ipconfig

This will now list a bunch of network settings and information. You're looking for the IP address of your Realtek adapter. This is your computer's network IP address.

What I do here is set the HDR's IP address as close as I can to the PC's address. If my PC's address were 192.168.0.2, I might set the HDR's IP address to 192.168.0.12, or some other address which I'm confident isn't used elsewhere on the network. I tend to leave my Windows machine's address as is. Changing the HDR's IP address is simple to do from the GUI/monitor/mouse and there will also be a way to change the IP from the recorder's front panel.

Check out page 174 of the Technical Reference Manual: http://www.mackie.com/pdf/hdr_techref.pdf
motophiliac

Re: FTP - Win7 Connection Problem

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:21 pm

motophiliac wrote:Yeah, I managed to transfer some audio to and from my HDR recently.

My guess is that the IP address you've given the HDR is outside the subnet on your Windows machine.

There's a simple way to maximise your chance of connecting to the HDR. First, you will need to know the network IP address of your Windows PC. You can find this from your command prompt by entering the command:

ipconfig

This will now list a bunch of network settings and information. You're looking for the IP address of your Realtek adapter. This is your computer's network IP address.

What I do here is set the HDR's IP address as close as I can to the PC's address. If my PC's address were 192.168.0.2, I might set the HDR's IP address to 192.168.0.12, or some other address which I'm confident isn't used elsewhere on the network. I tend to leave my Windows machine's address as is. Changing the HDR's IP address is simple to do from the GUI/monitor/mouse and there will also be a way to change the IP from the recorder's front panel.

Check out page 174 of the Technical Reference Manual: http://www.mackie.com/pdf/hdr_techref.pdf

Motophiliac is correct here; what should be stressed is getting things setup with the same Class C network that the Windoze 7 machine (or any other machine, for that matter) - their isn't any 'trust' at the network level for the 10.x.x.x Class A addys on the Class A 192.168.x.x network; No Bueno. Mostly your going to see Windoze jump on the 192.168.1.x Class C as Default when it's installed, and the machine will get a DHCP address; the easiest and most reliable thing to do is what motophiliac suggested by running 'ipconfig /all' at a DOS command prompt. Just take notice of the network adapter that's installed:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
IPv4 Address : 192.168.1.x (Preferred)

Pay attention to the first 3 octets (192.168.1), the Class A, B & C subnets - write them down if you have to. These are what you'll need to setup HDR's FTP Server. The 'x' is the Class D unique address assigned to the Windoze boxen, it's been dynamically allocated by your router (if you're on a pre-existing network) - we'll assume 114 for this discussion. So, with the Windoze machine having a 192.168.1.114 addy, just pick something between 2 and 253 (DO NOT use 254 or 255, you'll fuck up your current routing BADLY) - make sure it's a number that's not to close to the number of the Windoze boxen - say 192.168.1.50. Enter the following into the HDR's FTP Server settings:

IP Address : 192.168.1.50
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.1.1
Turbo FTP is ON (Checkbox selected/checked)

... and click the 'Apply' button.

You should be Golden, and never have to touch this again... :ugeek:

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders