Change font size   Print view

SSD conversion for HDR

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Re: SSD conversion for HDR

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:27 am

Hi Dok;

Found these adaptor on ebay. Ordered 4 @ $3.85 each (including shipping). Got them today and they work. NOW, they are backwards, so I will need to find/make short extensions for the IDE and 4 Pin power cord as I had to twist the cables to connect..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-3-5-Drive-S ... OC:CA:3160

Delivered faster than they said. No import charges.

Later
Bruce

"One guitar more than I have, is one less than enough"
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Bruce Graham wrote:Hi Dok;

Found these adaptor on ebay. Ordered 4 @ $3.85 each (including shipping). Got them today and they work. NOW, they are backwards, so I will need to find/make short extensions for the IDE and 4 Pin power cord as I had to twist the cables to connect..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-3-5-Drive-S ... OC:CA:3160

Delivered faster than they said. No import charges.

Later
Bruce

"One guitar more than I have, is one less than enough"

Awesomeness, Bruce... ;-)

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doug » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:34 pm

My second post to the forum after putting a post on the D8B forum about replacing the hard disk with a CF card.

While I was doing that upgrade I decided to replace my HDR hard disk with a 64GB 2.5 ins SSD disk. I purchased a SanDisk ISA 3 disk but I would suspect any other ISA 3 disk would work. I purchased a StarTech '40 pin Male IDE to 2.5/3.5 in Sata Converter' to convert the SATA interface to IDE. This adapter has a jumper for setting master/slave and also includes the necessary power cables. I also purchased hardware to allow the 2.5ins disk to be fitted in the 3.5 ins bay in the HDR.

After fitting the SSD into the HDR I powered up but the HDR did not recognise the disk. I had to put the disk into a desktop CPU in order to 'initialise' (Mackie call this conditioning) it and set up a 'primary partition' which the Mackie operating system install cannot do. I used the 'disk management' functions of the desktop in order to set up a primary bootable partition on the SSD. The disk manager asked me whether I wanted to format it as well but the only format option was NTFS. I accepted this even though I knew the disk needed to be FAT32 for the HDR to work.

I made sure the first disk of the HDR 1.4 operating system diskettes had 'format:yes' set on so the new disk would be correctly re-formatted to FAT32. I put the SSD back into the HDR. When I powered on the HDR, with the diskette in the drive, the SSD was recognised and the operating system started loading. It asked if I wanted to format the disk and I said yes. Everything then loaded up correctly.

The new SSD works well as is silent. I hope this is of use. I have had very useful input from the forum even though I have not contributed before.
doug

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:46 am

Hi Doug;

I am looking for the hardware to use a 2.5" SSD in the 3.5" Caddy. Could you tell me where you got yours and a part number if possible?

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby trs » Fri May 01, 2015 3:50 am

Im interested in converting to solid state drives. Is there any instructions available to help me construct an ssd for the hdr?
trs

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu May 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Hey TRS;

Check this thread. The answer to your "Q" is here.

There is no other source of info that I have found.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu May 14, 2015 1:43 pm

I am thinking about going down this road with my wonky HDR as well, just to see if it is doable.

Bruce, did you mean to link in the thread above? I see nothing to take me anywhere.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu May 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Hey Crash.

No, I was suggesting that this thread "SSD Conversion for HDR" had everything I needed in it to use an SSD as an external drive.

My problem was finding the IDE to SATA adaptor IN CANADA! I found 1 on Amazon, which I bought (works great), but couldn't get any more. The others I sourced from China and am currently trying to find the time to do a full test on it. Full meaning 24 tracks of record with punch in's and out's and in's and out's to see how they handle it.

You have to make sure that the drive and the adaptor is SATA I or SATA II, not SATA III. It, apparently, will not work.

Anyway, I had no trouble with the install of the drive. I am hoping to replace the internal HD of my d8b's and HDR. Should make them quieter, and Lord knows we need less noise in out lives.

Hope that helps and post back if you want specifics.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri May 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri May 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Hey Crash;

Looks like this..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IDE-to-SATA-Hard ... 56711a04dd

or this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pata-IDE-To-Sata ... 563b20500e

or this... This one has the Master / Slave / Cable jumpers which is what was recommend to me by Mike. I;m sure you can get one at Amazon USA.
http://www.amazon.ca/Kingwin-ADP-06-SAT ... de+adapter

Post back if you have other Q's.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders