Change font size   Print view

Lost Transport

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Lost Transport

Postby OregonTom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Hello all,

Long time no chat. Hi Steve T. I had to revisit a project on the HDR. My transport is not working from the D8b to control the HDR. I hooked up my remote 24 and it works for starting playback but stopping does not work. I have checked and replaced all midi cable connections from D8b to to HDR, all is well as far as nothing is bad. But since the remote 24 doesn't work, I am assuming it is the HDR. Any help appreciated and Happy Holidays all.

Tom
OregonTom

Re: Lost Transport

Postby OregonTom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Anyone home here?
OregonTom

Postby synthjoe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:41 pm

23 views, so I guess yes... But probably nobody knows the answer. I would think of looking at the BIOS settings of the d8b (ISA interrupt, in particular). You might want to hook up a computer with MIDI-OX installed to the d8b MIDI output, so that you can monitor whether it is sending someting/anything when operating the controls. You can also hook this same computer to the HDR and see whether transport functions work from MIDI-OX (there's a MTC generator in it, plus you can send transport control commands, while monitoring data on outputs and inputs at the same time).

Nothing better I can suggest for the time being, I'm afraid...
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OregonTom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:50 am

Thank you for your response. Well you steered me in the right direction. After reading your post, I checked the bios on the HDR. It was the bios, and a dead HDR Battery but normal boot ups, very strange, but the HDR was unused for a long time. After following instructions on battery install and re entering of the bios settings, all is well. Thanks so much!
OregonTom

Postby synthjoe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:45 am

Good to hear! Thanks for reporting and enjoy!
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OregonTom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:34 am

Ok bad news, the fix didn't last. Ugh. Transport on the HDR does not work after about 2 minutes of playback now. Communication to D8b and Remote 24 stopped and will not resume. HDR will not record enable from Remote as well. I rechecked all bios settings on both machines and all is to spec. So, who can you recommend to do HDR repairs, it is beyond my troubleshooting abilities. I did the the song I needed off to protools so I can work, but need the HDR repaired. Thanks all.
OregonTom

Postby OregonTom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:16 am

Update: I missed one bios setting, IRQ9 on the HDR was assigned to ISA PnP, I change that to Legacy ISA and transport has now returned from D8b to HDR. Record enable still will not work from D8b to HDR. The Bios data sheet I downloaded from Mackie does not match exactly all the items listed so my mother board or bios may differ from the data sheet reference. Is that an IRQ setting that affects record enable, I thought all that was serial communication with the midi break out cables. Frustrating.
OregonTom

Postby OregonTom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:27 am

And all resolved. Parallel port was enabled on D8b. Once that was disabled, all is well. What this taught me to to pay attention to CMOS batteries and don't assume the devices default to usable settings. My old eyes didn't catch my first errors on it when I reviewed the settings. All is good in HDR land again.
OregonTom

Postby synthjoe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:55 am

IRQ assignment is critical - good thing you've managed to figure it out on your own, not a trivial one...
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:12 am

I'm new to the world of the D8B & HDR. Having some trouble with a couple aspects for the combo. Transport controls work, but track arming only works for track 1 to 8. 9 to 24 will not arm from D8B. There are other odities with the HDR but I have not explored them in detail. I tried disabling the parllel port but that didn't change anything. Does anyone have any idea's? or do I need to post more detail.
TKS from Canada.
Schoolhouse Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders