Change font size   Print view

Unhandled pci interrupt

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Unhandled pci interrupt

Postby Old School » Fri May 19, 2023 10:37 pm

Hi All,
I have recently encountered a new problem with my HDR. When booting up, it says "unhandled PCI interrupt" and when it finishes booting, and I try to open a project, the audio files are there but the project file folder (the one that looks like a page and brings up those audio files in their proper time place on the screen) is not. The first couple of times, I just rebooted and all was fine, but today it did it in the middle of a session. The screen went black, said "unhandled pci interrupt and rebooted itself. I have searched the internet, but cannot find a straight answer to the question; is this a hardware problem or a software problem? And if it's hardware, is it motherboard related or hard drive related?
Thanks to anyone who has this information.

Have a blessed day.
Mike
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Unhandled pci interrupt

Postby doktor1360 » Mon May 22, 2023 9:38 pm

Old School wrote:Hi All,
I have recently encountered a new problem with my HDR. When booting up, it says "unhandled PCI interrupt" and when it finishes booting, and I try to open a project, the audio files are there but the project file folder (the one that looks like a page and brings up those audio files in their proper time place on the screen) is not. The first couple of times, I just rebooted and all was fine, but today it did it in the middle of a session. The screen went black, said "unhandled pci interrupt and rebooted itself. I have searched the internet, but cannot find a straight answer to the question; is this a hardware problem or a software problem? And if it's hardware, is it motherboard related or hard drive related?
Thanks to anyone who has this information.

Have a blessed day.
Mike

That is looking to be, unfortunately, hardware related Mike... the PCI interrupt (Peripheral Component Interconnect) signal not being handled would indicate some piece of hardware isn't behaving like it should be. Something is messaging the PCI controller with a request that can't be handled because the interrupt isn't defined and/or hasn't been assigned - that's really a funky runtime error. The fact your monitor displayed the black screen of death and the recorder rebooted itself is troubling. Is the power supply a suspect? Or maybe the motherboard and/or disk? Or something on or attached to the motherboard? Any of these are a 'maybe', but it could be something simpler too. I'd personally start with making sure the power supply is OK, and then dive into the innards with at least the knowledge that that voltages are correct and/or stable...

You knew I was gonna caveat this for transparency purposes tho:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Tue May 23, 2023 2:25 am

Thanks for the info! I think I may have a clue now as to what the problem is related to. Today, when booting up my system, my D8B did the same thing! Not being one to believe in coincidence, it occurred to me that they have only one piece of hardware in common and that has recently changed. My KVM switch of many years bit the dust recently and I read somewhere on this forum that the Aten KVM was a good choice as it allows you to use a wireless usb mouse and keyboard. At first everything was fine when using this unit, but recently, following instructions in the manual, I enabled switching by pressing the scroll button on the mouse twice. That's about the time that all this began. Do you think this could be the problem?

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:07 am

Old School wrote:Thanks for the info! I think I may have a clue now as to what the problem is related to. Today, when booting up my system, my D8B did the same thing! Not being one to believe in coincidence, it occurred to me that they have only one piece of hardware in common and that has recently changed. My KVM switch of many years bit the dust recently and I read somewhere on this forum that the Aten KVM was a good choice as it allows you to use a wireless usb mouse and keyboard. At first everything was fine when using this unit, but recently, following instructions in the manual, I enabled switching by pressing the scroll button on the mouse twice. That's about the time that all this began. Do you think this could be the problem?

Have a blessed day,
Mike

I'd say that's something to look at - I have an Aten KVM myself (love it!), and have zero issues with it. I just use the {tap}{tap} method on either of the <CTRL> keys to switch mine. That USB signal might not be supported, maybe only the basic USB 1.1 driver support?!? Dunno, but that point you made about the mouse middle button makes the most sense...

If you test that, let me know how you make out... it's something I'll definitely make a mental note of and not implement that on my end... *grinning*
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Thu May 25, 2023 1:39 am

Hi Dok,
Looks like that was it. I disabled the mouse scroll command and switched it to [ctrl] {ctrl] [enter]. No problems since then. it's not as quick as just tapping the scroll wheel, but works without issue. Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of hardware!

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Thu May 25, 2023 3:52 pm

Old School wrote:Hi Dok,
Looks like that was it. I disabled the mouse scroll command and switched it to [ctrl] {ctrl] [enter]. No problems since then. it's not as quick as just tapping the scroll wheel, but works without issue. Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of hardware!

Have a blessed day,
Mike

Too kewl, Mike... the moment I read about your KVM switch, Spidey Sense started to tingle. I'd have to say you've tested the limitations of the USB drivers shipped with the operating system :D and it's safe to say it has USB 1.1 driver support at best. I'd have to agree it's mildly inconvenient, but at the end of the day to have the convenience of wireless comm (ie less wire clutter) in a way negates that slight nuisance...

At any rate, just payin' it forward man... glad I could be of assistance...

All the best! ;)
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders