Change font size   Print view

MDR/HDR OS

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

MDR/HDR OS

Postby gowinestone » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:14 am

Is there any way to load MDR/HDR OS without using floppies?
gowinestone

Re: MDR/HDR OS

Postby John T » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:40 pm

Yes, but it's a bit of a process.

First, you have to have the installed version of the OS, *not* the installer files that go on the floppy disk. I keep a copy of those here in case I need them. No idea whether this is the same for MDR; I can't see why they wouldn't be, but can't confirm it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b0acbpsqzbsx ... fEx_a?dl=0

Then you just copy those files into the root of the *internal* (ie not the removable) drive of the HDR.

In order to do this, you need to open up the unit, get the drive out, and attach it to a computer you can copy the files from. You'll either need a PC that's old enough to have an IDE connector for the drive, or some kind of adapter.
John T

Postby machmike » Sun May 26, 2024 8:32 am

Is the HDR OS drive a FAT32 formatted drive?

Do I just copy those 3 files to the root?

MackieOS.exe
PME.sys
System (folder)
machmike

Postby Y-my-R » Mon May 27, 2024 1:39 am

When formatting via the "format:on" command during floppy installation, a custom boot sector is written that the HDR/MDR OS requires to work.

When formatting as FAT32 or NTFS (I honestly don't remember right now which it is... but I really think it doesn't matter, here) via a Windows/Linux/Mac computer, the "standard" boot sector for the appropriate file format is used... which will cause a boot failure, even if all the files from a proper installation are copied to the internal drive.

You CAN clone the original HDR harddrive via an app that clones including the boot sector... if such a clone is written back to a new harddrive or CF card, etc., then it will boot. But NOT if formatted from Windows, etc.

So, if you're trying to get around having to use floppies or a disk image for installation... sorry... formatting via Windows etc. and then copying over the file will NOT work... no matter if it's supposed to be NTFS or FAT16 or FAT32.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders