Change font size   Print view

Transport Inssue

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Transport Inssue

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:07 am

Hi All;

I am having a issue with one of my HDR's.

Once booted, the HDR acts as it should for about 3 to 5 minutes, then the transport controls no longer function.

The front panel, remote-24 and d8b no longer control the HDR. It continues to play and turning the power off is the only options. It boots up correctly. Operating properly for the 3 to 5 minutes and the transport controls stop working, again.

Before I begin to try to fix this, I was wondring if anyone as come accross this or does anyone have a possible solution or suggestions?

I will start with the usual things, battery, BIOS settings, cable reseating, etc.

Thanks for any assistance.
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Transport Inssue

Postby Old School » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:20 pm

Hi Bruce,
I had this exact problem before and I think I had to reinstall the OS. By the way, did the sata adapter arrive yet?

Have a blessed day,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:58 pm

Hey Mike;
Thanks. I will reinstall and see what happens (Hope my floppies are still good?)'

No adaptor yet! I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. Thanks again!
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:03 pm

Sadly, I'm gonna double-down with Mike here, Bruce...

How I eventually got around this whole debacle a few years back was booting to an 8GB CF, and recording on the external drive in the caddy; SSD's there for the moment, I also have multiple caddy's so it's really not too cumbersome to date...

To provide a very recent (as of Thursday) case in point, my gear has been stored for 3-4 years due to circumstances beyond my control, but I digress. I booted each of the D8B & HDR after changing the CMOS battery(s) and changing the BIOS configs, and they came right up without issue. They both have floppy emulators and non-hard disk media running the latest OS images respectively, so they've actually proven to be quite stable, and highly recommended...

However, as always you knew it was coming, so here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:26 am

Hi Mike and Dok;
I am hoping. fingers crossed, to upgrade my 2nd HDR to a Compact Flash, and convert as many of my Caddies to SSD's as I can afford to do. Getting the right IDIE to SATA adaptor is my first step.

I have tried, over and over, to convert my d8b to CF hard drive and Floppy Emulator. The Emulator works, although I haven't had to us it, but I could newver get the CF to work. Software appeared to be installed but the CPU would not find it.

I am lead to believe, that the issue is prehaps, that my d8b, at the time, was a 166MHz MB. I now have a newer desk which has the 300MHz MB so I may take a run at it again.

I thought I would start with the CF upgrade on my 2nd HDR as it has the 300MHz MB and take it from there. If it works I will do my main HDR and my perhaps the d8b.

I am not very computer savie but am not afraid to "change the oil or replace a water pump".

Does this sound like a reasonable approarch?

Cheers lads.
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:20 pm

Bruce Graham wrote:Hi Mike and Dok;
I am hoping. fingers crossed, to upgrade my 2nd HDR to a Compact Flash, and convert as many of my Caddies to SSD's as I can afford to do. Getting the right IDIE to SATA adaptor is my first step.

I have tried, over and over, to convert my d8b to CF hard drive and Floppy Emulator. The Emulator works, although I haven't had to us it, but I could newver get the CF to work. Software appeared to be installed but the CPU would not find it.

I am lead to believe, that the issue is prehaps, that my d8b, at the time, was a 166MHz MB. I now have a newer desk which has the 300MHz MB so I may take a run at it again.

I thought I would start with the CF upgrade on my 2nd HDR as it has the 300MHz MB and take it from there. If it works I will do my main HDR and my perhaps the d8b.

I am not very computer savie but am not afraid to "change the oil or replace a water pump".

Does this sound like a reasonable approarch?

Cheers lads.
Bruce

More than reasonable, Bruce, I'd definitely say have a go at it... you certainly have basic mechanical skills, the rest is just having the correct parts. I can recommend a few things here based on how I've personally got things physically configured:

For the boot media (primary) on both the D8B & HDR, I use one of these because I don't really have any reason to open one of these damn things again except for cleaning them now and then. So, in the very odd event I require physical access to the boot media it's just an ejector switch on the back plane away. After removing a card bracket on the rear of the cpu, just screw this into the empty slot on the back panel to give yourself external access. Then just run the IDE cable to this instead of the hard disk. I use available and reliable SanDisk 8GB CF cards here:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2785

For the external caddy of the HDR, I'm currently using SSD's but I'm considering the conversion to CF cards. For that, I would first consider the hardware and I'll use these two links to reference parts that look as if they'd fit the bill:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2105
https://www.newegg.com/orico-ac325-1s-3-5-to-1x2-5/p/0VE-000W-00006

That aluminum tray will easily fit inside the hard drive caddy for getting the whole assembly mounted once complete, I use them now with the SSD's. However, mounting that IDE-2-CF adapter is gonna require a bit of work. There's a few pieces of hardware that ship with tray that will help, along with some fabrication skills and maybe a coupla spacer/coupler nut standoffs. Once that's all worked out, it's just connect the power and data cables from inside the caddy up to the adapter. All this for ~ $25, give or take...

Next is the CF cards themselves - I've never addressed this for recording and having things recognize the extended drive partitions for larger disks. As I understand things, there's a specific CF card that has to be used in order to get this functionality worked out - if memory serves there's a thread here for that somewhere. If you (or anyone else reading this) knows or finds that link, please include the cross reference here - that may (or may not) help somebody else researching this topic...

Whatcha think? Would love to hear any constructive feedback, suggestions, etc...

:ugeek:
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:57 am

Hey DOK;
I will send you a PM. The forum "quick Reply" keeps clearing what I type! GRRRRRR. Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:30 am

Hi all;

Reinstalld the OS and the Transport issue went away, but.....

It doesn't recognise SSD drives larger than 32gB. I beleive that is the firmware chip!

The FTP doesn't connect either, so both my my HDR's either have defective Ethernet cards or I'm doing something wrong. Likely the later.

If anyone can tell me all the setting in Windows XP that will allow total access to anything maybe that will do the trick. I get the meassage “Windows can not access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder."

As always, thanks for any help.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:03 am

Hi Bruce,
What I have experienced is that you have to use a certain syntax for the name of the connection, I think its HDR_2496 The underline dash seems to be important, but I will check tomorrow night when I get back to the studio.

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:12 pm

Hey Mike;
Thanks for the reply. I will give that I try.
Look forward to hearing back and I'll let you know how I did
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders