Change font size   Print view

FTP

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Re: FTP

Postby Old School » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:44 am

Hi Bruce,
I am using windows XP and in the security settings for the firewall (even though I had the firewall set to "OFF") I set it to allow everything. Then I Changed the Ip address on the HDR ( the Hdr allows you to do this) to an address 8 digits higher than the ip address of my computer, I then went to network places and clicked on "add a connection" when it asked for an address I typed ftp://169.74.69.18 (the address of my computer + 8) and when asked to name the connection I named it the same thing. Then when I go to network places this connection is listed and when I click on it the menu comes right up.

Hope this helps,
Have a blessed day,
Mike
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Hi Mike;

I will give this a try thanks.

I am not that computer savvy as I grew up in a era of no computers for the bulk of my life so any detailed help is good.

When you stated "I set it to allow everything", is there some more detail in there that would help me tom know what to change XP to, to allow everything to have access? Sorry for having to ask. Hopefully is its not too much to note the changes that need to be nade.

Thanks Mike
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:10 pm

Hi all;
Here I go again!
I am attempting, again, to connect my HDR to a computer to take advantage of file transfers.

This time I have a Windows 7 machine and am competly lost as how to connect the HDR. I have never set up a network with Windows 7 so if anyone has knowledge as how to do this I will required step by step instructions to making the connection.

Thanks in advance.

For those of you who assisted me getting my netork connection going with XP, filezilla, or anyother FTP software, none of it work as I have no idea how to make it work, Using Mike Rivers book, I was able to get it to work but then it quit and no luck since. I purchased a second HDR and could not get it to work either. This hopefully ruled out the network card in the HDR. I assumed they work as I have no way to test them.

Agin thanks for any help or advice.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Jondav1120 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:44 pm

Hi Bruce,

There are several things to consider when networking devices together:

1. The physical arrangement - are you connecting the HDR and the computer directly? Or, is there an ethernet switch between them?
If directly connected there is a small possibility that you may need a "crossover cable". Someone else may be able to clarify this, but I think the ethernet interface in the HDR doesn't support auto MDI/MDX. However, providing that the ethernet interface in your Windows 7 computer does support auto MDI/MDX (and pretty much all do, unless it is very old!), then a standard cable should work fine.
The other option is to connect the two units through a switch. This removes any possibility of needing a "crossover cable" as all connections are then made with standard ethernet cables.

2. IP addressing - this is slightly dependent upon the previous point...So, if you are directly connecting the units together you will need to set up the IP addressing on both units. There are two critical settings in this instance the "IP address" and the "Subnet Mask". The IP Address must be different (e. g. one unit would be set to 192.168.0.20, and the second unit would be set to 192.168.0.21), and it is the the last number that needs to be different. The Subnet Mask should be set the same on both units (e. g. both set to 255.255.255.0).
If you are connecting through a switch there is a possibility that there is a DHCP server running on the switch. If you know that there is no DHCP server then both units will need manual configuration in the same way as for direct connection. In the situation where there is a DHCP server this will usually configure the computer's ethernet interface automatically, but will not do the same for the HDR ethernet interface. This will still need to be configured manually to match the settings that the DHCP server has given the computer. You need to find what settings the server has given to the computer and set the IP Address to a different value and the Subnet Mask to the same value. This has the potential to create an "IP Address conflict", which is the situation where something else on the network has the same IP address as the manually configured unit. This can be avoided by logging in to the switch and checking the "DHCP allocation table" (might be called something slightly different) to see what IP addresses are currently in use. Alternately, use a higher numbered IP address, as most DHCP servers that I have come across allocate the addresses from a low range (for example...if you find your computer has been given an IP address of 192.168.0.7, then set the HDR to an IP address of 192.168.0.200). This should avoid the range that the DHCP server uses.
Make a note of the IP address that you set it to as this is needed for configuring the FTP client.

On the HDR itself...don't press the "continue" button until you have finished with the FTP server. This has caught me out more times than I care to admit. This is Mackie's comment on the subject (copied from the HDR Technical Manual.
Don’t press (or click on) the Continue button just yet! That doesn’t mean “Continue with the FTP
procedure”, it means “Continue using the HDR24/96 as a recorder” (which is currently disabled).
The FTP server takes over when it’s running and you can’t do anything else while you’re transferring
files. When you’re finished with your FTP session, that’s the time to press the Continue button to get
back to recording.

FTP Clients...I have used several over the years, Filezilla, WinSCP, and a couple of others whose names evade me at the moment. All of them worked for me, but I generally use Filezilla nowadays.

Hope that helps...

Best regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:37 am

Hi John;
Thanks for this. I will give it a try tonight!.
Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:52 pm

Hey again;
I find myself still lost in the world of computer networking. Thanks to John for providing the details above but I am unable to add my d8b or HDR to a computers network.

What I am trying to do add my d8b and my HDR's to a network, so I can backup drive without removing the removable drives from the HDR's and files from my d8b.

What I started with was a direct eithernet cable (Crossover) from the Windows 10 computer to an HDR.
Put the HDR in FTP mode
Clicked on the Windows 10 Start button, it opened
Clicked on Computer, it opened
Right clicked on the "computer" icon on the left hand side of the window
From the list, selecter "Add a network location"
The "Add Network Location" wizzard opened, I click "next"
This yeilded a Broadband location. No idea what to do. closed it

I then chose "Map a Location"
This yeilded a choice of a drive letter. I chose "G"
Typed in "ftp://10.10.28.20" (IP addresss of my HDR). Said "name was wrong" or "name could not be found".
Typed in "10.10.28.20", Said "Name was wrong", or "name could not be found".

None of this worked so I tried my d8b and yeilded the same responses.

What am I missing?
Thanks for any help!
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Jondav1120 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:24 pm

Hi Bruce,

Can you bring up a command prompt on the computer, and type in "ipconfig" (without the quotes).
2022-03-04.png
2022-03-04.png (Array KiB) Viewed 2704 times

You should get something like the above...

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:59 am

Hi John, and Mike;

I was able to get this all working. Two HD's and One d8b. I'm sure when I get the second d8b working, I'm sure it will be easy to add it to he network. This all works through a router! All patchable!

I plan on creating a document about how I got it to work, but that will take a day or 2.

The thing that made it work in the end was the IP address. The 10.10.28.20 doesn't seem to work with Windows 7.
I used much bigger numbers line 192.254.20.0 (something like that), then worked. I just changed the 20 to a 25 for the 2nd HDR and then the 20 to a 40 for the d8b, All other number remain the same.

Just wanted to say thanks for your help and encouragement.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:03 pm

Bruce Graham wrote:Hi John, and Mike;

I was able to get this all working. Two HD's and One d8b. I'm sure when I get the second d8b working, I'm sure it will be easy to add it to he network. This all works through a router! All patchable!

I plan on creating a document about how I got it to work, but that will take a day or 2.

The thing that made it work in the end was the IP address. The 10.10.28.20 doesn't seem to work with Windows 7.
I used much bigger numbers line 192.254.20.0 (something like that), then worked. I just changed the 20 to a 25 for the 2nd HDR and then the 20 to a 40 for the d8b, All other number remain the same.

Just wanted to say thanks for your help and encouragement.

Cheers
Bruce

Figured I would jump in here, Bruce... apologies for any disrespect...

Here's how to connect to your gear, illustrated for macOS (using latest - Monterey 12.3); keep in mind Filezilla is identical in functionality and most appearance in both Windows n Linux. I've tested this with both macOS and Linux, took about 20 minutes because I did some tests NOT using Filezilla on each platform just for veracity. Linux with a command line shell window, and macOS with the Finder utility - the caveat with Finder is it's read-only (downloads enabled). Therefore, with the MacOS you'll have to use Filezilla or any other compliant application.

First, retrieve the networking data values required for a Filezilla connection. I got the network data from the 'Network' dialog, click the 'Advanced' button on the bottom right:- just reference John's 'ipconfig' DOS command window from this thread for the networking data required for Windows. Use the 'ifconfig' command from a command line on Linux...

In the macOS 'Network' dialog mentioned above, click the 'Advanced' button on the bottom right:

network_settings_macos.png
network_settings_macos.png (Array KiB) Viewed 2675 times

network_settings_advanced_macos.png
network_settings_advanced_macos.png (Array KiB) Viewed 2675 times

I would write this stuff down unless you've got a really good memory. Put it into a temporary text file so you can quickly copy n paste as necessary. Once you're done, just shitcan the temp file.

The Filezilla part is easy enuff, and I'm gonna assume the application is installed and running. The router gateway address defines the accessible address(es) for your subnet, I'm gonna use mine as an example (192.168.1.1). Anything in the range of 192.168.0.0 -> 192.168.255.255 is private, always as a standard. Thing is, 192.168.0.0/16 or 192.168.1.0/16 is the most familiar to everyone, most ISP's networking equipment will be configured like this out-of-the-box. Here's a suggestion for the local subnet addressing usage:

[192.168.1.x]
.1 [Default Gateway]
.2 -> .31 [Servers]
.32 -> .63 [Printers and Print Servers]
.64 -> . .239 [DHCP]
.240 -> .253 [Network Equipment]

Choose your D8B/HDR address from the that DHCP pool of addresses, careful not to reuse any existing address already in use. That along with the first three octets of the gateway address (192.168.1.x) will define the ftp server on the LAN. Use the subnet (255.255.255.0) amd gateway (192.168.1.1) values accordingly.

General Tab:
Protocol : FTP - FIle Transport Protocol
Host : 192.168.1.127 {D8B network address I use, enter yours here}
Port : 21 {default on most ftp servers, probably don't have to fill this in}
Encryption : Only use plain FTP (insecure)
Logon Type : Normal
User : anonymous {use any username, the server will ask for one if not supplied}
Password : {just leave this blank}

Transfer Settings Tab:
Transfer Mode : Passive

Connect

I just bump the address by one digit for the HDR. Right click on the connection just made, duplicate it, rename it and change the address accordingly... done. Both pieces of gear are now ftp accessible. An important point to remember here is this is an OLD ftp server embedded in the MackieOS - that's the reason for the 'Only use plain FTP (insecure)' encryption setting on the General tab, and the 'Passive' transfer mode setting of the Transfer Settings tab. The FTP protocol has come a long way since then:

filezilla_site_manager_macos.png
filezilla_site_manager_macos.png (Array KiB) Viewed 2675 times

filezilla_transfer_settings_macos.png
filezilla_transfer_settings_macos.png (Array KiB) Viewed 2675 times

filezilla_d8b_view_macos.png
filezilla_d8b_view_macos.png (Array KiB) Viewed 2675 times

This is pretty 'quick-n-dirty', so if anyone has any sort of questions, just post 'em here and I'll do my best to answer them accordingly.

Apologies in advance for wasting anyone's bandwidth, as I realize this was rather lengthy...

Oh, and of course you knew it was coming, so here it is:
[Standard Management Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:14 pm

Hey Dok!

One of the many things I love about this Forum! Options!

Thanks DOK. I shall copy this to a safe place for future use! Brilliant detail!

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders