Change font size   Print view

Is a Compact Flash Card in a RH58 Media Tray Possible?

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Re: Is a Compact Flash Card in a RH58 Media Tray Possible?

Postby Steam Radio » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:30 pm

Ok thank you I know the cards you mention, great, I've got the upgrade bios chip which came with my HDR but it was never installed so I think I'll go head and install it and get the CF card you recommend, can't thank you enough for your time, cheers.
Steam Radio

Postby arjepsen » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:34 pm

yw :-)
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Steam Radio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:17 pm

Update on my looking into mounting a CF card into an RH58 media tray has turned up trumps
as I was going to purchase some cards and card readers I bought a few other bits to experiment with and looks like I may have cracked it,
I bought a 3.5 IDE drive bay to single CF StarTech CF ADAPTER CARD READER which has a jumper on it put the CF card into Master or Slave mode from Ebay and few cards, a 4gb sandisk Exteme III 30mb/s which wasn't fast enough so could only used for backup but testing a (Recommended by Arjepsen) 32gb Sandisk Gold Label Extreme 120mb/s on my HDR worked out, I installed the StarTech CF ADAPTER CARD READER into the media tray (it was a snug fit but went in with no trouble, snug enough that it won't need screws to hold it in place) after formating it on my HDR it did the usual read/write test and it informed me that the card was fast enough and good for recording, so I went head and tranfered some projects to the 32gb card and it worked perfectly. So I'm going to mark this one as ticked off my Mackie bucket list.

Steam Radio

Postby arjepsen » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:17 pm

That surprises me!
In my tests, every time I put the adapter in the tray like you show, the HDR told me it wasnt fast enough for recording.
Only when I connected the CF adapter directly on the motherboard did it work out.
(and I tried with two different adapters - the startech being one of them).
Anyways - great that you could make it work! :-)
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Steam Radio » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:27 am

It surprised me to if I'm honest, I just took a chance, I'm going to purchase another two identical cards the same as you recommended to me and two more of the drive bay adapters to see if it was just a fluke, I'll report back and let you know what happens.
Steam Radio

Postby Old School » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:13 pm

Hi All,
I found out the hard way that there are a lot of CF card counterfeiters out there. Check out this link https://photographylife.com/fake-memory-cards I suspect this is why some of us were never able to
get the CF card tray to work. Congratulations on your success!

Have a blessed day,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders